The Student Room Group

Joint honours degree - optional dissertation final year

hi i just wanted to ask if for job prospects they take into account whether or not you have done a dissertation? i'm planning on doing a joint honours for History and Philosophy and for unis like Warwick i've been told that the dissertation is optional, but were i not to do it would that count against me? sorry if this is a dumb question!
Original post by Anonymous
hi i just wanted to ask if for job prospects they take into account whether or not you have done a dissertation? i'm planning on doing a joint honours for History and Philosophy and for unis like Warwick i've been told that the dissertation is optional, but were i not to do it would that count against me? sorry if this is a dumb question!

Hi,
I did a joint honours (History and Law) and had to do a dissertation for one of the subjects (my choice which). It wasn't as long as a single honours and was also worth less credits. My experience is that many like to do a dissertation as they feel it is 'part of being at uni.' However, dissertations can be quite difficult because it is a topic you decide and quite extensively research and commit to.
In terms of job prospects, not doing a dissertation should not be an issue. The only instance I can think where you are sometimes asked is for Master applications but doing a dissertation isn't normally a pre-requsite. Usually, employers want to know you have a degree and sometimes which classification (eg first/second).
If it is optional, it is really a choice for you. If you have a topic in mind you may want to do it and equally if there is a class you'd rather take then that might be the best choice.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi,
I did a joint honours (History and Law) and had to do a dissertation for one of the subjects (my choice which). It wasn't as long as a single honours and was also worth less credits. My experience is that many like to do a dissertation as they feel it is 'part of being at uni.' However, dissertations can be quite difficult because it is a topic you decide and quite extensively research and commit to.
In terms of job prospects, not doing a dissertation should not be an issue. The only instance I can think where you are sometimes asked is for Master applications but doing a dissertation isn't normally a pre-requsite. Usually, employers want to know you have a degree and sometimes which classification (eg first/second).
If it is optional, it is really a choice for you. If you have a topic in mind you may want to do it and equally if there is a class you'd rather take then that might be the best choice.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

thank you! that's super helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending