The Student Room Group

What to do if you are dumb

So, I Graduated from Bristol in Chemistry with a 2.1.
To get a 2.1 I had to spend on average 12-14 hours a day studying ( if I did less I would have failed ).

I got very bad scores for my exams.... Some were even 40s. The only way I managed to get a 2.1 is by getting very good marks in my coursework and lab work. I cannot memorize a thing or do any exams well. Additionally I get 25% extra time and with this I always ran out of time in my exams. I never finished a single exam in my life on time. I had to break up an amazing relationship with a girl due to studying ( I wanted to get a 2.1 )... When other students dated ppl, went to societies and did fun stuff... I not only had 0 social life
.. I had no time to take care of myself.

Whenever I did an exam I would forget everything a week after.

I was pushed by my parents to do an ACA scheme ( where you work 9-5 and then you study for the exams)... They only said study 2-3 hrs and you will be fine ...

I spent 7-8 hrs studying... After work. And yes!! They are effective hours... Because I tried 4 and it all was going to ****.

I'm doing my third retakes now. The company doesn't rly allow ( from what I understood) to do more than 2... But since I'm doing well and the office they allowed me too. And I failed that... I have the knowledge of the material... I understand it well and apply it well at work ... I even get job done much faster than expected.

But I can't do exams. I was kind of even I interviewed to see where my knowledge gaos are or understanding gaps. NO PROBLEM.

I even got an award for my dissertation at uni even thou I did it in bloody Journalism ( not my degree ... I self learned lots of stuff myself and expressed it good enough to get a #1 in the faculty ).

I'm getting fired tmr having just worked 3 months.
I feel so down... Idk what I will do in my life
.... My parents sacrificed so much to get me to the UK ... So I can get educated and become someone.

I have no friends left as I just work... No relationship... Nothing...

Please help me.

I'm able to work extremely long hours... But I can't do exams. Any career options where I would get good pay and good career without exams.
You are not dumb. You just don't excel at exams as you have identified.
You have many other skills as you have identified. There are plenty of grad schemes for someone like you that don't require exams. I would give examples of such jobs but it seems you have great research skills. Have you considered working in a lab? Not necessarily in a chemistry lab. And please try to have a better work life balance in future, it is important to look after yourself.
(edited 1 year ago)
You should read the book 'Rich Dad and Poor Dad'. It really helps you understand, that yes education is important but is that the only way?
You dont have friends, you dont NEED them. Making friends is a 'want' which you can fulfil if you WANT to, but its not a need. You can survive without people, its actually better and helpful.

Instead of friends, make connections. That is a long term goal which has helped many individuals acheive. By connnection I mean academic connections, people who work in certain places who can take you where you WANT to be.

As far as I can read, you study 7-8 hours a day yet you fail. Now, how do you study? read the textbooks? watch videos? practice the course work?

Reading from the text book and course work, is NEVER enough. You're hearing this from an individual who failed their A levels, but is doing finance and is in a stable position with a GPA of 3.5.

"Look outside the box" its a common saying right? but have you implemented it? If you cant find the answer in the book, check other sources. Book a tutor, ask someone to help you. I do recommend finding a solution on your own as its more reliant, cheap and a great learning method to really understand how to study and when to study.

Being bad at something isnt a thing, its the way you percieve it. If you think youre bad at it, I gurantee you, you will be bad at it. If you convince yourself, youre good at it, there is a high chance of you attaining your goals without the idea of failure. Dont be scared of fear or failure, learn and accept it.

your mind right now says, you suck at exams and youre dumb. thats where you're wrong. No one is dumb, its the excessive knowledge you contain. You study long hours and see no difference. try studying short hours with complete focus and utter attention. make short atainable goals.

You never know, your 'dumb' self may end up on the top 30 in forbes.
Stop living your life for your parents.

You can show your appreciation in other ways then bowing down to their every command/want. If they don’t like it…thank them, and move on with your life.

Trust me. You will be a lot happier- and yes, I talk from experience.
Original post by Anonymous
You should read the book 'Rich Dad and Poor Dad'. It really helps you understand, that yes education is important but is that the only way?
You dont have friends, you dont NEED them. Making friends is a 'want' which you can fulfil if you WANT to, but its not a need. You can survive without people, its actually better and helpful.

Instead of friends, make connections. That is a long term goal which has helped many individuals acheive. By connnection I mean academic connections, people who work in certain places who can take you where you WANT to be.

As far as I can read, you study 7-8 hours a day yet you fail. Now, how do you study? read the textbooks? watch videos? practice the course work?

Reading from the text book and course work, is NEVER enough. You're hearing this from an individual who failed their A levels, but is doing finance and is in a stable position with a GPA of 3.5.

"Look outside the box" its a common saying right? but have you implemented it? If you cant find the answer in the book, check other sources. Book a tutor, ask someone to help you. I do recommend finding a solution on your own as its more reliant, cheap and a great learning method to really understand how to study and when to study.

Being bad at something isnt a thing, its the way you percieve it. If you think youre bad at it, I gurantee you, you will be bad at it. If you convince yourself, youre good at it, there is a high chance of you attaining your goals without the idea of failure. Dont be scared of fear or failure, learn and accept it.

your mind right now says, you suck at exams and youre dumb. thats where you're wrong. No one is dumb, its the excessive knowledge you contain. You study long hours and see no difference. try studying short hours with complete focus and utter attention. make short atainable goals.

Nonsense. Having friends is one of the most important things in life.
And I believe he mentioned losing a woman which is even worse than having no mates!
Nonsense. Having friends is one of the most important things in life.
And I believe he mentioned losing a woman which is even worse than having no mates!

My intention is not to state having friends suck. I want to state how priortising yourself, is more important than running of to other people stating your problems.

having friends is amazing, I have many close friends myself.

But when you really realise your worth, and understand time is all you need along with a little bit of a shove to get you right up on ur feet. That is the day you'll live ur best life.

Struggle now, dont involve people. Let others see your success. if you're being questioned? go on brag about your intense journey.

Man, it's just a tough course. I did the entire question bank 7 times, bought additional courses... I understand the material very well. They even arranged a Tutor meeting for me and they found out that I have no knowledge gaps and my understanding is superior. The exams themselves are nothing like any practice. Oxbridge grads fail these.
Original post by skyangelbro
Man, it's just a tough course. I did the entire question bank 7 times, bought additional courses... I understand the material very well. They even arranged a Tutor meeting for me and they found out that I have no knowledge gaps and my understanding is superior. The exams themselves are nothing like any practice. Oxbridge grads fail these.

I think it's great that you have recognised that you have a weakness in exams. Now you need to research careers where you can do well without sitting exams. There are plenty.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending