The Student Room Group

Move out or commute?

I'm about to turn 18, and I have secured an apprenticeship. It's about 45minutes from where I live, therefore once I passed my test, it should be an easy drive. I have been thinking alot lately about how "uni life" and meeting your lifelong friends etc etc. I also have strict asian parents and don't quite have the independence and lenience that I would like, in comparison to moving out? Therefore uni did appeal to me alot in the social life aspect. However, I am pretty set on doing my degree apprenticeship, but I have the opportunity to move in and flatshare with some of the other apprenitces. However, my salary will be 15k. I'm not sure if it's better to stay at home and save that money, or move out, experience living with friends for the first year and then come back home for the rest of the apprenticeship? Or stay at home and save for the whole 3 years and put that money towards a nicer car, house, travel opportunities etc?
Original post by pips1242
I'm about to turn 18, and I have secured an apprenticeship. It's about 45minutes from where I live, therefore once I passed my test, it should be an easy drive. I have been thinking alot lately about how "uni life" and meeting your lifelong friends etc etc. I also have strict asian parents and don't quite have the independence and lenience that I would like, in comparison to moving out? Therefore uni did appeal to me alot in the social life aspect. However, I am pretty set on doing my degree apprenticeship, but I have the opportunity to move in and flatshare with some of the other apprenitces. However, my salary will be 15k. I'm not sure if it's better to stay at home and save that money, or move out, experience living with friends for the first year and then come back home for the rest of the apprenticeship? Or stay at home and save for the whole 3 years and put that money towards a nicer car, house, travel opportunities etc?

Stay at home as you'll pay a fortune for accommodation.

Just arrange with your parents how much you to pay them monthly ( they might not take anything) and then save money for the future as you'll not get any cheaper than at home.

You can still have your nights out at university although you are staying home okay.

Just don't drink and drive afterwards is the best advice for you when you have night's out with friends as leave car at home.
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
Stay at home as you'll pay a fortune for accommodation.

Just arrange with your parents how much you to pay them monthly ( they might not take anything) and then save money for the future as you'll not get any cheaper than at home.

You can still have your nights out at university although you are staying home okay.

Just don't drink and drive afterwards is the best advice for you when you have night's out with friends as leave car at home.

Yeah I think I will. I just worry that there wont be many "nights out at uni" seeing as I will be doing it remotely once a week most of the time. So I worry that i wont have a social life unless i move out
Original post by pips1242

How much would the flat share be? A 90 minute comuute each day isn't cheap and will be time consuming. A mile costs 45p roughly so factor in that and the cost of a car etc.

Independence is important.
It’s a tricky one as an apprenticeship is very different to a degree or something.because you’re only in like once a week. Personally I’d take the offer it’ll help out socially and give you experience of how to look after your self in the future. You will get it wrong at some point but everyone does also as you’ll be earning it will be easier if you do make a miss-step to fix it I’d say do it.
It's a common dilemma for a lot of students, but end of the day you'll be able to do your apprenticeship, and anything else is secondary to that. If you're worried about losing out in terms of your social life, maybe set aside some of the money you would've spent on accommodation on a sort of 'going out allowance' which you wouldn't have given yourself otherwise. Also, do keep in mind that living in accommodation isn't always the stereotype of constant parties that it's always cracked up to be. Some halls are absolute deserts when it comes to flatparties and social life generally, so don't necessarily think you're missing out horribly by not signing up to an expensive tenancy agreement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending