The Student Room Group

Advise for friend

I have a best friend who used to be super religious and ever since she met this guy whose now her boyfriend, who isn't even in the same religion (basically they have no future in marriage) he's a bad influence on her and making her go against her religion just so that they can make out and stuff and he's slowly turning her against me. How do i help her realize her not good for her and to go back to how she used to be?
Original post by Ru_ox
I have a best friend who used to be super religious and ever since she met this guy whose now her boyfriend, who isn't even in the same religion (basically they have no future in marriage) he's a bad influence on her and making her go against her religion just so that they can make out and stuff and he's slowly turning her against me. How do i help her realize her not good for her and to go back to how she used to be?

Hi! I might not be that helpful on this, as I'm an atheist, so please say if my opinion is unwelcome.

Anyway, have you considered that your friend might not be being forced into this and she actually is just not that interested in being super religious anymore? It's a natural thing for teenagers and young adults to question their faith and some never look back. That might be upsetting for you and her family, but it happens. Is she still going to worship (church, mosque etc) and talking about God? If not it's pretty likely she's just not as invested any more.

If you actually think she is being forced to go against her religion, and she doesn't want to be in a relationship with this guy, talk to her, again gently as if you're too aggressive she might shut you out. But if anyone is being forced into a relationship that's pretty serious so you should intervene if that's the case.

Otherwise it seems that she just isn't interested in the strict rules of religion and wants to date people (not a crime!!). She might still be religious, but just not follow some of the rules. I don't think you should try to change her mind about that, because it's her personal beliefs, not yours.

Hope this is useful!
Original post by Charlotte__B
Hi! I might not be that helpful on this, as I'm an atheist, so please say if my opinion is unwelcome.

Anyway, have you considered that your friend might not be being forced into this and she actually is just not that interested in being super religious anymore? It's a natural thing for teenagers and young adults to question their faith and some never look back. That might be upsetting for you and her family, but it happens. Is she still going to worship (church, mosque etc) and talking about God? If not it's pretty likely she's just not as invested any more.

If you actually think she is being forced to go against her religion, and she doesn't want to be in a relationship with this guy, talk to her, again gently as if you're too aggressive she might shut you out. But if anyone is being forced into a relationship that's pretty serious so you should intervene if that's the case.

Otherwise it seems that she just isn't interested in the strict rules of religion and wants to date people (not a crime!!). She might still be religious, but just not follow some of the rules. I don't think you should try to change her mind about that, because it's her personal beliefs, not yours.

Hope this is useful!

completely agree here! ^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending