The Student Room Group

Applying with old A levels and grades

Sorry if this is the wrong forum I just created an account but I really need some advice.

Basically to cut a long story short when I originally did my alevels I took biology which I hated and never wanted to take in the first place but my mum told me I had to and by the time i wanted to switch they told me it was too late.

As a result I never attended my biology lessons or revised for it and ended up getting a U grade. I left school with an A* in economics a C in geography and a U biology as I previously stated.

In September I decided to go back to school and am predicted an A* in maths and an A in both computer science and further maths.

Im looking to go to uni for computer science or cyber security and am wondering if the U in biology will make me look like a bad applicant to Russle group unis and if so is there anything I can do to make me look like a better applicant?
From what I understand you dont have to declare previous A level grades on your application so they wouldnt even know about the U
Original post by Nkrumah09
Sorry if this is the wrong forum I just created an account but I really need some advice.

Basically to cut a long story short when I originally did my alevels I took biology which I hated and never wanted to take in the first place but my mum told me I had to and by the time i wanted to switch they told me it was too late.

As a result I never attended my biology lessons or revised for it and ended up getting a U grade. I left school with an A* in economics a C in geography and a U biology as I previously stated.

In September I decided to go back to school and am predicted an A* in maths and an A in both computer science and further maths.

Im looking to go to uni for computer science or cyber security and am wondering if the U in biology will make me look like a bad applicant to Russle group unis and if so is there anything I can do to make me look like a better applicant?
Original post by user123456324
From what I understand you dont have to declare previous A level grades on your application so they wouldnt even know about the U

This is incorrect, you have to declare all previous results (including Unclassified results) otherwise your application will be void.
Reply 3
Do you think they’ll care about the U in biology from 2022 if im applying for 2025 with 4 A-level grades that are between A*- A (if I meet my predicted grades of course). Some people have told me since biology has nothing to do with computer science/cyber security they won’t take it into account, but I’ve also been told they will as well so I don’t know
Don't worry - if you now meet the entry requirements that is all they will look at.
Yes, you must declare a U grade but it wont matter.

Ask your UCAS referee to mention in their reference exactly what you have stated here - you lacked motivation and messed up, but you are now determined to succeed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending