The Student Room Group

Putting photos up at uni

So in the room is a small Cork board and loads of blank wall spaces so want to put more photos up. However I'm not sure whether to use white tac incase it rips the paint. What do others use and what experience do you have with white tac
Blue/white tack often leaves marks on the wall when you remove it, even if it doesn't rip the paint off. I wouldn't recommend it - just get picture frames and stick them on your desk/shelves/etc as appropriate if you must.
Original post by Jess_Lomas
So in the room is a small Cork board and loads of blank wall spaces so want to put more photos up. However I'm not sure whether to use white tac incase it rips the paint. What do others use and what experience do you have with white tac

Hi,

It depends on the surface, blue/white tac is quite oily and that is usually the problem! Have you thought about command strips? I use them at university and have had no problems. I also use blue tac to stick photos on my wardrobe and bookshelf since they are made out of a material that won't get damaged - have you thought of this?

If you are worried about what you are allowed to do to your room, check your contract as you don't want to risk losing your deposit!

All the best,
Sara :smile:
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi,

It depends on the surface, blue/white tac is quite oily and that is usually the problem! Have you thought about command strips? I use them at university and have had no problems. I also use blue tac to stick photos on my wardrobe and bookshelf since they are made out of a material that won't get damaged - have you thought of this?

If you are worried about what you are allowed to do to your room, check your contract as you don't want to risk losing your deposit!

All the best,
Sara :smile:

Thank you for the advise
Yes that sounds like a good idea. I was also thinking about using something like painting or masking tape of lighter things as I know that command strips can get quite expensive

Hey there @Jess_Lomas !
For my first year accommodation, we were told in the contract that we weren't allowed to use blu-tac or sellotape but didn't specifically say anything about command strips so we were allowed to use those. I'd double check what your contract conditions are about it but if they said command strips are okay then I'd suggest using those for your room. This year I've used thick-backed frames to stick up photo frames with command strips but last year when my walls weren't plain white I opted for using string as a bunting to clip photos on with clothes pegs. The room itself had poles here and there in the rooms and I chose to tie string round both sides and get FreePrints printed out. You can find some nice clothing pegs at Hobbycraft, B&M or WH Smith.

My advice about using blu-tac/white-tac is that it might not always take the paint off but it may leave behind a greasy ring on the wall that's quite difficult to get off. I've used blu-tac this year to stick up some fairy lights and I have to keep taking them off and putting them back on every now and then to ensure that no greasy circles are left on the wall. It's also not helpful that command strips are so expensive which is why I opted for blu-tac in the first place. However, going back now I would just pay the extra for command strips as you only have to buy them once, sometimes blu-tac looses it's stick.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @Jess_Lomas !
For my first year accommodation, we were told in the contract that we weren't allowed to use blu-tac or sellotape but didn't specifically say anything about command strips so we were allowed to use those. I'd double check what your contract conditions are about it but if they said command strips are okay then I'd suggest using those for your room. This year I've used thick-backed frames to stick up photo frames with command strips but last year when my walls weren't plain white I opted for using string as a bunting to clip photos on with clothes pegs. The room itself had poles here and there in the rooms and I chose to tie string round both sides and get FreePrints printed out. You can find some nice clothing pegs at Hobbycraft, B&M or WH Smith.

My advice about using blu-tac/white-tac is that it might not always take the paint off but it may leave behind a greasy ring on the wall that's quite difficult to get off. I've used blu-tac this year to stick up some fairy lights and I have to keep taking them off and putting them back on every now and then to ensure that no greasy circles are left on the wall. It's also not helpful that command strips are so expensive which is why I opted for blu-tac in the first place. However, going back now I would just pay the extra for command strips as you only have to buy them once, sometimes blu-tac looses it's stick.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Thanks,
Yes that definitely sounds like a good idea

Hi Jess,
I'd recommend avoiding blu/white tac as it often leaves a mark. Utilise the cork board and pin any pictures etc on that. Alternatively, you could purchase picture frames to stand on any surfaces. If you do want to put anything up on your walls then I'd recommend using command strips or something similar, these tend not to leave a mark.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending