The Student Room Group

Help!! My A levels are in a month

So, I struggle a lot with chronic depression that got worse in my two years of sixth form… and got really really really bad recently. I had all these plans to start revision at Christmas, then it got to Easter, and I still haven’t started because it’s been so hard to even get out of bed. I have a month until my exams, my notes are all a mess, I have mocks in a few days (so that minuses even more time for revision) and I’m so terrified that I’m screwed. I’m usually a “perfect student” but mental health has completely re-written that part of myself.

I study AQA English literature, OCR media studies and AQA psychology, with psychology being the one I find the hardest. I’m aiming for As/A*s, and I’m so so scared that it won’t be possible now, so any advice would be really appreciated :smile:
hi, please inform any unis you have about your circumstances and see what they say. Also speak to your GP and get a letter showing that you have sought help, and summarising your issues. The unis may offer lower offers, or extra support. Practically, for studying, divide the specification of each subject ( and print out the spec ) by the amount of days you have left. For me it's 2 maths and 3 psychology bullet points. Then do that amount every day.
I don't get why schools are doing mocks now, like how is a student going to improve after the mocks are done then marked and you get feedback smh.
Original post by Milkandcookiess
So, I struggle a lot with chronic depression that got worse in my two years of sixth form… and got really really really bad recently. I had all these plans to start revision at Christmas, then it got to Easter, and I still haven’t started because it’s been so hard to even get out of bed. I have a month until my exams, my notes are all a mess, I have mocks in a few days (so that minuses even more time for revision) and I’m so terrified that I’m screwed. I’m usually a “perfect student” but mental health has completely re-written that part of myself.

I study AQA English literature, OCR media studies and AQA psychology, with psychology being the one I find the hardest. I’m aiming for As/A*s, and I’m so so scared that it won’t be possible now, so any advice would be really appreciated :smile:

Just try your best in the exams and obviously with revision but don't do too much either. Your mental health is more important at the end of the day. You just need to do the best you can do and that's just it.

Heya!
I'm sorry you have to go through this :frown: I would first recommend talking to your teacher for some advice and support, they will be able to help you once you explain your situation. Regarding the studies, you can just do your best. I would recommend focusing on past papers and going through the mark scheme as much as you can. If it helps, Study Mind has free practice questions.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

hey i'm in a similar position to you. my MH has been at its worst throughout all of sixth form and i've barely done anything. i'm also aiming for A's. especially this easter, had one of my biggest depressive episodes and idek if i'll be able to make it into school tomorrow. you are not alone nd the only bit of advice i can give is to not compare yourself to other ppl and their work ethic. we have different circumstances. nothing is impossible; if you've been a 'perfect student' in the past, then you still have the potential to get the grades you want. what were ur most recent grades if u don't mind me asking?? i won't lie to you, it is going to be hard, but if you have something you're working towards, then by no means is it completely unachievable. this comes from a place of recognition and tbh, it may fall under mitigating circumstances. i've never really researched this myself so idk, but i imagine if it did, then you would have to have proof of an absence from school or a doctors note or something unfortunately :frown: not sure how similar AQA and edexcel english are, but if you do any of these: streetcar, othello, rossetti, dracula, beloved, ..., then i'm sure we may be able to help each other.

Hello,

Greetings! Hope you are doing well.

It's understandable that you're feeling overwhelmed and anxious about your upcoming exams, especially given your struggles with chronic depression. Here are a few tips that may be helpful:

Focus on small goals: Instead of looking at the big picture, try to break your revision down into small, manageable tasks. For example, set a goal to review one chapter of your notes each day, or to complete one past paper each week.

Practice self-care: It's important to take care of yourself during this stressful time. Make sure you're getting enough sleep, eating well, and exercising regularly. Take breaks when you need to, and do things that make you feel good, like reading a book, taking a walk, or listening to music.

Seek support: Talk to your teachers, parents, or a counselor about your struggles with depression and how they're impacting your ability to revise. They may be able to provide you with additional resources or accommodations to help you succeed.

Use study resources: There are many resources available online that can help you prepare for your exams, such as past papers, revision guides, and study groups. Make use of these resources to supplement your own studying.

Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, can help you stay focused and calm during your revision. You may also want to consider seeking out a mindfulness course or app to help you develop these skills.

Remember, it's okay to not be perfect and to struggle with mental health issues. Focus on doing the best you can with the resources and support available to you, and remember that your worth is not defined by your exam results.

Warm Regards,
Megha Sharma
Student Ambassador
MSc Business Analytics
Coventry University

Hi @Milkandcookiess

I'm so sorry to hear you've been struggling! :frown: I will say you should be very proud of yourself. You have been trying your best, even when it feels like you haven't been doing much on certain days.

If I were you, I would definitely make it a priority to speak to your lecturer and tutor about putting in place an Extenuating Circumstances application that can explain poor performance on your exams and allow for reduced entry requirements when applying to universities. In terms of revision, I would focus more on answering past exam papers, marking with answer sheets and trying that same paper again at a later date to improve your recall. This way, you can get the most out of the time you have left.

Best of luck! :smile:

Estelle
Second Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest