The Student Room Group

Still waiting on Leeds offer

I've applied for physics (UCAS code F300) and received an email saying my predicted grades were "slightly below" their typical standards, which makes no sense to me as my predicted grades are AAB (which match their entry requirements) and my grade in GCSE English was 6 (also satisfying their requirements). They specified that they were impressed by my application and so are holding onto it for the time being. Their last update was in December last year.

I've gotten offers from all my other applications for the same course (being York, Southampton, Surrey and Sheffield) and was wondering if there was something in particular about Leeds I'm missing.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Brain_In_A_Jar
I've applied for physics (UCAS code F300) and received an email saying my predicted grades were "slightly below" their typical standards, which makes no sense to me as my predicted grades are AAB (which match their entry requirements) and my grade in GCSE English was 6 (also satisfying their requirements). They specified that they were impressed by my application and so are holding onto it for the time being. Their last update was in December last year.

I've gotten offers from all my other applications for the same course (being York, Southampton, Surrey and Sheffield) and was wondering if there was something in particular about Leeds I'm missing.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Perhaps (and I don't know whether this is the case or not - I'm just guessing) when they say your "predicted grades were "slightly below" their typical standards" they really mean one of the following:

1. We've had lots of great applicants this year, and we have more people whose predicted grades match our standard entry requirement than usual. So we can only make offers to those whose predicted grades exceed our standard entry requirement this year.

2. We know that predicted grades are, on average, optimistic. So we know (from experience) that if we want candidates who achieve AAB, that means we want candidates who have been predicted AAA.

The fact that they're "holding onto it for the time being" - rather than it being an outright rejection - means that they're waiting to see what candidates to whom they've made offers do. If those candidates firm/insure elsewhere, then Leeds can get away with making further offers (to people like you) without the risk of having too many students on the course.

It is slightly odd, however, that they said this back in December - way before the equal consideration deadline and so way before they'll have even received many applications.

Is there a particular reason Leeds holds so much appeal for you, compared to the other excellent universities from which you've already received offers?
Thanks for your response.
I have no idea as to why Leeds holds appeal for me, since I haven't gone to any offer holder/open days and haven't really interacted with them outside of my application (if that makes sense).
Wow - that’s really frustrating. What were the requirements for your other offers?
Original post by ajj2000
Wow - that’s really frustrating. What were the requirements for your other offers?

Basically identical; AAB for York, Surrey and Sheffield and ABB for Southampton.
Original post by Brain_In_A_Jar
Basically identical; AAB for York, Surrey and Sheffield and ABB for Southampton.

Those are great offers! Seem lower than the norm for York and southampton?
Original post by ajj2000
Those are great offers! Seem lower than the norm for York and southampton?

Probably should've mentioned I've applied for lower entry requirements and a scholarship at Southampton (still waiting on the scholarship but I got the lower offer). Don't know about York though, the course webpage says AAB - you may be confusing it for another course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending