The Student Room Group

Sitting A Levels for the first time in October

I want to withdraw my a level entries for this summer and sit them in October or study another year and sit them in May/ June. Is this possible?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RaviBoy
I want to withdraw my a level entries for this summer and sit them in October or study another year and sit them in May/ June. Is this possible?

In the UK I think your only option is to sit A levels in May/June.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
In the UK I think your only option is to sit A levels in May/June.

I am willing to spend an extra year doing A Levels but how do I go about telling teachers/ doing this?
Original post by RaviBoy
I am willing to spend an extra year doing A Levels but how do I go about telling teachers/ doing this?

Go and speak to your head of year as soon as possible.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw

I just sent an email to my form tutor. I'm praying to God
Reply 5
Original post by normaw

I am so scared. I feel stuck
Original post by RaviBoy
I am so scared. I feel stuck

Are there particular reasons you want to do them later? Have you mentioned them in your email? Also, have you thought about that you'd do of you did them a year later, like would you retake year 13 or just do work at home?
I'd imagine your 6th form would let you, if you had a good reason.
Reply 7
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Are there particular reasons you want to do them later? Have you mentioned them in your email? Also, have you thought about that you'd do of you did them a year later, like would you retake year 13 or just do work at home?
I'd imagine your 6th form would let you, if you had a good reason.

The teachers know how worried and anxious I get. I cried infront of 2 teachers yesterday and I'm so embarrassed. My form tutor replied and said he will ask after the holidays and he told me not to worry. There are still 2 days until the holidays and I don't want the date to withdraw to have ended. I said I am willing to study at home or either do year 2 again and then take them next May/ June. Should I ask another teacher tomorrow?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by RaviBoy
The teachers know how worried and anxious I get. I cried infront of 2 teachers yesterday and I'm so embarrassed. My form tutor replied and said he will ask after the holidays. There are still 2 days until the holidays and I don't want the date to withdraw to have ended. I said I am willing to study at home or either do year 2 again and then take them next May/ June. Should I ask another teacher tomorrow?

Yeah I think so, if it were me I wouldn't want to wait till after the holidays. Do you have a head of year or someone that is higher up than the form tutor that you could ask?
Original post by RaviBoy
The teachers know how worried and anxious I get. I cried infront of 2 teachers yesterday and I'm so embarrassed. My form tutor replied and said he will ask after the holidays and he told me not to worry. There are still 2 days until the holidays and I don't want the date to withdraw to have ended. I said I am willing to study at home or either do year 2 again and then take them next May/ June. Should I ask another teacher tomorrow?

Yes, send another email to your head of year. You need peace of mind over the holidays.
Reply 10
Yeah I think so, if it were me I wouldn't want to wait till after the holidays. Do you have a head of year or someone that is higher up than the form tutor that you could ask?

Nobody higher up knows me or my situation. I'm so nervous even thinking about talking to someone in person about this. I can only think of talking to one of my subject teachers who knows about my situation but I'm not sure who else to turn to. Form tutors are meant to help with these types of things. Is there anyone else I could ask? Please help.
Reply 11
Original post by normaw
Yes, send another email to your head of year. You need peace of mind over the holidays.

We don't have a head of year, it's only got form tutors and then slt I think. I don't know what to do now
Original post by RaviBoy
Nobody higher up knows me or my situation. I'm so nervous even thinking about talking to someone in person about this. I can only think of talking to one of my subject teachers who knows about my situation but I'm not sure who else to turn to. Form tutors are meant to help with these types of things. Is there anyone else I could ask? Please help.

I'd at least try someone higher up - even if they don't know you, if you explain the situation as best as possible, they can have a chat with one of the teachers who knows you better about this yo gain a better understanding of the situation? Maybe email them if you don't want to talk in person? I find it much harder to talk in person and be coherent, and find it better to explain stuff via email so I make sure I tell them eveything, especially if its something that'd upsetting me.
Have you had a chat with a parent about this?
But definitely email someone tonight/talk to someone tomorrow
Original post by RaviBoy
We don't have a head of year, it's only got form tutors and then slt I think. I don't know what to do now

Okay tough one, maybe email the form tutor back or have a chat with them tomorrow?
Reply 14
Okay tough one, maybe email the form tutor back or have a chat with them tomorrow?

He doesn't work tomorrow. Should I go to the UCAS teacher? He's also my maths teacher so I won't get as nervous talking to him
(edited 1 year ago)
Good idea
Original post by RaviBoy
He doesn't work tomorrow. Should I go to the UCAS teacher? He's also my maths teacher so I won't get as nervous talking to him

If not head of year, then you should have a Head of Sixth Form/School.
Original post by RaviBoy

yes! talk to your college or sixth form and tell them you would like to study another year, it was common in my sixth form that people stayed for 3 years rather than 2.
Reply 18
I'd at least try someone higher up - even if they don't know you, if you explain the situation as best as possible, they can have a chat with one of the teachers who knows you better about this yo gain a better understanding of the situation? Maybe email them if you don't want to talk in person? I find it much harder to talk in person and be coherent, and find it better to explain stuff via email so I make sure I tell them eveything, especially if its something that'd upsetting me.
Have you had a chat with a parent about this?
But definitely email someone tonight/talk to someone tomorrow

I haven't talked to my parents about this. Should I email the UCAS teacher/ my maths teacher? I don't want to make my tutor angry with me for speaking to another teacher about this if he told me to wait until after the holidays.
Original post by RaviBoy
I haven't talked to my parents about this. Should I email the UCAS teacher/ my maths teacher? I don't want to make my tutor angry with me for speaking to another teacher about this if he told me to wait until after the holidays.

I would email today or speak to someone tomorrow. Then you can talk to your parents over the holidays armed with all your options. Explain to your tutor that you couldn't wait two weeks as it was causing you too much anxiety.

Quick Reply

Latest