The Student Room Group

Autism support at uni

Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with or know anything about support for autistic students at the following universities?
Thank you! :smile:

Kent
Durham
Exeter
Birmingham
Lancaster
York
Glasgow
Bath
Edinburgh
Warwick
Royal Holloway
St Andrews
Original post by sarah_1h
Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with or know anything about support for autistic students at the following universities?

Kent
Durham
Exeter
Birmingham
Lancaster
York
Glasgow
Bath
Edinburgh
Warwick
Royal Holloway
St Andrews

Hiya,
I am a third year at University of Bath and I know that they have a lot of support in place for autistic students. I am a 'Campus Buddy' for new students who have disclosed Asperger syndrome, an Autism Spectrum Condition, Social Anxiety or Social Phobia. The service provides informal support with the social and practical aspects of student life during the first semester at University, for example, navigation around campus and town, joining clubs and societies, etc! I know that the University also runs an Autism Social Group. When choosing halls don’t forget there are options to choose quiet or alcohol-free accommodation! The support here is just amazing and the Disability Advice Team are so helpful and friendly.
Hope that helps!
Hi
I'm autisitc and have the uni support however I go to Sheffield which I know isn't on the list but it might still help
- So there are adjustments made which I had a meeting about which range from regular lectures to exams
- I have a document which is provided to all lectures which state how autism impacts me, and explains how to support me such as making sure that feedback is consice, me being able to leave lectures early, only asking questions if volunteered, presentations to only one person, support or doing group work myself
- There are also ones for exams and other specific adjustments such as small room, extra time, rest breaks.
- There are also some just general ones that were done as I am registered with the disability uni support such as being able to retake the exams if needed, having a disability liasion on the course, having more meetings with supervisors, extended deadlines , extended library loans etc. which are put in place for any disabled student
- As well as these adjustments there are social groups one lunchtime during the week as well as one evening one once a week, there is also a disability service society which have activites which are more accessible and help teach life skills

Also not uni related but have you applied for the DSA as they can provide software to help on your course as well as a mentor to help you with adjustments (let me know if you want any more info about the DSA)

Also during intro week there is more support like a orrientation person who shows me around, I am also buddied up with someone on the course in a higher year who is autistic if possible and then there is also a residence mentor who I meet when moving in and checks up on me throughout the year.

I'm guessing your in Y12 and just preparing ? If so I would reccomend going to as many open days as possible and speaking with the DDSS team there as they are normally happy to answer any questions you might have ASD related or otherwise

Kent
Durham
Exeter
Birmingham
Lancaster
York
Glasgow
Bath
Edinburgh
Warwick
Royal Holloway
St Andrews

Hiya

This website mentions all the support for autistic students at Durham: https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/student-support-and-wellbeing/disability-support/support/autism-support/

You can also read here some blogs where current students have shared their experience of disability support at Durham:
https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/my-experience-with-disability-support-at-durham/
https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/disability-support-at-durham/
https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/academic-support-at-durham-a-k-a-how-i-survived-my-degree/

-Himieka
I attended Lancaster. I told them I was autistic - after initially being hesitant to declare it on UCAS - sent in the documents to prove it, reams upon reams of documents that involved my parents contacting someone at the local hospital I used to see as an older child (which included very personal details - e.g. about phobias that stemmed from being autistic - that I really didn't want anyone else knowing about), and they told me it wasn't enough - like they didn't believe me, it was misdiagnosed, or as if it could've 'gone away' in the intervening years since the diagnosis and subsequent visits to various medical professionals - and they, effectively, wanted me to get re-diagnosed. I wasn't putting myself through such a mortifying, humiliating experience, and me not having been to a GP since I was 11 (bar one fleeting visit at 15) would've probably made things worse in trying to do what they wanted. They just said it in the email, as if it was the easiest thing in the world; go to a GP and have them write a letter proving you've (still) got ASD, as if they wanted to make sure I still had it and they weren't providing support they didn't need to.

I didn't do that, didn't respond, and I never heard from them again; I didn't want to risk it going against me and somehow my masking, or getting an unsympathetic doctor, being sufficient to having my diagnosis ripped away from me. I was there for three years, plus a year at postgrad (and they wondered why I didn't declare my disability to the uni when I applied for that!). I was privy to other students' bad experiences with its disability team too (including people with far more physical disabilities who talked about repeatedly hitting brick walls and getting nowhere when they asked for support), although perhaps I just happened to be around people with less-than-positive experiences of the service, and the good experiences don't really get talked about because you're only gonna really talk about the service if it's something you feel let down by, if that makes sense.

So if you want to go there - unless you're just gathering experiences etc. for some other reason - be careful and be ready to fight your corner. I didn't really care one way or the other, as I hated the way I was mollycoddled throughout school due to my disability and the level of bureaucracy that being open about it at uni appeared to entail put me off doing anything about it. The only thing is that the ADHD I was also diagnosed with as a young age - which I didn't know about until a few years ago - started to flare up noticeably during my Master's, and it meant I'm receiving a lower award as a result of its effect on my studies; perhaps somehow receiving support for my ASD could've helped with that, even though I would've hated having to go see someone every so often ON TOP of my tutor as a result of that (with both my undergrad and postgrad tutors, I had as few meetings with them as possible as I just wanted to be left alone to get on rather than being forced to see someone and have them make me do things I simply don't have the energy for if I somehow gave off concerns; I talked about this hatred of bureaucracy earlier).

I'm posting this anonymously for my own privacy, as I don't want this post full of personal anecdotes linked to my long-term, if mostly inactive, account. Aside from this (and their recent failure to adequately communicate with me regarding resits that meant I missed them), I don't really have anything against the uni. I wouldn't say I enjoyed my time there, but more on the content/indifferent side of how I view my four years there (almost five if you count how long it's taken them to decide what award for my postgrad studies I'm getting; I'm STILL enrolled as a student because of that).
Original post by Anonymous
I attended Lancaster. I told them I was autistic - after initially being hesitant to declare it on UCAS - sent in the documents to prove it, reams upon reams of documents that involved my parents contacting someone at the local hospital I used to see as an older child (which included very personal details - e.g. about phobias that stemmed from being autistic - that I really didn't want anyone else knowing about), and they told me it wasn't enough - like they didn't believe me, it was misdiagnosed, or as if it could've 'gone away' in the intervening years since the diagnosis and subsequent visits to various medical professionals - and they, effectively, wanted me to get re-diagnosed. I wasn't putting myself through such a mortifying, humiliating experience, and me not having been to a GP since I was 11 (bar one fleeting visit at 15) would've probably made things worse in trying to do what they wanted. They just said it in the email, as if it was the easiest thing in the world; go to a GP and have them write a letter proving you've (still) got ASD, as if they wanted to make sure I still had it and they weren't providing support they didn't need to.

I didn't do that, didn't respond, and I never heard from them again; I didn't want to risk it going against me and somehow my masking, or getting an unsympathetic doctor, being sufficient to having my diagnosis ripped away from me. I was there for three years, plus a year at postgrad (and they wondered why I didn't declare my disability to the uni when I applied for that!). I was privy to other students' bad experiences with its disability team too (including people with far more physical disabilities who talked about repeatedly hitting brick walls and getting nowhere when they asked for support), although perhaps I just happened to be around people with less-than-positive experiences of the service, and the good experiences don't really get talked about because you're only gonna really talk about the service if it's something you feel let down by, if that makes sense.

So if you want to go there - unless you're just gathering experiences etc. for some other reason - be careful and be ready to fight your corner. I didn't really care one way or the other, as I hated the way I was mollycoddled throughout school due to my disability and the level of bureaucracy that being open about it at uni appeared to entail put me off doing anything about it. The only thing is that the ADHD I was also diagnosed with as a young age - which I didn't know about until a few years ago - started to flare up noticeably during my Master's, and it meant I'm receiving a lower award as a result of its effect on my studies; perhaps somehow receiving support for my ASD could've helped with that, even though I would've hated having to go see someone every so often ON TOP of my tutor as a result of that (with both my undergrad and postgrad tutors, I had as few meetings with them as possible as I just wanted to be left alone to get on rather than being forced to see someone and have them make me do things I simply don't have the energy for if I somehow gave off concerns; I talked about this hatred of bureaucracy earlier).

I'm posting this anonymously for my own privacy, as I don't want this post full of personal anecdotes linked to my long-term, if mostly inactive, account. Aside from this (and their recent failure to adequately communicate with me regarding resits that meant I missed them), I don't really have anything against the uni. I wouldn't say I enjoyed my time there, but more on the content/indifferent side of how I view my four years there (almost five if you count how long it's taken them to decide what award for my postgrad studies I'm getting; I'm STILL enrolled as a student because of that).

Sorry you had thar experience, that sucks
They should realise that ASD is a lifelong condition and you will always have it and have at least a meeting about what support you need at that time

Kent
Durham
Exeter
Birmingham
Lancaster
York
Glasgow
Bath
Edinburgh
Warwick
Royal Holloway
St Andrews

Hi there!
I am a third year student at Kent and I know our university offers plenty of support for autistic students.
The university will offer support right from the beginning of university by providing inductions and orientation programmes on your course and university life. You will have to apply and once that is done you will be paired with a Disability Adviser to help you register for support.
There are a range of services that come with getting this support which you find and read here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/guides/autism-support

The university also runs Social Groups and we have a department called Student Support and Well-being that runs offers more services such as Counselling, Emergency Support, Disability Support etc, and they run regular events such as coffee mornings, walking which can help boost mental health during university. Here is the link: https://www.kent.ac.uk/student-support#event-listing-with-date

So, there is a wide range of support offered at Kent and I hope this helps :smile:

Tracy
UKC Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending