The Student Room Group

Lack of confidence in Interviews

Hi I was wondering how can I build up more confidence in interviews especially in graduate roles now that I am applying for them and looking to get a job in my field of study what advice would you give to anticipate and nail the interview stage.
Original post by Mohammed_80
Hi I was wondering how can I build up more confidence in interviews especially in graduate roles now that I am applying for them and looking to get a job in my field of study what advice would you give to anticipate and nail the interview stage.

Reminding yourself that if you've been invited to interview, they like you already and they want you to do well. The panel aren't the opposition, they've already formed a positive opinion of you.

Nerves are OK, the right amount can enhance your performance, and you have to manage yourself to make sure they don't become a negative influence.

Practice makes perfect, the more interviews you do, the better you will get. You won't get every job you interview for.

After an interview, review the questions they asked and consider why they asked them. What were they trying to find out? There is a purpose behind every question asked. Not much point analysing your past answers, but think and practice how you can quickly appreciate why a question has been asked, and therefore give a more useful, tailored answer.
Original post by Mohammed_80

Hey there 😀

My best advice is to practice answering the most common interview questions. I know from experience that the more prepared I feel, the better and more confident I am.

There are also many sites that allow you to practice mock interviews. Some are so well-designed that they allow you to get into the spirit of a real interview and get well-prepared.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Good luck with your future interviews! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Reply 3
See if you can get a bit of interview coaching, through a recruiter or a careers service. It’s a bit painful but very worthwhile. Aim to take some learning from every interview. Positive energy at interview is an intangible but import attribute

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending