The Student Room Group

Why is he acting this way

My ex and I have been together for three years. This week, less than two days ago he broke up with me. I initially left but came back when he begged me saying we could fix things. When I asked him how he could change his mind overnight he told me how all of my friends called him toxic and how he cried himself to sleep realising he’s destroying me being with me he said he loves me but he wants to be single to focus on himself and his mental health.

I obviously cried and begged him to come back but he said I was guilt tripping me saying he cant fall back into the same toxic cycle. We were both toxic but a few days ago he begged me saying this was just a bump that our differences could be solved that three years we accomplished and went through so much obstacles together. He made a TSR thread about me calling me out as abusive without even talking about his own behaviour towards me.

Since breaking up with me he’s been hot and cold he’s behaved posessive and jealous when I even told him some creepy guy was staring at me bc I was crying he said that I’d probably chat him up and creepy guys are my type. He flirted with me the day we broke up saying he can have my female parts whenever he wants when I tried being firm he said he wont have it then. Knowing I wouldn’t like it.

He told me he’d be lucky to be my flatmate at uni and that we’d still hang out but then goes to saying oh well times change. Later that night he says Uno I cant resist ur body etc etc

When I confronted him about his jealousy he says he’ll adjust to this new normal and get over it and told me over time our love would just lessen to platonic love. Which broke me. I texted him why he said he’d never leave me and that his heart beated for me if he didn’t mean it he said he said it bc he did and he doesn’t have to provide a reason to me

I really want him back we promised our whole lives I really think he’s my soulmate we would say the same things all the time he stuck with me through thick and thin

Last night I had a kidney infection without knowing I got rushed to A&E and I wasn’t treating it because I didn’t even pay attention to it . During that time my best friend spoke to my boyfriend and tried to guilt trip him into staying which only pushed him away.

He wants to be friends with me, or wanted to yesterday before I had my infection. When I was at hospital my friend stupidly said that my other male friend who my boyfriend despises was coming to visit me and my ex replied “keep him away” when my friend asked him why my ex replied “well that’s blown everything him being there” and then he replied “I ain’t taking her back then” my friend then told my ex that he’d get rid of this other bloke and my boyfriend goes too late.

Then when I came home he told me he was going to die and he needed to go to hospital before going offline for 13hrs during which I panicked and spam called him I got worried his long covid was affecting his health.

Today he popped up and said he passed out due to alcohol and that he’s now drinking cider he showed me his cider cans he told me he was going to die and how he had mental health issues his whole life and it was never going to get better.

I am trying so hard just to be there for him I’ve told him I can empathise and I’m here for him just like I’ve always been and that I’m his bestfriend he then tells me no one wants to be his friend. I said I’m still wearing his necklace and he told me to wear it to his funeral.

Today he’s been acting all depressed reaching out to a friend who knew him through school I asked for advice, and he said to make him understand you’re there for him which I did I said Ik what he’s doing and I feel close to giving up and he told me everyone gives up on him and I said not me, I said I was there for him and I am the same girl who helped him and he goes nobody can help.

I feel close to giving up I just want him back I read the no contact rule might work. We were so happy less than two days ago he wanted to make it work and although I didn’t I softened bc he is my soft spot I can never stay mad or leave him for long enough I thought he felt the same :frown:

Pls what do I do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
My ex and I have been together for three years. This week, less than two days ago he broke up with me. I initially left but came back when he begged me saying we could fix things. When I asked him how he could change his mind overnight he told me how all of my friends called him toxic and how he cried himself to sleep realising he’s destroying me being with me he said he loves me but he wants to be single to focus on himself and his mental health.

I obviously cried and begged him to come back but he said I was guilt tripping me saying he cant fall back into the same toxic cycle. We were both toxic but a few days ago he begged me saying this was just a bump that our differences could be solved that three years we accomplished and went through so much obstacles together. He made a TSR thread about me calling me out as abusive without even talking about his own behaviour towards me.

Since breaking up with me he’s been hot and cold he’s behaved posessive and jealous when I even told him some creepy guy was staring at me bc I was crying he said that I’d probably chat him up and creepy guys are my type. He flirted with me the day we broke up saying he can have my female parts whenever he wants when I tried being firm he said he wont have it then. Knowing I wouldn’t like it.

He told me he’d be lucky to be my flatmate at uni and that we’d still hang out but then goes to saying oh well times change. Later that night he says Uno I cant resist ur body etc etc

When I confronted him about his jealousy he says he’ll adjust to this new normal and get over it and told me over time our love would just lessen to platonic love. Which broke me. I texted him why he said he’d never leave me and that his heart beated for me if he didn’t mean it he said he said it bc he did and he doesn’t have to provide a reason to me

I really want him back we promised our whole lives I really think he’s my soulmate we would say the same things all the time he stuck with me through thick and thin

Last night I had a kidney infection without knowing I got rushed to A&E and I wasn’t treating it because I didn’t even pay attention to it . During that time my best friend spoke to my boyfriend and tried to guilt trip him into staying which only pushed him away.

He wants to be friends with me, or wanted to yesterday before I had my infection. When I was at hospital my friend stupidly said that my other male friend who my boyfriend despises was coming to visit me and my ex replied “keep him away” when my friend asked him why my ex replied “well that’s blown everything him being there” and then he replied “I ain’t taking her back then” my friend then told my ex that he’d get rid of this other bloke and my boyfriend goes too late.

Then when I came home he told me he was going to die and he needed to go to hospital before going offline for 13hrs during which I panicked and spam called him I got worried his long covid was affecting his health.

Today he popped up and said he passed out due to alcohol and that he’s now drinking cider he showed me his cider cans he told me he was going to die and how he had mental health issues his whole life and it was never going to get better.

I am trying so hard just to be there for him I’ve told him I can empathise and I’m here for him just like I’ve always been and that I’m his bestfriend he then tells me no one wants to be his friend. I said I’m still wearing his necklace and he told me to wear it to his funeral.

Today he’s been acting all depressed reaching out to a friend who knew him through school I asked for advice, and he said to make him understand you’re there for him which I did I said Ik what he’s doing and I feel close to giving up and he told me everyone gives up on him and I said not me, I said I was there for him and I am the same girl who helped him and he goes nobody can help.

I feel close to giving up I just want him back I read the no contact rule might work. We were so happy less than two days ago he wanted to make it work and although I didn’t I softened bc he is my soft spot I can never stay mad or leave him for long enough I thought he felt the same :frown:

Pls what do I do

The ❤️.
Follow your heart and never go for less.
Sometimes love one who loves you.
Not one whom you love, else you will end up being used.
The ❤️.
Follow your heart and never go for less.
Sometimes love one who loves you.
Not one whom you love, else you will end up being used.

My heart is saying he’s the one he never gave up not like this.

he’s now saying he’ll hurt himself and I said why he goes because he deserves it because of his existence when I said tell me the truth he goes because I ruin lives I said yeah you do by leaving them he gave me a sad face and I said so don’t leave it’s self sabotage he’s pushing me further away! I don’t know why! When he should be pulling me closer if he’s so “upset” and he is drunk over my life.

he says I was happier before I met and I said how do you know that? How how can he make that excuse up here doesn’t know .

I know I always said in arguments I shouldn’t have met him and I was happy but I never put two and two together and said I was happier without him.

he knows how my ex treated me before he came along..

why is he doing this? Is it for attention? Is he close to asking me back?
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
You need to go no contact for at least 2 weeks and stick to it.
To give both of you time to calmly decide what type of future each of you want and to allow him to consider whether he is willing to improve his behaviour towards you & other people.

This relationship is not happy or stable and never will be unless a lot of changes are made.
The only way to improve the situation is to break the vicious circle and force change.
You can't force anyone else to change.
That is something that they have to choose and genuinely commit to themselves.
But you can make changes yourself and setup dealbreaker to ensure that you are never closely involved in any toxic relationship again.
Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
You need to go no contact for at least 2 weeks and stick to it.
To give both of you time to calmly decide what type of future each of you want and to allow him to consider whether he is willing to improve his behaviour towards you & other people.

This relationship is not happy or stable and never will be unless a lot of changes are made.
The only way to improve the situation is to break the vicious circle and force change.
You can't force anyone else to change.
That is something that they have to choose and genuinely commit to themselves.
But you can make changes yourself and setup dealbreaker to ensure that you are never closely involved in any toxic relationship again.
Good luck!

Thank you do you know why he might be acting suicidal he told me he ruin things and when I said you ruined mine by leaving he got sad I think it’s all self sabotage. bc he responded by saying everyone gave up on him when I mentioned I was close to giving up. I said he didn’t have to do this bc he doesnt. We were together for three years.

I said when he was with me his existence gave him life so he doesn’t need to leave bc it’s not doing me any good. He then said I lived before him And was happier before him.

I replied and told him he doesn’t know that he wasn’t there he didn’t know me he didn’t know I was happier without him.

I just don’t understand his behaviour at all :/ and it’s not fair on me because I love him i was there for him through his loved ones death, through when he had covid, his last breakups. I was by his side he told me I was his rock less than 4 months ago. He told me he’d be long gone without me. I just don’t understand how he could go from wanting to fix things to maybe hinting out mental health’s might worsen if we stay to outright wanting to leave.

I know I can’t force anyone back but he’s clearly been hot and cold he called my body beautiful and his home less than two days ago and even yesterday he said right to my friend when she told him I was still the love of his life.

I just cant gage In his detrimental behaviour.
Reply 5
Why do you think not communicating with each other will help?

If a relationship is strong, partners will talk to and support each other through difficult times. That's not what happening here; you are both being immature and failing to address the real issues, and why would you stay with someone who has no love, care or respect for you?
Original post by Surnia
Why do you think not communicating with each other will help?

If a relationship is strong, partners will talk to and support each other through difficult times. That's not what happening here; you are both being immature and failing to address the real issues, and why would you stay with someone who has no love, care or respect for you?

I’ve tried that I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt. We sometimes did worksheets and couples worksheets. We agreed to compromise its just lately my anxiety’s been wound up because he’s been abroad. He had shown lack of interest the past two weeks because of long Covid he was whinging for 18 days but refusing to do anything about it. And was being overly dramatic I started of sympathetic but when you give someone advice and all they do is counteract that or not listen and continue to not get help it gets frustrating. He called me belittling and I called him entitled and I thought god we were so different but looking back I really don’t understand why I fussed over that. He asked me over the weekend to patch things up we agreed to pick up the pieces.

Sunday I got anxious now this was because he was being distant I know him and I know when he’s off. It sounded like his mind was changing he was more so hinting at me to leave and usually his mind only changes like that when he’s being influenced I just thought because he came back from holiday maybe he was speaking to a girl so I asked if he could show me his socials and he ignored that and then refused to show me he said we were having private space when that’s not what we discussed earlier he then said he got fed up and that he was going to sleep.

the next day so this Monday started off with him saying he cried to sleep because he thought he was ruining me. He said he didn’t want to make the wrong decision and I said me neither I agreed we could have a week to see but he said his mind was made up. All my friends were telling him to leave me they all thought he was a bigger red flag then I was.

He said he was scared of our mental health’s worsening if we stayed together and thought it was going to worsen in the future.

And by your last question do you think it seems like he doesn’t love me? Because he says he does.

I have been trying to talk it out he wanted to talk it out few days ago and now it’s like the tables have turned.
Reply 7
Being abusive, possessive, jealous, manipulative; are those the traits of someone who loves you?

Then again, name-calling, checking his socials, admittedly being toxic, wanting no contact; what about your part in this?

You are both better off finishing this and not inflicting your worst behaviours on each other. He can't keep using mental health to excuse the way he's been acting and it sounds like he's not a nice person anyway.
Both toxic. Both negatively impacting each other. You need to cut off contact and end the relationship for everybody’s good.
Original post by Surnia
Being abusive, possessive, jealous, manipulative; are those the traits of someone who loves you?

Then again, name-calling, checking his socials, admittedly being toxic, wanting no contact; what about your part in this?

You are both better off finishing this and not inflicting your worst behaviours on each other. He can't keep using mental health to excuse the way he's been acting and it sounds like he's not a nice person anyway.

Thing is he flirted behind my back with girls and since then the trust dissipated I really don’t want to leave him.

I don’t get it he says he ruined my life and that it’s going to be better without him in it he then said bc I can run to another bloke and he can end up with seeing a doctor about his depression. I suggested time apart and he says yes 60 years. He seems to be dictating and adamant my life is better but how can he say that when he’s not me.

I don’t get what he wants at this point he says he doesn’t want to fix things together he doesn’t want us to have a future together because he wants to focus on himself but so far focusing on himself means getting drunk and saying he’s suffering. Why tell me he’s suffering if he knows what I’ll say and then tell me he wants to suffer alone
He got you writing this and worrying about him even though you had an kidney infection? This man got you falling hard but you need to get out of there. Keep yourself away from him or you’ll end up hurting yourself even more. No more excuses or anything, read what you written. That doesn’t sound like a healthy relationship and you just gonna get yourself hurt if you keep going
It's pretty obvious what you should do. I don't even have to read this because I notice key words here. Strong, negative words about your ex. "Obsessive, aggressive, depressed, guilt tripping, begged, destroying, possessive, jealous..."

Why on earth are you still confused....?
Original post by Bang Outta Order
It's pretty obvious what you should do. I don't even have to read this because I notice key words here. Strong, negative words about your ex. "Obsessive, aggressive, depressed, guilt tripping, begged, destroying, possessive, jealous..."

Why on earth are you still confused....?

I’m confused about his behaviour why is he being hot and cold.

he literally told me he’s not ruining it by leaving me and I’m free to run to any man and that he doesn’t want to get back together but then when I told him I’ve given up he sends sad face emojis unless and I’m dreading even asking unless he wants to be single and really pin it down on it being down to me as if it’s all for my benefit when actually it isn’t for my benefit? Is he trying to say he wants to be single and just make it out as if I wanted this all along so he can walk away scotch free is that why he’s drinking alcohol and getting depressed so he can act like nobody loves him and that’s why he split up w me. :/ if that’s the case then maybe everyone is right. It just hurts bc he was there for me at my lowest he pushed me to pursue my dreams I had my latest operation 3 weeks ago and he was the only one who saw me when my mum didn’t :/

none of this adds up and I’m feeling so raw so emotional and so lonely even though I’m surrounded by loads of people.
He's acting this way because he's toxic and a drama queen.

You said...
"Since breaking up with me he’s been hot and cold he’s behaved posessive and jealous when I even told him some creepy guy was staring at me bc I was crying he said that I’d probably chat him up and creepy guys are my type. He flirted with me the day we broke up saying he can have my female parts whenever he wants when I tried being firm he said he wont have it then. Knowing I wouldn’t like it."

Does that sound like someone who cares about destroying you? He's broken up with you because he doesn't want to hurt you yet he still manages to hurt you and play these games. Care about yourself and cut him off. It hurts now but being out of a toxic relationship feels GOOD you won't regret it in the long run.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by xox416
He's acting this way because he's toxic and a drama queen.

You said...
"Since breaking up with me he’s been hot and cold he’s behaved posessive and jealous when I even told him some creepy guy was staring at me bc I was crying he said that I’d probably chat him up and creepy guys are my type. He flirted with me the day we broke up saying he can have my female parts whenever he wants when I tried being firm he said he wont have it then. Knowing I wouldn’t like it."

Does that sound like someone who cares about destroying you? He's broken up with you because he doesn't want to hurt you yet he still manages to hurt you and play these games. Care about yourself and cut him off. It hurts now but being out of a toxic relationship feels GOOD you won't regret it in the long run.

You’re right today I have cried less. He told me everyone gives up on me and I said i didn’t I said you did. He wants me to give up so I give up I told him he was just like everyone else. I’ve been left before people leave me. It’s nothing new.

he told me I was pushing him away for months and now that he’s doing the same I suddenly hate it and he says it makes no sense.

But it does I knew he’d leave. Everyone leaves me. I’ve had exes before (short term y non serious ones) and they left. I’ve had friends who left and Uno what? I don’t deserve that.

I’m going off to medical school, because I dreamed about it and even though I felt like giving up and pushed that away because I’m stubborn and lacked self confidence I persevered. I have done jobs I hated and didn’t give up even though I felt like it. So I don’t walk away I don’t give up on life. But if he wants to give up on this relationship which he said at “the moment i feel like I do then so be it.

But yeah I obvs feel sad and I feel mugged off. He and others are the reason why I have my guards up why I am too afraid to love, why I was always cold hearted yet was with him every single day through thick and thin I wrote him poems, I held his hand. But uno some people take advantage of people who try their best in everything they do.

I said to him if he needs time to think this through and whether he wants to give up then he should have time but if not I’m not fussed anymore because I’m tired of loving someone way more than they love me, story of my life I guess.
You’re right today I have cried less. He told me everyone gives up on me and I said i didn’t I said you did. He wants me to give up so I give up I told him he was just like everyone else. I’ve been left before people leave me. It’s nothing new.

he told me I was pushing him away for months and now that he’s doing the same I suddenly hate it and he says it makes no sense.

But it does I knew he’d leave. Everyone leaves me. I’ve had exes before (short term y non serious ones) and they left. I’ve had friends who left and Uno what? I don’t deserve that.

I’m going off to medical school, because I dreamed about it and even though I felt like giving up and pushed that away because I’m stubborn and lacked self confidence I persevered. I have done jobs I hated and didn’t give up even though I felt like it. So I don’t walk away I don’t give up on life. But if he wants to give up on this relationship which he said at “the moment i feel like I do then so be it.

But yeah I obvs feel sad and I feel mugged off. He and others are the reason why I have my guards up why I am too afraid to love, why I was always cold hearted yet was with him every single day through thick and thin I wrote him poems, I held his hand. But uno some people take advantage of people who try their best in everything they do.

I said to him if he needs time to think this through and whether he wants to give up then he should have time but if not I’m not fussed anymore because I’m tired of loving someone way more than they love me, story of my life I guess.

Why are you telling him all this? Move in silence. He broke up with you..stop allowing him to jerk you around, and youre even giving him the option to come back if he wants:confused:. This behaviour isn't cute nor romantic.

You mentioned that he was flirting with other girls, I bet this is a big part of the reason why he's acting this way.
Original post by xox416
Why are you telling him all this? Move in silence. He broke up with you..stop allowing him to jerk you around, and youre even giving him the option to come back if he wants:confused:. This behaviour isn't cute nor romantic.

You mentioned that he was flirting with other girls, I bet this is a big part of the reason why he's acting this way.

NAhs he told me he doesn’t wanna be tied down to me “what don’t you understand about me being single”

I didn’t tell him to sound cute or romantic I told him this bc I’m being honest something which he isn’t.

He said he’s not a good person bc he doesn’t want to be.

I said I’ve given up on him he goes okay bye then..

Says there isn’t anyone says he doesn’t want to be in a relationship bc it’s toxic.

Cant flog a dead horse anymore

Thing is love is determination If he was feeling this way for a while which he said he was he could’ve spoken to me like a mature adult..

He says he needs 60-70 years worth of space. I’m so angry I’m not even sad rn this is exactly why I don’t get on w anyone!
Original post by xox416

My friend told me that too he went to turkey he was like Yh bc having covid means I’m seeing girls.

He followed a girl from his apartment bar in turkey. Says he follows all bar staff and nothing personal but after saying he’d stay away from girls and not even telling me this but me finding out.

He told everyone on tsr that I was toxic which I admit I was but mentally he was never right to begin with. The things he’d tell me every other girl told me he was a red flag I don’t care who he finds and if that is the reason bc I know it wont last long that’s why they’re called rebounds. I should know I was once his second best 😂😂
You’re both toxic messes tbh. Don’t really get what you see in a person like that to think they’re your “soulmate”. In any case, such toxic behaviour really isn’t conducive to a stable, long term relationship.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Son of the Sea
You’re both toxic messes tbh. Don’t really get what you see in a person like that to think they’re your “soulmate”. In any case, such toxic behaviour really isn’t conducive to a stable, long term relationship.

But I was never like that before I should’ve listened to the other girls saying he was toxic but I thought he was just misunderstood ;/ and I guess I got caught in it way too long I always said to people I should’ve left along time ago. I gave him chances in the hopes he would but he says he doesn’t care about that so maybe it’s time for me to stop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending