The Student Room Group

HELP!!!

So normally at school and at home I'm always, ok so if I get so and so done I can do whatever I want later. But no I feel like at a loss of energy. The only time I'm happy is when I'm talking to some friends online. But i feel so empty all the time. And my mom and stepfather don't wanna do anything about it really. They made me start seeing a counselor but it's once a week.

They always tell me "You're so negative all the time, maybe if you thought positive thoughts you wouldn't be sad." But I don't think they understand how hard it is to get over being in the same room as your dad when he died, as a teenager. I just want some real help. All I ever do is sit around, try to occupy myself with track and sports, try to be proud of myself for stuff(Which I get shot down for) and watch television.
What should I do?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Firstly I am really so sorry to hear of the death of your Dad. The emotions you feel are huge and sometimes it is easier not to think about them and block them out (although many will say this is not a good thing) That's ok if that helps you get through a time and a space where those memories are very painful. Ignore everyone's advice on how they dealt with their own loss and just go with how you feel. If you didn't feel anything at all it would be a worry. Feeling 'empty' is only natural. Just allow yourself to feel like you do. If you feel like being sad be sad. If you feel like being happy be happy. Get lots of hugs and find friends who will just listen to you if you want to talk about anything. There are no set rules for coping with the loss of someone you have loved. It is raw, it is painful, it is unfair. One minute you are ok and the next the world is empty. The loss is greater when you reach out or miss the routines that were always there, and which are now gone.

When you look at the sunset, the sunrise it is the realisation that the world carries on regardless and we are just transient and passing through. Life is a struggle, and at times down right hard. Slowly the memories of people we have loved start to fade. They will always be part of us, our life space, and our world. Take the good memories with you on your journey ahead and allow yourself to hold onto them. It may feel like you are just going through the motions of living right now, but that is absolutely normal. In time this will change. Be the person your Dad would have wanted you to be. Remember all the good times if you can and know that your Dad would have wanted the best for you.

Talking therapies can help, but only if you want the space to talk about how you feel, or perhaps to explore the relationship you had.

There are charities out there which offer support aimed at young people. These can help, and it can help to know you are not alone in feeling the way you do. You do your best, nothing more, and take each day at a time.

https://www.winstonswish.org

https://help2makesense.org/get-support/
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
Firstly I am really so sorry to hear of the death of your Dad. The emotions you feel are huge and sometimes it is easier not to think about them and block them out (although many will say this is not a good thing) That's ok if that helps you get through a time and a space where those memories are very painful. Ignore everyone's advice on how they dealt with their own loss and just go with how you feel. If you didn't feel anything at all it would be a worry. Feeling 'empty' is only natural. Just allow yourself to feel like you do. If you feel like being sad be sad. If you feel like being happy be happy. Get lots of hugs and find friends who will just listen to you if you want to talk about anything. There are no set rules for coping with the loss of someone you have loved. It is raw, it is painful, it is unfair. One minute you are ok and the next the world is empty. The loss is greater when you reach out or miss the routines that were always there, and which are now gone.

When you look at the sunset, the sunrise it is the realisation that the world carries on regardless and we are just transient and passing through. Life is a struggle, and at times down right hard. Slowly the memories of people we have loved start to fade. They will always be part of us, our life space, and our world. Take the good memories with you on your journey ahead and allow yourself to hold onto them. It may feel like you are just going through the motions of living right now, but that is absolutely normal. In time this will change. Be the person your Dad would have wanted you to be. Remember all the good times if you can and know that your Dad would have wanted the best for you.

Talking therapies can help, but only if you want the space to talk about how you feel, or perhaps to explore the relationship you had.

There are charities out there which offer support aimed at young people. These can help, and it can help to know you are not alone in feeling the way you do. You do your best, nothing more, and take each day at a time.

https://www.winstonswish.org

https://help2makesense.org/get-support/

It's been two years since that happened, but at the same time I was telling my mother about some trauma that happened to me when I was little. Because when I was little for a while, a family member did like try to convince me something was ok when it wasn't I'm not saying what because I don't wanna get flagged, and my brother also did have some physical violence when i was little when he got mad at me and stuff so yeah, my dad isn't the only reason. I really appreciate that <3 you didn't have to write a whole bunch of paragraphs.
Original post by V0ID
So normally at school and at home I'm always, ok so if I get so and so done I can do whatever I want later. But no I feel like at a loss of energy. The only time I'm happy is when I'm talking to some friends online. But i feel so empty all the time. And my mom and stepfather don't wanna do anything about it really. They made me start seeing a counselor but it's once a week.

They always tell me "You're so negative all the time, maybe if you thought positive thoughts you wouldn't be sad." But I don't think they understand how hard it is to get over being in the same room as your dad when he died, as a teenager. I just want some real help. All I ever do is sit around, try to occupy myself with track and sports, try to be proud of myself for stuff(Which I get shot down for) and watch television.
What should I do?

Hey void, firstly im very sorry about your dad, that must have been awful. I get the emptiness. I dont have any advice, but i get you. Often it feels like no one gets it, and meaningless phrases like you'll feel better tomorrow, or, just try to think positive, really annoy me - they are never sincere and it feels like no one gets you. Ultimately, ive realised youve gotta help yourself because no one else will - force yourself to talk to more people and be outwardly (and often too) confident and happy, and you *almost* forget about stuff. Carry on doing the stuff you like, and maybe pick up some more hobbies.
Sorry this is pretty crap advice, i dont know what else to say
(ps, hope it goes okay with the guy at the track)
Reply 4
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Hey void, firstly im very sorry about your dad, that must have been awful. I get the emptiness. I dont have any advice, but i get you. Often it feels like no one gets it, and meaningless phrases like you'll feel better tomorrow, or, just try to think positive, really annoy me - they are never sincere and it feels like no one gets you. Ultimately, ive realised youve gotta help yourself because no one else will - force yourself to talk to more people and be outwardly (and often too) confident and happy, and you *almost* forget about stuff. Carry on doing the stuff you like, and maybe pick up some more hobbies.
Sorry this is pretty crap advice, i dont know what else to say
(ps, hope it goes okay with the guy at the track)

Thanks,
(P.S I hope we can become friends :biggrin:)
Original post by V0ID
Thanks,
(P.S I hope we can become friends :biggrin:)

Definitely!
Reply 6
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Definitely!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending