The Student Room Group

What should I be doing over GCSE summer ?

Hi! I am currently only in Year11 (very close to sitting my GCSE’s) but I am already very interested in finding out the best extra/super circular to put on my application for university to study. I particularly have my sights set on Oxbridge. I plan to study A-Level Law, English Lit and History; at GCSE I think I will achieve Grade 9 in English Lit, English Lang, History, Biology, Drama, Grade 8 in physics and chemistry and Grade 7 in maths. (not sure if my probable 7 in maths will at all affect my uni application). Anyway, my question is what else would set me apart from the crowd on my uni application. The reason I am asking now is I would like to amount some things I can put over the summer since I have an extended summer.

I am thinking of getting some law work experience over the summer if possible, and maybe some sort of volunteer work somehow relating to the law profession (not sure what though haha). Also, is DofE or NCS worth doing? At my college I plan to join the debate team which I think will be beneficial, and even thinking about starting a school paper there (in the second year probably when i have a little bit more experience) which I think is achievable as my cousin actually is involved with the setting up of clubs.

Any advice at all is very well welcomed. Thank you :smile:
I think you run the risk of burning out if you cram a million and one things into your summer holiday.

Sure, do a few activities during summer if you like, but also take a break! You'll have just gone through GCSEs, and then in September you'll be starting A-Levels which is intensive. You're okay to actually enjoy a break, honestly!
dont do stuff cause it will make your application better, do stuff cause you enjoy it and it lies with your interest which you can conveniently talk about in your personal statement, all this stuff your doing will be talked about in a 4000 CHARACTER statement so you dont have alot of room to talk about everything. i did alot and didnt get to talk about all of, chose 1 or 2 big projects like volunteer work or the paper and debate thing sounds fine (but not at the same time cause doing so much at alevel might burn you out) but remember its not about what you do its about what your learnt, how did it develop characteristics, how will it help you with your course or aspiring career. dont overdo it you maybe eager now but alevels take up alot of your time so just try one thing at a time dont over work yourself, burn out can be a big problem at sixth form if you dont manage your time appropriately

from personal experience
NCS: yes, i enjoyed it, i went with 3 friends and made 3 more, the activities were fun and i talked about it in my personal statement
DofE: i havent done the expedition yet but if you plan to do volunteer work do it while ur doing DofE cause you can use it as volunteering is one of the components to completing it

and a recommendation, an EPQ isnt really required by Oxbridge from what i understand but since you seem quite driven an EPQ would be a nice project to have and eventhough it wont lower the entry grade its a nice thing to write about, and might lower the endtry grade to your other 4 choices
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by evajess13
Hi! I am currently only in Year11 (very close to sitting my GCSE’s) but I am already very interested in finding out the best extra/super circular to put on my application for university to study. I particularly have my sights set on Oxbridge. I plan to study A-Level Law, English Lit and History; at GCSE I think I will achieve Grade 9 in English Lit, English Lang, History, Biology, Drama, Grade 8 in physics and chemistry and Grade 7 in maths. (not sure if my probable 7 in maths will at all affect my uni application). Anyway, my question is what else would set me apart from the crowd on my uni application. The reason I am asking now is I would like to amount some things I can put over the summer since I have an extended summer.

I am thinking of getting some law work experience over the summer if possible, and maybe some sort of volunteer work somehow relating to the law profession (not sure what though haha). Also, is DofE or NCS worth doing? At my college I plan to join the debate team which I think will be beneficial, and even thinking about starting a school paper there (in the second year probably when i have a little bit more experience) which I think is achievable as my cousin actually is involved with the setting up of clubs.

You could do a bit of reading into the subjects you will be taking at a-level. To give you a bit of a headstart and all that.
Reply 4
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I think you run the risk of burning out if you cram a million and one things into your summer holiday.

Sure, do a few activities during summer if you like, but also take a break! You'll have just gone through GCSEs, and then in September you'll be starting A-Levels which is intensive. You're okay to actually enjoy a break, honestly!

Thank you so much for the advice!! Aha yeah I think I’m definitely a workaholic a bit and am super scared to burn myself out so I will definitely tryyyy to relax :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by bigplongus
dont do stuff cause it will make your application better, do stuff cause you enjoy it and it lies with your interest which you can conveniently talk about in your personal statement, all this stuff your doing will be talked about in a 4000 CHARACTER statement so you dont have alot of room to talk about everything. i did alot and didnt get to talk about all of, chose 1 or 2 big projects like volunteer work or the paper and debate thing sounds fine (but not at the same time cause doing so much at alevel might burn you out) but remember its not about what you do its about what your learnt, how did it develop characteristics, how will it help you with your course or aspiring career. dont overdo it you maybe eager now but alevels take up alot of your time so just try one thing at a time dont over work yourself, burn out can be a big problem at sixth form if you dont manage your time appropriately

from personal experience
NCS: yes, i enjoyed it, i went with 3 friends and made 3 more, the activities were fun and i talked about it in my personal statement
DofE: i havent done the expedition yet but if you plan to do volunteer work do it while ur doing DofE cause you can use it as volunteering is one of the components to completing it

and a recommendation, an EPQ isnt really required by Oxbridge from what i understand but since you seem quite driven an EPQ would be a nice project to have and eventhough it wont lower the entry grade its a nice thing to write about, and might lower the endtry grade to your other 4 choices

thanks, this is really good advice! yeah i think i am worried about managing a-levels with extra things, that’s why i am quite interested in having a productive summer !
thanks, this is really good advice! yeah i think i am worried about managing a-levels with extra things, that’s why i am quite interested in having a productive summer !

well read up on your subjects, organise a few things, you can definitely do volunteering and your alevels together but make sure its enjoyable and you manage your time right

maybe try and find a topic you want to write about for an epq if youre seriously considering it or if u wanna see if youll enjoy it that would be a good head start too

Heya!
Those sound good! If it helps, check out this free course on applying to law at top unis (linked) :h: It goes over the whole application process including many great tips!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 8
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
Those sound good! If it helps, check out this free course on applying to law at top unis (linked) :h: It goes over the whole application process including many great tips!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

This is so great!! Thank you !!

Quick Reply

Latest