The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
jcb914
You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you'll find some people would rather be in their own bed the night before their interview, rather than at a "cheap hotel", where it'd probably be even harder to get a good night's sleep before the big day. I stayed overnight because I didn't have a choice, but if my interview was in the afternoon I would have been happier staying overnight at home rather than worrying about what lies ahead in a random hotel room.

It's all subjective? If you don't like hotels, stay at home. If you need to be there early, take a hotel/ stay with people you know.
In any case, if you can bare (correct spelling?) it, it would be far easier IMHO.
Reply 21
commando
My school is telling us to go up the day before in the afternoon, take a room in a cheap hotel and relax. Seriously, go and stay there overnight, you'll find it much easier.

I disagree. If you can comfortably get there and back for the day, it's much better IMO. You'll be a lot less stressed if you don't have to pack an overnight bag etc., and don't treat it like a huge event.
Reply 22
commando
It's all subjective? If you don't like hotels, stay at home. If you need to be there early, take a hotel/ stay with people you know.
In any case, if you can bare (correct spelling?) it, it would be far easier IMHO.

Yes, it is subjective - hence why I felt the need to comment when you implied that people would find it easier staying overnight.

Scipio90
I disagree. If you can comfortably get there and back for the day, it's much better IMO. You'll be a lot less stressed if you don't have to pack an overnight bag etc., and don't treat it like a huge event.

Completely agree.
Reply 23
jcb914
Yes, it is subjective - hence why I felt the need to comment when you implied that people would find it easier staying overnight.

Hence I felt the need to avoid an argument by withdrawing my initial statement and replacing it with a more correct version.
Scipio90

I'm more of commando's line of thinking with this one :p: For me the biggest stress is always time, so I'd much rather have too much time on my hands than have to rush and stress if there are any delays or I get lost trying to find the college (happened with my first interview)

I don't really find packing at all unpleasant.
Reply 25
How many days are we allowed to ask for accommodation?

I'm international, so I need at least 2 days, but maybe three. Is that too much?
Reply 26
Downing agreed to offer me accommodation for two nights, so I think it wouldn't be a problem. But do indicate that in the form you have to return or contact them earlier.
Reply 27
you're so lucky your interview is so late
mine's at 9am and 11:30am, and Im travelling from Hong Kong...
most likely will hav to stay overnight at Cambridge or Tit Hall
Reply 28
Ok, sorry, but just to clarify matters.

Can someone just say the quickest/best way from Heathrow to Cambridge. I don't want to change at kings cross, but just go directly from heathrow.

Which is fasted to Cambridge? Coach or Train?
Is it better to book online (is that even possible for non-uk ppl?) or is it better to buy on the spot?
If you want to go direct from Heathrow you will have to get a coach. There is no direct train between Heathrow and Cambridge.
Reply 30
:ditto:

You can buy tickets online at www.nationalexpress.co.uk
Reply 31
rubii
you're so lucky your interview is so late
mine's at 9am and 11:30am, and Im travelling from Hong Kong...
most likely will hav to stay overnight at Cambridge or Tit Hall

You are the first person from hong kong i know who is planning to study history! You are so lucky, my parents won't even let me study it because they think i won't get a gd job! I thought most chinese parents think that......
Reply 32
Oh yea I wanted to ask if I wanted to stay in travel lodge the night before my interview but I am under 18 would that be ok?
Reply 33
Helenia
:ditto:

You can buy tickets online at www.nationalexpress.co.uk

hey for the national express coaches, do I buy a ticket going out of heathrow airport or do I pick the terminal i'm arriving in? I know they have a central bus station but on the website there is the option to pick terminals...do they pick up people at every terminal?
Hi. I've got my interview in a couple of weeks and by the looks of google maps the station and my college are at opposite ends of the city. Is there a bus that goes from the station to (or near) Churchill college, or would it be best just to print out a map and walk? (3 miles apparently. Manageable if I have enough time)

Thanks.
Reply 35
littlebee2
Oh yea I wanted to ask if I wanted to stay in travel lodge the night before my interview but I am under 18 would that be ok?

There isn't really a lower age limit for staying in a hotel. 17 is fine, so is 16 if you're very young.
commando
My school is telling us to go up the day before in the afternoon, take a room in a cheap hotel and relax. Seriously, go and stay there overnight, you'll find it much easier.

Depends if you can afford it :s-smilie:
Reply 37
littleshambles
Depends if you can afford it :s-smilie:

I was about to leave a not-so-nice comment, but I looked it up and its £70 at the Travelodge at Cam. Large amount that.
Reply 38
mleoni1
hey for the national express coaches, do I buy a ticket going out of heathrow airport or do I pick the terminal i'm arriving in? I know they have a central bus station but on the website there is the option to pick terminals...do they pick up people at every terminal?

I think it's Central Bus Station - it certainly serves Terminals 1, 2 and 3 (quite easily walkable provided you have a trolley for your luggage... :smile:). Not so sure about Terminals 4 and 5...

But you can easily wait until you get to Heathrow before you buy your tickets, I almost always only buy my tickets at Heathrow itself for the next bus out (as it's hard to be certain what time your flight will get in, as well as how long immigration and collecting your baggage will take...).
Reply 39
Pork and Beans
Hi. I've got my interview in a couple of weeks and by the looks of google maps the station and my college are at opposite ends of the city. Is there a bus that goes from the station to (or near) Churchill college, or would it be best just to print out a map and walk? (3 miles apparently. Manageable if I have enough time)

Thanks.

Erm I walked it, and still do most times. I don't think any of the buses go from station to Churchill, it might be worth just getting one into the city centre somewhere and then walking from there though.

Latest

Trending

Trending