The Student Room Group

Dealing with Homesickness

Hi there.

I'm really excited to start at Birmingham City University in September, studying media production, but there is one thing that has been on my mind, especially since I had got my offer of accommodation.

I have never stayed away from home as long as I will be when I move in September, and I am worried about getting bad homesickness, which could tarnish my time getting settled into halls.

The longest I've ever stayed away from home is around a week or 2, back in 2017, since then I had only stayed away from home once, for one night.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could overcome homesickness, as well as the anxiety of moving away from home, so I can settle in and get started with my time at BCU?
Original post by FAMER4
Hi there.

I'm really excited to start at Birmingham City University in September, studying media production, but there is one thing that has been on my mind, especially since I had got my offer of accommodation.

I have never stayed away from home as long as I will be when I move in September, and I am worried about getting bad homesickness, which could tarnish my time getting settled into halls.

The longest I've ever stayed away from home is around a week or 2, back in 2017, since then I had only stayed away from home once, for one night.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could overcome homesickness, as well as the anxiety of moving away from home, so I can settle in and get started with my time at BCU?

Hi,
I have definitely struggled with these same feelings of homesickness at university! My main advice would be to create your fresh start and surround yourself with people, keeping you busy and enabling you to properly settle in your accommodation. Whilst University may feel like a lonely place, it will give you a new sense of independence which you may not find where you would have used to have lived. Another piece of important advice I found had helped a lot is decoration! Make your room personal to you and decorate to make it feel like home, let it be a place of comfort and a new familiarity.
Good luck and I hope this helped!
- Malek :smile:
University of Kent Rep
Along with the advice provided above, try to take comfort in the fact that tons of students every year move to university feeling homesick during the first few weeks. I felt like this to begin with.

Once you get into the routine of things, it gets a lot easier. Taking advantage of having your own personal space definitely helps. Personalise your room, take some pictures or objects you'd normally have in your normal bedroom.

Before you go to uni, you could buy a new room spray and spray it in your bedroom at home to get used to the scent. Then take it with you to uni and use it there. It'll make your surroundings feel more familiar.

If things ever get too much, don't hesitate to reach out to student support. They see students who feel homesick all the time at the start of the year.

Good luck with your studies!
Reply 3
Original post by Meduse
Before you go to uni, you could buy a new room spray and spray it in your bedroom at home to get used to the scent. Then take it with you to uni and use it there. It'll make your surroundings feel more familiar.

Where can I find one of these new room sprays? I'll try this one out.
Original post by FAMER4
Where can I find one of these new room sprays? I'll try this one out.

Most furniture/homeware stores do them. M&S and John Lewis have some nice ones!

You can also purchase them online.
Original post by FAMER4
Hi there.

Hey @FAMER4

It's great to hear you're feeling really excited about starting university this September! :smile:

Feeling homesick is common and totally normal, but I'm sure you'll soon settle in and find your feet. If you end up feeling homesick, just let those feelings come and go, it's nothing to be ashamed of nor a weakness, maybe just put a time limit on feeling that way - give yourself 24 hours, and then go for a walk, treat yourself to something nice, give a loved one a call. Keeping yourself busy is key!

You could also bring home comforts along with you like something from childhood or something that gives you lovely memories.

Getting stuck into university events and activities should help you overcome homesickness, have you thought about joining any clubs or societies?

I hope you have the best time at uni, and I'm sure the anxiety of moving away from home will soon pass!

Becky
Reply 6
Try to get stuck into every social outing going, to do every social event possible, and get to know your in 'crowd' for at least a couple of weeks, and more. With a bit of shuffling you will find your group of like minded friends. It can take six months or more to embed new routines, settle with new friends and learn about your new town.

In your head allow yourself one escape visit home on a weekend mid term (appreciate this might not be possible for costs etc)

Consider also that you have the shortest terms and the longest Christmas, Easter and Summer holidays ever!!
Tell yourself Uni is your choice to stay away and further your own education (& life), and it will be worth it eventually. But you can also have a mental safety net to know you can still go home. By the time you see home again it should take five minutes just to see it is just the same boring, boring and even more boring. Get your washing done, stock up on goodies and then come back to the madhouse. Woohoo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending