The Student Room Group

Do universities give equal opportunity to people with BTECS?

I'm doigng a btec in IT. because of some cercumstances with covid i wasnt able to do my gcses so i had to opt in for btec instead of a levels and resit my gcses. And im working my ass off going for a D*D*D* while also doing A level maths at home so i can get into a top university for computer science.
But i want to know, do i even have a chance? i know universities like warwick, bristol etc say that they accept BTECS, but how many people actually get in with them (especially in a course as com petative as comp sci) . Do universities overlook people because they have btecs instead of a level?
Original post by revo349
I'm doigng a btec in IT. because of some cercumstances with covid i wasnt able to do my gcses so i had to opt in for btec instead of a levels and resit my gcses. And im working my ass off going for a D*D*D* while also doing A level maths at home so i can get into a top university for computer science.
But i want to know, do i even have a chance? i know universities like warwick, bristol etc say that they accept BTECS, but how many people actually get in with them (especially in a course as com petative as comp sci) . Do universities overlook people because they have btecs instead of a level?

There's no point in them lying to applicants.
Hiya! Yes, as long as their website or course flyer says they accept BTECs and you pass their grade requirements, I don't see why they wouldn't give BTEC students equal opportunity.

- Sophia (Computer Science Student Ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hiya! Yes, as long as their website or course flyer says they accept BTECs and you pass their grade requirements, I don't see why they wouldn't give BTEC students equal opportunity.

- Sophia (Computer Science Student Ambassador)

Hi, thanks for the reply :smile:.

I actually wanted to ask, does undergraduate computer science in lancaster university require A level maths? And if it does is there any opportunities for foundation years? Thanks.
Original post by revo349
Hi, thanks for the reply :smile:.

I actually wanted to ask, does undergraduate computer science in lancaster university require A level maths? And if it does is there any opportunities for foundation years? Thanks.

Hi @revo349

From the information I could find on the website, Lancaster does not require A level Mathematics for Computer Science (but applicants with Mathematics will be considered for a lower offer), however the department does require a GCSE Mathematics grade of 6.

The full entry requirements are available on this webpage https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-g400/#course-entry which includes the required BTEC grades (Distinction, Distinction, Distinction).

If you still have any queries about your application I'd recommend emailing the department, the email address can be found on the linked page, but it may be a while before you get a reply as the university is currently on break for Easter.

Rebecca :smile:
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @revo349

From the information I could find on the website, Lancaster does not require A level Mathematics for Computer Science (but applicants with Mathematics will be considered for a lower offer), however the department does require a GCSE Mathematics grade of 6.

The full entry requirements are available on this webpage https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-g400/#course-entry which includes the required BTEC grades (Distinction, Distinction, Distinction).

If you still have any queries about your application I'd recommend emailing the department, the email address can be found on the linked page, but it may be a while before you get a reply as the university is currently on break for Easter.

Rebecca :smile:

wow thats great, i see also lancaster has cyber security. which sounds perfect for me :smile: will definetly be applying. Thanks rebecca
Original post by revo349

Secured an Offer at UCL to study Medical Science and also my Insurance is Pharmacy without a Foundation year. I do have 3D* predicted but this just goes to show that Unis do value BTECS just like A level considering there’s people who applied to the UcL course like me with 5A*s and got accepted and I got 3D* and also got accepted.
Original post by Stonecone
Secured an Offer at UCL to study Medical Science and also my Insurance is Pharmacy without a Foundation year. I do have 3D* predicted but this just goes to show that Unis do value BTECS just like A level considering there’s people who applied to the UcL course like me with 5A*s and got accepted and I got 3D* and also got accepted.

dayumm congrats. did u also do an a level also? or just the btec
Original post by revo349
dayumm congrats. did u also do an a level also? or just the btec

Just BTEC ext diploma

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending