The Student Room Group

Poll - Is it wrong to hang up the phone on someone who is shouting or swearing?

As the title suggests, please help settle a debate:

Is it morally wrong to hang up the phone on your partner mid-discussion, even if that person is shouting at you, swearing at you or insulting you?

A - Yes, it is always wrong to hang up mid-discussion, even in these circumstances.

B - No, it is justifiable to hang up on someone in these particular circumstances.

C - Both parties are equally in the wrong.

If you answered C, which is more offensive: insulting, shouting at or swearing at your partner, or hanging up the phone as a result of such behaviour?
C- it depends why they're shouting. if they have no legitimate/good reason then B
Reply 2
C - you should just say, I’m not going to speak to you until you calm down and stay patiently on the line waiting
B

Being a positive challenge and someone that sets and enforces clear boundaries is the route to putting yourself in the elite most attractive set of people. According to the theory from leading dating coaches.

Staying on the phone when someone is shouting at / swearing at / insulting you is training them that it's OK for them to do it.
Hanging up the phone is training them that it's not OK for them to do it.

The other person can shout / swear / insult all they want. You can also do what you want with your time. A key question to ask yourself is "What else?" What else could you do with your time apart from listen to negative stuff coming at you from your phone?
B - Ain’t nobody got time for that.
If they’re justified in their shouting and yelling, and you know that they are rightly lashing out and you deserve it but you still hung up, then it’s morally wrong, if your conscience says so; in my opinion, of course.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by LegalTom
If they’re justified in their shouting and yelling, and you know that they are rightly lashing out and you deserve it but you still hung up, then it’s morally wrong, if your conscience says so; in my opinion, of course.

Victim blaming?

Under what circumstance is there reasonable justification for shouting / swearing at / insulting your partner over the phone?

I can't think of any.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Victim blaming?

Under what circumstance is there reasonable justification for shouting / swearing at / insulting your partner over the phone?

I can't think of any.

He/she gambles with saved mortgage deposit and now your life savings is out the window? I reckon you’d be as cool as cucumber over the phone?
Absolutely not, most companies take this approach as well.
B without a doubt
No, it is not wrong to hangup the telephone on a partner who is shouting aggressively or being verbally abusive.

If the partner is furious with good reason for instance about a serious incident involving dishonesty or a crime that the partner is responsible for, the yelling abuse down the phone is not the answer.
Discuss things calmly when face to face or calmly text/email/send a letter clarifying that the relationship is over with no further contact to be entered into and possibly mention a few of the reasons why.
Original post by LegalTom
He/she gambles with saved mortgage deposit and now your life savings is out the window? I reckon you’d be as cool as cucumber over the phone?

The money has gone. They'd know that they'd made a bad mistake and that you were livid. Shouting, swearing, insulting them isn't going to do any good.

Why give them access to your savings account in the first place? Even the cleverest and wisest people can get scammed. Or, if they have a history of impulsive gambling when you're a saver-investor, why get involved with them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending