The Student Room Group

Assistant Psychologist Interview - Role Play

Good Evening all,

I am currently an Assistant Psychologist however my contract is coming to an end. I have an interview for a new Assistant Psychologist role. The details of the interview are as follows: In addition to a standard 30min interview I will be expected to take part in a 10 min role play and also to complete a 20 min written and data task. I have never been asked to do either before, I was wondering if anyone has and can explain what to expect? Or if anyone can offer some advice/ insight?
Thank you in advance
Yep. It will depend on the service, but role plays are often where you are asked to play out either a common situation within a service or a tricky situation. This is to check your engagement and rapport skills, as well as how you handle being under presssure and you are not going to be expected to deliver an entire intervention or anything. Also you shouldn't be put into a situation beyond your capabilities - they are not going to ask you roleplay the job of an 8b or anything.

Data tasks are just that and the tasks we use most often in recruitment. You may be given a set of raw data and be expected to work with it to produce routine stuff that would come under an audit. You may be required to categorise it, or just analyse it. Consider the basic audit questions that may be asked, such as pre and post intervention comparisons. In 20 mins you aren't going to be asked anything really taxing beyond what most psychology graduates will have covered in their research methods.
Reply 2
Original post by Lord Asriel
Yep. It will depend on the service, but role plays are often where you are asked to play out either a common situation within a service or a tricky situation. This is to check your engagement and rapport skills, as well as how you handle being under presssure and you are not going to be expected to deliver an entire intervention or anything. Also you shouldn't be put into a situation beyond your capabilities - they are not going to ask you roleplay the job of an 8b or anything.

Data tasks are just that and the tasks we use most often in recruitment. You may be given a set of raw data and be expected to work with it to produce routine stuff that would come under an audit. You may be required to categorise it, or just analyse it. Consider the basic audit questions that may be asked, such as pre and post intervention comparisons. In 20 mins you aren't going to be asked anything really taxing beyond what most psychology graduates will have covered in their research methods.

A huge thank you for this information! I will continue with prep - the service is psychosis by the way!
Reply 3
Original post by Dojay
Good Evening all,

I am currently an Assistant Psychologist however my contract is coming to an end. I have an interview for a new Assistant Psychologist role. The details of the interview are as follows: In addition to a standard 30min interview I will be expected to take part in a 10 min role play and also to complete a 20 min written and data task. I have never been asked to do either before, I was wondering if anyone has and can explain what to expect? Or if anyone can offer some advice/ insight?
Thank you in advance

I've not had to do a data task before (thank god, stats are not for me!), but I've done a few roleplays. They generally tend to look for your interpersonal skills, so how you show warmth and empathy, how you navigate unexpected things coming up with a client (e.g., change in life circumstances, increased risk etc.), and how you deliver information to clients/patients (using language they understand, be clear, check understanding etc.). In my experience, they've been fairly relaxed and nothing too difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest