The Student Room Group

When someone says I am the first person in my family to get a degree?

Does that include your cousins? I have always wondered.

I meet my professional mentor and he said this and I replied that I am the same, but I have to wonder for a while if I should include my cousins in this, I currently only take into account my family and the generation above me in my extended family.
(edited 1 year ago)
I think they mean immediate family (so parents + siblings)
I don't think this is the kind of thing that has hard and fast standards. It's not like colour coding wiring inside airplanes or anything
It only means parents. Not siblings, nor any extended family.

Parents you are estranged from also don't count.
Reply 4
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
It only means parents. Not siblings, nor any extended family.

Parents you are estranged from also don't count.

Excludes siblings? I'm not sure that makes any sense. If your brother has a degree then you can't be the first person in the 'family' to get one..?
Yeah it means immediate family, not that it necessarily matters.

I've always wondered if you grandparents get a degree, and your parents don't get one then are you still the first in your family to go to university? :confused:
Original post by gjd800
Excludes siblings? I'm not sure that makes any sense. If your brother has a degree then you can't be the first person in the 'family' to get one..?

For the University of Leeds at least... :dontknow:
I have to assume it's similar at other unis

1.JPG
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
For the University of Leeds at least... :dontknow:
I have to assume it's similar at other unis

1.JPG

Wow! I can understand it for a funding point of view, I suppose, but as a working definition that is absolutely bonkers.
Original post by gjd800
Wow! I can understand it for a funding point of view, I suppose, but as a working definition that is absolutely bonkers.

It does seem as though it should be re-labelled really, yeah

Quick Reply

Latest