The Student Room Group

Do you need an iPad for Pharmacy at university

Hi, so i'm going to be starting pharmacy at uni this year hopefully and i was just wondering if people recommend buying an iPad for note taking for the course or not. I have a few friends that are studying medicine at the moment and they swear by their iPad being the best thing for taking notes but i was wondering if any current pharmacy students could give me their opinion on wether its useful/ needed for the course. thank you x
Original post by sksksksksks2
Hi, so i'm going to be starting pharmacy at uni this year hopefully and i was just wondering if people recommend buying an iPad for note taking for the course or not. I have a few friends that are studying medicine at the moment and they swear by their iPad being the best thing for taking notes but i was wondering if any current pharmacy students could give me their opinion on wether its useful/ needed for the course. thank you x

A cheap laptop is just as good for university as that what I am currently doing for nursing and I did it as well for my other degree.

Sometimes you are quicker writing things down on a notebook as you will never keep up with what the lecturer's are saying about things.

Everyone has there own opinion on whether or not you should use a laptop or IPad etc for universal coursework writing while in lectures.
Original post by sksksksksks2

Hi @sksksksksks2

That's great to hear you're going to be studying pharmacy!

As a fourth year pharmacy student I may be able to give you some insight into what myself and others on my course use.

I understand why medical students find that using an iPad is easier for them, they probably use it to annotate diagrams.
In pharmacy depending on how your university has structured the course you may find you have to write a lot of essays and assignments, therefore, its important to take this into consideration when choosing a device to make notes with.
An iPad may be a suitable option for you if enjoy annotating and writing your notes out, rather than having typed notes. Also, with an iPad you can buy a keyboard so it would be suitable if you ever needed to write an essay out.
There is also the windows surface which is very similar in that you can use it as a tablet and annotate using a stylus and also use a keyboard

You could also use a normal laptop however, you wouldn't be able to make handwritten notes with it.

When choosing a device try and think about how much storage you need (with a degree like pharmacy you will probably need a device that holds a lot of storage) and also think about battery life. You don't want to end up buying something that needs charging a lot and doesn't stay charged for long.

I use the surface because its light and easy to carry around during the day; it can be used as a tablet and also as a normal laptop. There is quite a wide range of devices that other students on my course use. At the end of the day it is down to personal preference.

I hope this has been helpful!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending