The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Headed to University this Autumn? Here’s What to Bring...

A beginner's guide with top tips, dos and don’ts: Congrats on receiving your offer to study! Moving away from home for the first time for higher education? Then this guide is for you. I have compiled this list based on my personal experience of moving to study at Swansea University. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but it gives you a great starting point. As I am an international student, I have also included a few nifty tips that may be useful if you are moving to a whole new country not just a city for education!
(edited 1 year ago)
Documents

ID Arguably the most important items on the list. Carry your National ID/Driver’s license or in the case of international students Passports, but you’ll be surprised at how many other things fall under this category.

Finance don’t forget to bring a handy hardcopy of documents such as letters from Student Finance, Letters confirming your Bursary or Scholarships, Letter confirming payment of tuition fee deposit and documents you may need to open a Student Bank Account.

Admissions one of the first things you'll do is check in with the admissions team to enrol as well as receive you student ID card. For this you are likely required to bring the following documents University acceptance letter, Original School Transcripts (A-levels/IB/Equivalent), results of proficiency exams such as IELTS.

Accommodation if you have opted to stay in uni accommodation, bring the letter confirming details of your accommodation booking and confirmation of where to go to collect your keys. For private accommodation bring your signed contract and letter confirming your deposit has been put in a deposit protection scheme.

TOP TIP Keep a printed copy of all documents in a clear folder/file in your backpack or carry-on luggage so it is at-hand when you arrive.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Wardrobe

Space in all types of uni housing is limited. To make the most of your closet space bring essentials.

Unpredictable weather UK is known for its ever-changing weather, going from sunny to cloudy to raining all in one hour or less. Clothing such as waterproof jackets, windcheaters and jumpers/sweaters are a must.

Clothing bring your favourite causal clothes to uni. The key is bringing layers indoors you may be fine in a lightweight jumper in the winter or a t-shirt in the summer, outdoors you may need long coats, scarves or thin jackets depending on the weather so pack a variety. Toss in a few smart clothes for uni functions or cultural events.

Swansea has many beautiful outdoor spots for hiking and beaches with water sport options, so I chose to bring along a wetsuit for the open waters and my good hiking boots!

TOP TIP Your closet or room may not have adequate storage so for example, bring a foldable/collapsible box etc for underbed storage. International travellers be mindful of the weight limit on your luggage, bulky clothing may take up valuable space so choose accordingly.
Keepsakes

Moving away from home is daunting. You'll miss your family, familiar surroundings, favourite spots, etc. make sure you allocate space in your luggage to bring some keepsakes that you can use to decorate your room to give it a homey feel. Most housing will not allow candles or incense so don’t bring them to uni. You'll have a dedicated study space or desk so bring familiar things to decorate it.

TOP TIP bring or purchase white tack on arrival. To avoid making marks on walls in rented accommodations, use white tack to stick on posters, hang your family photos.
Kitchen

Foods - Pack some non-perishable foods that will tide you over for a couple of days before you can shop for groceries and other essentials.

Utensils keep your list short. A good pot and pan along with cutlery and crockery for one person should be enough to get you started. Don’t pack items such as air fryers or toasters as you won’t know how much space and electric sockets are available to you before you move to your uni home. Some accommodations supply the kitchens with an electric kettle, microwave, and toaster. Contact your housing provider to find out what is already available.

Snacks one of the things I missed the most in my initial days was snacks that were specifically from my country! We always associate memories and home with food. If travelling from outside UK, do bring a small stash of comfort snacks. For example as an Indian, I missed Maggi masala noodles a lot until I found an Asian grocery shop here in Swansea.

TOP TIP once you have made friends with your flatmates, you can buy shared appliances and even utensils to round out your kitchen.
Miscellaneous

International travellers, do pack adapters for your mobile and laptop chargers. Most universities do not have enough parking for students, so don’t bring a car to uni as you may end up not being able to park it conveniently or have additional parking charges. If you are booking private accommodation, find out beforehand if they have a parking space or permit parking available. Cycling is an easy way to get around Swansea so that’s what I bought once I moved in. Bedding items duvet covers, sheets, pillowcases and pillows are important items, find out the size of your bed before purchasing and packing.

Support at Swansea University

If you have any questions, do get in touch with us at Swansea University - https://www.swansea.ac.uk - for more details and tailored advice.

Ruchika Yadav Swansea Student Ambassador 3rd Year Graduate Entry Medicine
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest