The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JAKOEMP

When writing ps is it okay to include the awards that I have achieved during my high school years like the ones from 2018?

If the awards are relevant to architecture then include them.
Original post by taehyungpengting
Thank you and congrats on submitting ur application hopefully u start to receive offers soon!! Could I ask what’s your top choice uni? And also why you chose Sheffield, I know it’s good in terms of ranking but I thought it’s reputation isn’t that good, perhaps I got it wrong but I want to apply there aswell but everyone is saying not to so I’m so indecisive 🥲

Sheffield has a very good repuatation for its architecture school and has had for many years.
(edited 1 year ago)
Good luck everyone who is submitting their applications!

Sheffield is one of the Top 5 Architecture schools in the country.

If anyone is considering choosing Sheffield as an option but has any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Meg
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni

If anyone is considering choosing Sheffield as an option but has any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Meg

Hi!! Does Sheffield consider AS grades as part of the application, or are predicted grades more important ?

also what sorts of things should we include in the portfolio that Sheffield admission officers/ all admission officers like to see? Thank you for the reply in advance!! :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni

Meg

Hi,
I have applied for the structural engineering and architecture course.
The website mentions that we have to submit a piece about our lane/neighbourhood etc and write 400 words on it. It also mentions that we can only submit 6 pieces. So is that a part of the 6 pieces or 6 pieces are supposed to be in addition to that?
Hi!! Does Sheffield consider AS grades as part of the application, or are predicted grades more important ?

also what sorts of things should we include in the portfolio that Sheffield admission officers/ all admission officers like to see? Thank you for the reply in advance!! :smile:

Hi @taehyungpengting,

Great question! Predicted grades and the grades that you go on to achieve are the most important as these are what our entry criteria is based on.

With regards to the portfolio, admission tutors like to see critical thinking, creativity and imagination. Most importantly thou they like to see work that represents you, your passions, interest's skills etc.

Here is the link to the guidance page for portfolios which you may find useful. https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/architecture/undergraduate/how-apply/portfolio-submission-guidance

If you have any other questions just let me know

Meg
Original post by Virona
Hi,
I have applied for the structural engineering and architecture course.
The website mentions that we have to submit a piece about our lane/neighbourhood etc and write 400 words on it. It also mentions that we can only submit 6 pieces. So is that a part of the 6 pieces or 6 pieces are supposed to be in addition to that?

Hi @Virona,

Here is the dedicated email address for admissions for this course [email protected]
I'd recommend emailing them to double check as they are the ones who set and judge the portfolio tasks.

If you have any further questions just let me know

Meg
Reply 27
UCL has requested me to submit a 10 page portfolio. Considering, there will be a cover page does that mean my portfolio can only be 9 pages?
Original post by Virona
UCL has requested me to submit a 10 page portfolio. Considering, there will be a cover page does that mean my portfolio can only be 9 pages?

@MeliM might be able to help. They had an offer from UCL last year and have been on TSR recently.
Original post by Virona

Did you have an interview yet? Or did you just send your personal statement and did the task? What was your task if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 30
Original post by normaw
@MeliM might be able to help. They had an offer from UCL last year and have been on TSR recently.

Thank you! @MeliM please let me know :smile:
Reply 31
Did you have an interview yet? Or did you just send your personal statement and did the task? What was your task if you don’t mind me asking?

Hi, I applied for engineering and architectural design so I didn’t get a Bartlett task! For pure architecture you get the task
Reply 32
Original post by Virona
Thank you! @MeliM please let me know :smile:

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I used 11 slides for my portfolio the first slide had no pieces on, only my name and my UCAS ID number. so I used 10 slides for my pieces. Are interviews are in person this year?
Reply 33
Original post by MeliM
Hi, sorry for the late reply, I used 11 slides for my portfolio the first slide had no pieces on, only my name and my UCAS ID number. so I used 10 slides for my pieces. Are interviews are in person this year?

Hi, thank you so much replying! I haven’t submitted my portfolio yet so I’m not sure.
Although could you tell me if the interview for engineering and architectural design is any different from the one for Bsc architecture? There isn’t really much information. And if you’re currently at UCL doing the eng+arch course, how’s it going?
Im sorry I’ve asked if I’ve asked too many questions 😅
Hi! I have also been asked to submit a portfolio by UCL for Architecture BSc however I haven't actually received any information on an admissions task and was wondering if this is also the same with everyone? Lowkey stressed but I have a friend who has also applied and has also not been given any info on an admissions task but has been asked to submit a portfolio. Please lmk high key stressing!!
Reply 35
Original post by Virona
Hi, thank you so much replying! I haven’t submitted my portfolio yet so I’m not sure.
Although could you tell me if the interview for engineering and architectural design is any different from the one for Bsc architecture? There isn’t really much information. And if you’re currently at UCL doing the eng+arch course, how’s it going?
Im sorry I’ve asked if I’ve asked too many questions 😅

No, don't apologise, that's fine, I got an interview for both the MSci and the Meng, and they were quite different, but not in the way that I expected them to be. For the MSci, they didn't ask me to explain my portfolio however they still asked me questions about it. Whereas for the MEng, they gave me 10 minutes to present myself and go through my portfolio, and the rest was spent just having a discussion with them regarding the course and answering questions about myself. Having two interviews, I really don't think there is a specific 100% way you can actually be prepared for the interview. but what I really recommend doing is knowing your portfolio extremely well, like why you chose to do the piece, why you chose that specific material to make the piece etc. And know yourself really well, I know it's a weird one, but if you really know yourself, it will be a lot easier to talk about why you want to do archi and why you think you are suitable for this course and your other interests. And if you get nervous and mess up on a question, it's fine, just ask them to repeat the question...I did this, and they just smiled and repeated it and gave me some time to answer the question. So I ended up receiving an offer for the MEng 6 days after my interview. I am currently in my gap year now (I applied with a deferred entry) however, I have my place confirmed at UCL for the MEng for next year, so I wish I could, but I cant really say how it's going just yet. Hope this helps!!! : )
Reply 36
Original post by stresssssedAF
Hi! I have also been asked to submit a portfolio by UCL for Architecture BSc however I haven't actually received any information on an admissions task and was wondering if this is also the same with everyone? Lowkey stressed but I have a friend who has also applied and has also not been given any info on an admissions task but has been asked to submit a portfolio. Please lmk high key stressing!!

If you're very confused, don't hesitate to email the admissions team and ask them they should get back to you.

I know people last year had that happen to them so I think it’s fine. When did you submit your personal statement?
Reply 38
Original post by MeliM
No, don't apologise, that's fine, I got an interview for both the MSci and the Meng, and they were quite different, but not in the way that I expected them to be. For the MSci, they didn't ask me to explain my portfolio however they still asked me questions about it. Whereas for the MEng, they gave me 10 minutes to present myself and go through my portfolio, and the rest was spent just having a discussion with them regarding the course and answering questions about myself. Having two interviews, I really don't think there is a specific 100% way you can actually be prepared for the interview. but what I really recommend doing is knowing your portfolio extremely well, like why you chose to do the piece, why you chose that specific material to make the piece etc. And know yourself really well, I know it's a weird one, but if you really know yourself, it will be a lot easier to talk about why you want to do archi and why you think you are suitable for this course and your other interests. And if you get nervous and mess up on a question, it's fine, just ask them to repeat the question...I did this, and they just smiled and repeated it and gave me some time to answer the question. So I ended up receiving an offer for the MEng 6 days after my interview. I am currently in my gap year now (I applied with a deferred entry) however, I have my place confirmed at UCL for the MEng for next year, so I wish I could, but I cant really say how it's going just yet. Hope this helps!!! : )

Yes it really does. Thank you so much!

Heyy :smile: I didn't get the task either! I think the process is slightly different this year. When are you going to submit your portfolio? They said two weeks I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending