The Student Room Group

Can I get a Cifas cat 7 marker removed?

Recently my main bank account at Barclays was closed down without warning. I contacted them and they wouldn't say anything. Nothing on my credit score either. After digging around a bit I found out about Cifas markers and made a subject access request. I received the response today and sure enough I've got a Cifas mark entered by an insurance group representing a tenancy reference agency. The reason for filing says altered documents and case type: false application. I'm assuming this is cat 7?

This reminded me last year when I had to find a new place to rent I failed one of my reference application (it was with homelet). They had contacted my employer and landlord and both of had confirmed they had, I also had to give them a lot of information (6 months banks statement and payslips) All of these were legitimate documents not altered in any way. They failed me and all the letting agency could say it was something about them not being able to confirm my address but I just had to suck it up and find another place (i did and passed as usual) while still losing half of my holding deposit.... marked it down as a bad experience and to just avoid them (also because they would flood me with calls selling their insurance).

Now I find almost a year later they have filed a Cifas marker against me and I've lost my main bank account because of this, and apparently this can lead me to lose my other bank account and prevent me from mortgage or future tenancy or a job in financial sector once I graduate, basically screwing me completely for 6 years....

Is this possible to challenge? I've read around here and most seem to be about cat 6 cifas markers and the consensus is no, is this case different? I just cannot imagine that something as arbitrary as someone not liking my tenancy reference application can screw me over this bad
Original post by Jamnez
Recently my main bank account at Barclays was closed down without warning. I contacted them and they wouldn't say anything. Nothing on my credit score either. After digging around a bit I found out about Cifas markers and made a subject access request. I received the response today and sure enough I've got a Cifas mark entered by an insurance group representing a tenancy reference agency. The reason for filing says altered documents and case type: false application. I'm assuming this is cat 7?

This reminded me last year when I had to find a new place to rent I failed one of my reference application (it was with homelet). They had contacted my employer and landlord and both of had confirmed they had, I also had to give them a lot of information (6 months banks statement and payslips) All of these were legitimate documents not altered in any way. They failed me and all the letting agency could say it was something about them not being able to confirm my address but I just had to suck it up and find another place (i did and passed as usual) while still losing half of my holding deposit.... marked it down as a bad experience and to just avoid them (also because they would flood me with calls selling their insurance).

Now I find almost a year later they have filed a Cifas marker against me and I've lost my main bank account because of this, and apparently this can lead me to lose my other bank account and prevent me from mortgage or future tenancy or a job in financial sector once I graduate, basically screwing me completely for 6 years....

Is this possible to challenge? I've read around here and most seem to be about cat 6 cifas markers and the consensus is no, is this case different? I just cannot imagine that something as arbitrary as someone not liking my tenancy reference application can screw me over this bad

Every indication is that a CIFAS marker is very hard to remove, but that seems to be because each person who wants it removed is guilty but wants it removed anyway. From what you've said, you're not at fault.

The process to attempt removal would normally be:

Step 1: Request a CIFAS letter

Make a Direct Subject Access Request (DSAR) to CIFAS, requesting a letter setting out the details of the marker(s) that they hold on their database.

You might be able to skip this step, given that you know why the marker was added, and who added it. However, it might be worth doing anyway, just in case it reveals any additional (and useful) information.

Step 2: Contact the institution that issued the marker and request removal

Once the CIFAS letter has been received, you can then contact the institution that issued your marker to request further information before asking for the marker to be removed.

You say the marker was "entered by an insurance group representing a tenancy reference agency", so you might find that when you contact the insurance group they just refer you to the tenancy reference agency.

Step 3: Request CIFAS review

If the institution turns down your request for the marker to be removed, you can then request a review directly with the CIFAS, provided that a final response letter has been issued by the institution.

CIFAS are required to adjudicate on the matter within 14 days.

Step 4: Complain to the relevant ombudsman or complaint service

If CIFAS uphold the institution’s decision and refuse to remove the marker, it’s possible to raise a complaint with the relevant ombudsman for the institution that put the marker in place.

For the insurance company, that would be the Financial Ombudsman.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Every indication is that a CIFAS marker is very hard to remove, but that seems to be because each person who wants it removed is guilty but wants it removed anyway. From what you've said, you're not at fault.

The process to attempt removal would normally be:

Step 1: Request a CIFAS letter

Make a Direct Subject Access Request (DSAR) to CIFAS, requesting a letter setting out the details of the marker(s) that they hold on their database.

You might be able to skip this step, given that you know why the marker was added, and who added it. However, it might be worth doing anyway, just in case it reveals any additional (and useful) information.

Step 2: Contact the institution that issued the marker and request removal

Once the CIFAS letter has been received, you can then contact the institution that issued your marker to request further information before asking for the marker to be removed.

You say the marker was "entered by an insurance group representing a tenancy reference agency", so you might find that when you contact the insurance group they just refer you to the tenancy reference agency.

Step 3: Request CIFAS review

If the institution turns down your request for the marker to be removed, you can then request a review directly with the CIFAS, provided that a final response letter has been issued by the institution.

CIFAS are required to adjudicate on the matter within 14 days.

Step 4: Complain to the relevant ombudsman or complaint service

If CIFAS uphold the institution’s decision and refuse to remove the marker, it’s possible to raise a complaint with the relevant ombudsman for the institution that put the marker in place.

For the insurance company, that would be the Financial Ombudsman.

Good luck!

Thank you for this! It really helps and this no longer sounds like a helpless situation.
In the subject access request that I received from Cifa it included scans of the documents that the insurance group claims is fraudulent which is a scan of my bank statement and wage payslip.
Do I just directly challenge this in an email to the institution that issued the marker and say that no this is not fraudulent and you made a mistake? I could ask my employer to call or leave a reference and testify or whatever but with the bank it's the same Barclays that has closed down my account because of this Cifa marker, how would I even state my case in that regard?
I'm also wondering now, is this is even a legitimate case of them using a Cifa mark against me as I never applied for any credit or financial facility in the first place, this was just a tenancy reference application?

Sorry so many questions but I want to make sure I get this right before somehow digging myself into a bigger hole
Reply 3
Just as an update, I received a reply from the insurance group stating they will not be removing the Cifas marker. I'm now going to take it to Cifas as the next step and will update once I've heard from them.
Any help in the meantime is appreciated.
Original post by Jamnez
Just as an update, I received a reply from the insurance group stating they will not be removing the Cifas marker. I'm now going to take it to Cifas as the next step and will update once I've heard from them.
Any help in the meantime is appreciated.

Understood. Thanks for the update.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
Understood. Thanks for the update.

Just as an aside from your experience is it possible to avoid these agencies when renting in the UK? I'm willing to pay the entire rental agreement year upfront because even if this is a rare case the entire ordeal is far too hard hitting... it feels way more intrusive than when I was dealing with Home Office, and that's to do with immigration not if I can rent a studio or not....
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending