The Student Room Group

My skin keeps flaring up, becoming red, bumpy and itchy and I am not sure why

This is something I have been dealing with for a while now - off and on.

I am fairly pale and due to my red hair and being Scottish any redness is magnified on my skin. As of recently, my face has flare ups and becomes really red - even if it is not overly warm and I have not done any exercise. I get small red bumps here and there, mostly on my cheeks, forehead and around my lips and they are so itchy to the point where it is sore at times too.

I have also noticed a rash like mark under my chin.

I am not allergic to anything that I have been using, and I don't suffer from hay fever, but I am getting tired of looking like a tomato and being really itchy. I am relatively healthy and I have been on the birth control pill for about six years and never had any issues with it. I try and use gentle skin care products and keep what I use to a minimal.

This has been happening on and off for several months and nothing at home seems to be easing the issue at all.
Reply 1
Not related to healthcare personally, but until a professional replies I would definitely recommend seeing a GP about this. Recurring hives and rashes are recommended by the NHS to see one about it, and you could try and getting hold of (hopefully with a prescription from your GP if you go) some anti-histamines which should help.
It's odd, as this does sound like an allergic reaction - until you get hold of a GP, maybe try keeping a food diary (a pain, sorry, I know) and looking when you get these rashes and such. Please be aware (but don't be worried, I don't mean to sound like this is likely at all) that if you ever feel:
Chesty/wheezy: have trouble breathing it talking: or any part of your face (mouth, lips, tongue, etc) swell, you should seek 'immediate medical attention' to quote, at A and E, as that's a severe allergic reaction. Not that that's likely at all.

Sorry for not being of much use, but hopefully that is of some help until someone else turns up or you see a GP. Best wishes, stay well :smile:
Reply 2
Allergy related to something maybe food maybe sunshine.

Quick Reply

Latest