The Student Room Group

My parents won’t let me have a job even though I’m 17

I’m in year 12 and my dad won’t let me have a job because ‘it’s ruining’ my education, and that retail/working in restaurants are low skilled and bad jobs and that I should only get a job after I graduate, which is either being a pharmacist or a doctor. I remember a few months ago when I got a job interview my dad guilt tripped me into not going by crying and saying that Im a bad daughter and that i’m ignoring his advice, even though I literally need a job for work experience + for money because I want to buy my own things. Imo I think they’re not letting me get a job because they want to be in total control of me, but that’s another discussion for another day.
Anyways I have an interview on saturday but I haven’t told my parents yet. I really need this job but my parents might not even allow me to go. How do I make them let me get a job because I really need one
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in year 12 and my dad won’t let me have a job because ‘it’s ruining’ my education, and that retail/working in restaurants are low skilled and bad jobs and that I should only get a job after I graduate, which is either being a pharmacist or a doctor. I remember a few months ago when I got a job interview my dad guilt tripped me into not going by crying and saying that Im a bad daughter and that i’m ignoring his advice, even though I literally need a job for work experience + for money because I want to buy my own things. Imo I think they’re not letting me get a job because they want to be in total control of me, but that’s another discussion for another day.
Anyways I have an interview on saturday but I haven’t told my parents yet. I really need this job but my parents might not even allow me to go. How do I make them let me get a job because I really need one

tell him to pay u ur wage weekly then if he aint gnna let u work lol
tell him to pay u ur wage weekly then if he aint gnna let u work lol

LMAOO i think I’m actually gonna do that
I just had an argument with my mum about this and she said if I was gonna work I need a respectable job, as if working in retail/restaurants isn’t respectable

Icl that smells like some toxic bheaviour from ur father tell ur form teacher and get her to call ur dad and explain how u need a job cuz of work experience and so on cuz if it comes from a teacher there's no way he's gonna deny it. Icl tho I feel like he wants u to depend on him so hit him with the how am I gonna be able to save up for uni days cuz u need money to eat n stuff. Or this is a bit sneaky but we gotta do what we gotta do around controlling parents. Tell ur dad ur going tuition or afterschool workshops or something as an excuse when ur really going to work. Good luck for the interview on Saturday.

Ah my dear.

Seems he maybe terrified of loosing you,but you must now develop as a woman physically mentally and socially ,interacting with others even at this stage and level will bring your confidence up ,self esteem and put some cash into your pocket which does not come easy these days.Many top people have started off in the same vain
Parents must understand so although difficult to start with you must push on they he still love and support just over protective at this moment in time I believe
X
Original post by cbreezyy_17
Icl that smells like some toxic bheaviour from ur father tell ur form teacher and get her to call ur dad and explain how u need a job cuz of work experience and so on cuz if it comes from a teacher there's no way he's gonna deny it. Icl tho I feel like he wants u to depend on him so hit him with the how am I gonna be able to save up for uni days cuz u need money to eat n stuff. Or this is a bit sneaky but we gotta do what we gotta do around controlling parents. Tell ur dad ur going tuition or afterschool workshops or something as an excuse when ur really going to work. Good luck for the interview on Saturday.

Yes that’s what I’m thinking of doing but the thing is my college doesn’t really support part time jobs so I’m not sure how they’re gonna go about calling my parents and trying to convince them
Original post by Blueboy62
Ah my dear.

Seems he maybe terrified of loosing you,but you must now develop as a woman physically mentally and socially ,interacting with others even at this stage and level will bring your confidence up ,self esteem and put some cash into your pocket which does not come easy these days.Many top people have started off in the same vain
Parents must understand so although difficult to start with you must push on they he still love and support just over protective at this moment in time I believe
X

Yes I agree!
I also think my dad is scared about his reputation and appearing incompetent of financially supporting his kids
Yes I agree!
I also think my dad is scared about his reputation and appearing incompetent of financially supporting his kids

If need to chat further you may ring me take care

ngl but no HATE yh
but r u asian like muslim
cause yh then i know how u feel as everybody knows my fam iv got a big asian fam whos very sexist and think its not proper for girls to work in certain places however its ok to work in a hospital

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending