The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Uni of Sheffield accommodation 2023

Hi,

Considering accom applications will open soon for 2023 applicants, i wanted to get an idea of what would work best for me as i enjoy going out maybe once/twice a week but also getting stuff done and getting good sleep. I'm 65:35 split on endcliffe and ranmoor respectively because while i prefer the endcliffe scene, i wonder if it'll be too loud, esp at night when sleeping but then i heard there are quieter blocks in endcliffe that provide a balance like yarncliffe?? Idk. For ranmoor, yes, there's the quieter environment but it feels too zoned off or disconnected, but just like the endcliffe situation, a livelier block in ranmoor would suffice because there's that balance ( heard about windgather possibly).

Other factors that turn me towards endcliffe: social life, proximity to uni buildings (negligible), green spaces, the village shop even 😹

Other factors that turn me towards ranmoor: the gym

Any advice would be much appreciated (no seriously help me lol)

P.S I'm going for an En-suite room with a 5-6 person flat

Scroll to see replies

I would probably say Endcliffe? Since you can always mingle with those from Ranmoor since both places are pretty close to each other to begin with so either way you wouldn't be missing out. There's not that much difference since both places give you the option of an en-suite and you'll be sharing with 5 to 6 people anyway
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Anonymous
I would probably say Endcliffe? Since you can always mingle with those from Ranmoor since both places are pretty close to each other to begin with so either way you wouldn't be missing out. There's not that much difference since both places give you the option of an en-suite and you'll be sharing with 5 to 6 people anyway

Ahh right, thanks!
When does the accomodation applications open?
Original post by EternalDuck
When does the accomodation applications open?

they've already opened for unconditional firm and conditional firm applicants
Reply 5
I’ve just booked windgather at ranmoor! seemed like there was barely any at endcliffe but happy with where i booked tbf i think im second floor
Reply 6
Original post by catbeau
I’ve just booked windgather at ranmoor! seemed like there was barely any at endcliffe but happy with where i booked tbf i think im second floor

yeah i've just booked mine as well, in wimberry 3rd floor - theres so few in endcliffe when i was looking.
Im a first year student at Sheffield. 100% Endcliffe, more students, more to do, more fun, closer to uni than Ranmoor. Im in Yarncliffe, its not even that loud, Fri/Sat,the edge which is like the communal space for students which has the bar at the top, that occasionally play loud music, but what students are in on a fri/sat to listen to it lol? not even loud at all if you do stay in. ive had a great time at endcliffe, reccomend. youll have a good social life no matter if youre in ranmoor or endcliffe, all depends on your flat. PICK GOOD FLATMATES

Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Considering accom applications will open soon for 2023 applicants, i wanted to get an idea of what would work best for me as i enjoy going out maybe once/twice a week but also getting stuff done and getting good sleep. I'm 65:35 split on endcliffe and ranmoor respectively because while i prefer the endcliffe scene, i wonder if it'll be too loud, esp at night when sleeping but then i heard there are quieter blocks in endcliffe that provide a balance like yarncliffe?? Idk. For ranmoor, yes, there's the quieter environment but it feels too zoned off or disconnected, but just like the endcliffe situation, a livelier block in ranmoor would suffice because there's that balance ( heard about windgather possibly).

Other factors that turn me towards endcliffe: social life, proximity to uni buildings (negligible), green spaces, the village shop even 😹

Other factors that turn me towards ranmoor: the gym

Any advice would be much appreciated (no seriously help me lol)

P.S I'm going for an En-suite room with a 5-6 person flat
I lived in Endcliffe for my first year a few years ago and defo recommend. Only thing to consider, the hill can be a pain lol
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
I have also booked Wimberry but 1st floor!
Reply 10
Original post by kimw0001
Im a first year student at Sheffield. 100% Endcliffe, more students, more to do, more fun, closer to uni than Ranmoor. Im in Yarncliffe, its not even that loud, Fri/Sat,the edge which is like the communal space for students which has the bar at the top, that occasionally play loud music, but what students are in on a fri/sat to listen to it lol? not even loud at all if you do stay in. ive had a great time at endcliffe, reccomend. youll have a good social life no matter if youre in ranmoor or endcliffe, all depends on your flat. PICK GOOD FLATMATES

Is there somewhere in Endcliffe that's a compromise of quiet and fun? I've done some research and I'm thinking of Froggatt and Yarncliffe but just bothered that they will be too loud of a night time. I know you've said it's not too loud and like you say what students are in on the weekends but I've seen so many mixed opinions and not really sure what to think. I have thought about Ranmoor but by the sounds of it Endcliffe seems to be the place to be.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by kludia
I have also booked Wimberry but 1st floor!

Hi. Do you happen to know how the floor numbering system works for wimberry? Getting confused with it. Specifically what floor/level F3 is on??
Original post by JH4
Is there somewhere in Endcliffe that's a compromise of quiet and fun? I've done some research and I'm thinking of Froggatt and Yarncliffe but just bothered that they will be too loud of a night time. I know you've said it's not too loud and like you say what students are in on the weekends but I've seen so many mixed opinions and not really sure what to think. I have thought about Ranmoor but by the sounds of it Endcliffe seems to be the place to be.

Dont deep it. It literally depends who's in your flat that makes it fun. Could be a good location but sharing with people that arent up your street.
Original post by catbeau

I've just booked windgather at ranmoor too! We should start a group chat or smth to get to know eachother
Original post by laennne
I've just booked windgather at ranmoor too! We should start a group chat or smth to get to know eachother

I’m going to firm Sheffield tomorrow, are there any decent accom options left??
Original post by floppyfish
I’m going to firm Sheffield tomorrow, are there any decent accom options left??

currently there's crescent, curbar 21+, vale, ramshaw, ravenstones, rivelin, stanage, wimberry and windgather available on mine, but your accommodation account takes a few days to activate after you firm so they may have changed by then
I literally just firmed Sheffield!! will be applying for accommodation asap, anyone here going for social sciences/will be on the endcliffe side of campus? :smile:
oh also if you have applied for accommodation could you tell me what the process is like? because like you book specific rooms and you get to say your characteristics or something?
Original post by izzy4509x
oh also if you have applied for accommodation could you tell me what the process is like? because like you book specific rooms and you get to say your characteristics or something?

you write a little profile (which you don't have to do, you can just write nothing) where people tend to put their subject and things like how often they want to go out. Some people put contact details like insta usernames as well.
you do get to choose your rooms however there are only a few available at a time since the team release them slowly, but yeah you can choose like which block and floor you want and see what your potential roommates are like!
Original post by anonymous6008
you write a little profile (which you don't have to do, you can just write nothing) where people tend to put their subject and things like how often they want to go out. Some people put contact details like insta usernames as well.
you do get to choose your rooms however there are only a few available at a time since the team release them slowly, but yeah you can choose like which block and floor you want and see what your potential roommates are like!

brilliant tysm for the help!! since I firmed early ish yesterday I reckon ill be able to apply tomorrow fingers crossed!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending