The Student Room Group

Application is under review

Hi , so today is results day and I got my insurance choice acceptance back , check ucas it’s currently 10 am and still no answer from my firm and I called the University admissions office , and the lady said my application ‘is under review with the tutors I’m confused as to what that means because I haven’t met the conditions for my offer as I know from my grades obviously so why haven’t I out right been rejected ? Has this happened to anyone ? I want to get my accom sorted and it’s annoying with no reply do I wait longer through the day or call again ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chi2020
Hi , so today is results day and I got my insurance choice acceptance back , check ucas it’s currently 10 am and still no answer from my firm and I called the University admissions office , and the lady said my application ‘is under review with the tutors I’m confused as to what that means because I haven’t met the conditions for my offer as I know from my grades obviously so why haven’t I out right been rejected ? Has this happened to anyone ? I want to get my accom sorted and it’s annoying with no reply do I wait longer through the day or call again ?

OK - so it sounds like the university is considering you as a near miss candidate. Can I ask which university this is?

They shouldn't be holding onto you like this as it prevents you from applying elsewhere. I'd suggest giving them a call and asking when you can expect a decision.

It's up to you how long you're willing to wait - it's ok to say 'if you can't make a decision by 12pm please decline me' or similar, but it really depends how much you want to go there, and whether you'd rather just go to your insurance or look for something else in Clearing.
Original post by Chi2020

Crikey that’s not great. Are you much off from your firm entry grades?
Fairly sure the Unis get the results days before for exactly this reason, so they can instantly tell you a decision on the day. I agree with the other poster, understand you might not want to ‘burn your bridges’ with them, but they aren’t really seeing you as a person here. I’d ring back & politely ask how long it will be, explain you’d really like to go there but your insurance have confirmed & have told you, you must confirm asap to secure accommodation etc. It’s really unfair how they’re leaving you hanging.
Hope you get sorted today 🤞🏻.
Reply 3
Original post by BarryScott2022
Crikey that’s not great. Are you much off from your firm entry grades?
Fairly sure the Unis get the results days before for exactly this reason, so they can instantly tell you a decision on the day. I agree with the other poster, understand you might not want to ‘burn your bridges’ with them, but they aren’t really seeing you as a person here. I’d ring back & politely ask how long it will be, explain you’d really like to go there but your insurance have confirmed & have told you, you must confirm asap to secure accommodation etc. It’s really unfair how they’re leaving you hanging.
Hope you get sorted today 🤞🏻.

Thank you yes I agree I can’t sort out my accommodation or nothing or accept my insurance , I have already paid £200 deposit for my accom for my firm and being left hanging it’s really irritating me , as you said they get our results before us so this doesn’t happen I can’t even go into clearing or secure accom . And yes I am quite off from their offer conditions actually greatly off by two grades , quite a lot which is why I don’t understand this whole under review by tutors it should be a out right rejection
Reply 4
Original post by Charlotte's Web
OK - so it sounds like the university is considering you as a near miss candidate. Can I ask which university this is?

They shouldn't be holding onto you like this as it prevents you from applying elsewhere. I'd suggest giving them a call and asking when you can expect a decision.

It's up to you how long you're willing to wait - it's ok to say 'if you can't make a decision by 12pm please decline me' or similar, but it really depends how much you want to go there, and whether you'd rather just go to your insurance or look for something else in Clearing.

it’s not even a near miss I have missed by far , completely messed up my biology and chemistry to be fair the advanced information did me dirty by AQA . (Also personal medical issues ) the admissions team lady said she will ‘chase them down it’s been two three hours no reply
Reply 5
I find this quite unacceptable since they had our grades way before we do and because of clearing the lines are just so long to get through to them I’m on wait for hours
Original post by Chi2020
I find this quite unacceptable since they had our grades way before we do and because of clearing the lines are just so long to get through to them I’m on wait for hours

Unis will sometimes accept people with significantly lower grades (they can accept who they like!). But it isn't fair on you to leave you in limbo like this. Call them and find out - and if you want to go to your insurance place, you can ask them to just reject you. Which uni are you waiting on?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Chi2020
it’s not even a near miss I have missed by far , completely messed up my biology and chemistry to be fair the advanced information did me dirty by AQA . (Also personal medical issues ) the admissions team lady said she will ‘chase them down it’s been two three hours no reply

Which university is doing this?

How are you feeling about what you want to do, would you rather wait for this university or go elsewhere?

Universities aren't allowed to keep holding applicants unfairly - UCAS prohibits this and we can raise it with them, and you can too if you like. They have your grades so should make a decision. I'd be contacting them again to get a firm timescale and find out what the hold up is.
It really depends how keen you are on your firm. If you’re happy to go for your insurance I’d be inclined. They know how much will be riding on this & I’ve just read they get the results up to a week before so there’s no excuse to have not decided by now. Only thing I can think of is they’re hedging their bets to see if they get better results coming in through clearing. Which imo makes them a bit of a sh*tty Uni anyway.

I really feel for you! Have you had a look at clearing just to see what else is out there?
Which university is doing this?

How are you feeling about what you want to do, would you rather wait for this university or go elsewhere?

Universities aren't allowed to keep holding applicants unfairly - UCAS prohibits this and we can raise it with them, and you can too if you like. They have your grades so should make a decision. I'd be contacting them again to get a firm timescale and find out what the hold up is.

Agree with this. I’d be fuming. As I said above. I think they’re just hedging their bets to see if they get better via clearing. Totally wrong & certainly not treating person as an individual. I think I’d take insurance offer on principle.
Original post by BarryScott2022
Agree with this. I’d be fuming. As I said above. I think they’re just hedging their bets to see if they get better via clearing. Totally wrong & certainly not treating person as an individual. I think I’d take insurance offer on principle.

Yeah it's a really tricky one. There is definitely a feeling of being messed around and treated with a lack of respect, but it's hard to balance that with actually wanting to go to that university and making plans around that for the last year or more. Ultimately shoddy admissions procedures are quite separate from the course so it's a hard decision.
Original post by Chi2020

Literally in the same situation as you right now with regards to Cardiff. I missed by a mile off. It's torture the fact that my application is somehow still 'on hold' despite my grades being given and knowing just how far off they are. Just want to know what situation I'm in before I run out of choices. If they don't want me, I want to know and try a place in clearing somewhere
Original post by AliceRoseGuy
Literally in the same situation as you right now with regards to Cardiff. I missed by a mile off. It's torture the fact that my application is somehow still 'on hold' despite my grades being given and knowing just how far off they are. Just want to know what situation I'm in before I run out of choices. If they don't want me, I want to know and try a place in clearing somewhere

As above, ring them to get an answer ASAP
Original post by Interrobang
As above, ring them to get an answer ASAP

I have rung them TWICE today, and still no answers.

Keep trying. And try pestering them on social media too if you can while you're on hold

There might a problem getting through on their end rn, best to keep trying over the course of today. Sorry this isn't more help!
Yeah it's a really tricky one. There is definitely a feeling of being messed around and treated with a lack of respect, but it's hard to balance that with actually wanting to go to that university and making plans around that for the last year or more. Ultimately shoddy admissions procedures are quite separate from the course so it's a hard decision.

Totally agree. That’s why I said if the OP isn’t definitely set on there. But if they are then unfortunately they’ll have to wait & play their waiting game.
Original post by Interrobang
Keep trying. And try pestering them on social media too if you can while you're on hold

I called earlier and they said that my application was on hold. I'm literally sitting here with my hands tied rn. They won't give me any more answers.
I called earlier and they said that my application was on hold. I'm literally sitting here with my hands tied rn. They won't give me any more answers.

What course is this for? Sorry if it's already been asked, I am probably a little blind!
Psychology Bsc. I was predicted AAA, ended up with ACU. Cardiff was my firm choice, York my insurance have already rejected me, I have no idea why it is taking so long For Cardiff to do the same, it feels like they're putting off the inevitable :frown:
Original post by barror1
What course is this for? Sorry if it's already been asked, I am probably a little blind!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending