The Student Room Group

How to stop caring what your colleagues think?

I really get the impression my colleagues don’t like me. I don’t know why I’m always friendly, I do my job correctly.

The only thing is because I commute into London and have the worst train company ever I’m always messaging on the group chat that I’ll be late or WFH. It’s so embarsssinf and I’m worried they don’t like me because of it!
It's a good thing to care what your colleagues think of you.

Leave for work earlier if you're frequently late. I also commute and aim to arrive early for this reason, so even if there are train delays I still get there on time.
Reply 2
Do you have any evidence to suggest they don't like you? What evidence exists that maybe they actually like you? Consider the balanced argument across both sides. It's natural to have a negative bias and fear the worst, but often are fears are not always grounded in reality...
Original post by 1582
It's a good thing to care what your colleagues think of you.

Leave for work earlier if you're frequently late. I also commute and aim to arrive early for this reason, so even if there are train delays I still get there on time.

No it’s not about lateness it’s about the trains actually not running for like 2 hours due to a points failure, signalling issues etc. It just doesn’t seem to happen as much with their train companies. It happens on mg way home too
Original post by Anonymous
No it’s not about lateness it’s about the trains actually not running for like 2 hours due to a points failure, signalling issues etc. It just doesn’t seem to happen as much with their train companies. It happens on mg way home too

Well probably not good enough evidence to a not-so-anxious person but it’s a gut feeling. On the work group chat they always seem blunter to me than they are with other colleagues.

Like with other colleagues they use shortened abbreviations of their names like Kels’ or Loz’. It seems like a reach but I do overthink this stuff!

Also they don’t invite me to lunch or to grab a coffee from downstairs. They’ve done this about 4 times and my boyfriend says maybe they don’t think I want to go if I look busy but one time I politely asked if they minded I joined and they said the desk needed coverage…. bearing mind half the office was on annual leave so I’m unsure about that excuse.

Idk it’s just a gut feeling but I guess I have to remember they’re just colleagues and not family. But it would make my life easier if they liked me
You could be being paranoid because of the fact that you're frequently late.
Do you have team meetings? Perhaps, you could ask the team what they think you could do better?
Well probably not good enough evidence to a not-so-anxious person but it’s a gut feeling. On the work group chat they always seem blunter to me than they are with other colleagues.

Like with other colleagues they use shortened abbreviations of their names like Kels’ or Loz’. It seems like a reach but I do overthink this stuff!

Also they don’t invite me to lunch or to grab a coffee from downstairs. They’ve done this about 4 times and my boyfriend says maybe they don’t think I want to go if I look busy but one time I politely asked if they minded I joined and they said the desk needed coverage…. bearing mind half the office was on annual leave so I’m unsure about that excuse.

Idk it’s just a gut feeling but I guess I have to remember they’re just colleagues and not family. But it would make my life easier if they liked me

They don't like you in my opinion. Either suck it up or find a new job / role.

f*ck 'em

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending