The Student Room Group

Starting revision on monday 17th

I do maths physics and economics.
So I'm going to start doing exam papers on topic specific questions on monday 17th. And I should be done on all the topics seperately for both papers for physics and economics, 2 weeks before the actual first A level exam. And I'll also do 1 maths paper a day until the day of the first maths exam. Then the actual 2 weeks leading up to the first a level exam I try to remember all the content for physics and economics and do actual exam papers is that enough? (first maths exam is until after the End of may/june 1 week holiday) I wanted to revise this holiday but only did about 4hours of revision for like 5 out of the 14 days. I wrote notes already for all my subjects, but I have not remembered the content still. I procracinated whole year in terms of practise. I'm planning on doing 8 Hours of revision everyday after school starting on monday 17th is that enough?
I need a grade A*AA for university offer.
I also do maths and physics and I can confidently say that you should just jump straight into doing past paper questions as soon as possible. I don't really know how much content you already know for physics especially, but I'd say maybe spend a day or two just going over it if you really need to and make notes on the derivations and key laws/ principles. Definitely go over paper 3 questions for physics because the practical questions may seem like common sense but they can really catch you out especially under pressure. Questions will help you understand and remember the content anyway.

As for maths, you really need to be well rested to actually perform well so I really wouldn't suggest doing 8 hours a day... unless of course you are still getting enough sleep (7 hours at least, and no you can't just survive on 5 hours... it will show in the long term which will probably be when your actual exams are). Prioritise the topics you may not understand as much - I really advise you make sure you are good at integration, differentiation, sequences and series, and logs because these can interlink with a lot of other topics), but obviously still do questions form other topics.
You definitely still have time to get the grades you need as long as you revise effectively... try the blurting method for physics and economics as this will help pinpoint the parts you don't know. Don't leave anything until the last 2 weeks, and don't just remember stuff, you need to try to understand it more than anything.
Original post by TechCrazyMan
I do maths physics and economics.
So I'm going to start doing exam papers on topic specific questions on monday 17th. And I should be done on all the topics seperately for both papers for physics and economics, 2 weeks before the actual first A level exam. And I'll also do 1 maths paper a day until the day of the first maths exam. Then the actual 2 weeks leading up to the first a level exam I try to remember all the content for physics and economics and do actual exam papers is that enough? (first maths exam is until after the End of may/june 1 week holiday) I wanted to revise this holiday but only did about 4hours of revision for like 5 out of the 14 days. I wrote notes already for all my subjects, but I have not remembered the content still. I procracinated whole year in terms of practise. I'm planning on doing 8 Hours of revision everyday after school starting on monday 17th is that enough?
I need a grade A*AA for university offer.

How on earth are you going to do 8 hours after school? And this is me like every single month, until all the plans go out the window and I procrastinate more. That being said, A*AA isn't a nightmare considering an A* in maths is quite feasible - what were your mock results like?
Original post by toxicgamage56
How on earth are you going to do 8 hours after school? And this is me like every single month, until all the plans go out the window and I procrastinate more. That being said, A*AA isn't a nightmare considering an A* in maths is quite feasible - what were your mock results like?

From 5PM-2AM, I have not revised a single thing all year just written notes so I don't have to later on.
Original post by c4ssiopeia_5
I also do maths and physics and I can confidently say that you should just jump straight into doing past paper questions as soon as possible. I don't really know how much content you already know for physics especially, but I'd say maybe spend a day or two just going over it if you really need to and make notes on the derivations and key laws/ principles. Definitely go over paper 3 questions for physics because the practical questions may seem like common sense but they can really catch you out especially under pressure. Questions will help you understand and remember the content anyway.

As for maths, you really need to be well rested to actually perform well so I really wouldn't suggest doing 8 hours a day... unless of course you are still getting enough sleep (7 hours at least, and no you can't just survive on 5 hours... it will show in the long term which will probably be when your actual exams are). Prioritise the topics you may not understand as much - I really advise you make sure you are good at integration, differentiation, sequences and series, and logs because these can interlink with a lot of other topics), but obviously still do questions form other topics.
You definitely still have time to get the grades you need as long as you revise effectively... try the blurting method for physics and economics as this will help pinpoint the parts you don't know. Don't leave anything until the last 2 weeks, and don't just remember stuff, you need to try to understand it more than anything.

My Maths exam is until after the 1 week holiday, so I can get the rest by sleeping properly during the holiday.
Honestly, you should consider a plan B - You need to be honest with yourself, you will never manage to maintain that type of intense revision + sleep is so important to memory retention and missing out on it will only be detrimental to any learning.

Try and get 2 hours of solid revision weekdays and at least 4 on the weekends.
Original post by Teapot_Tom
Honestly, you should consider a plan B - You need to be honest with yourself, you will never manage to maintain that type of intense revision + sleep is so important to memory retention and missing out on it will only be detrimental to any learning.

Try and get 2 hours of solid revision weekdays and at least 4 on the weekends.

Bro I ain't revised all year, im never getting an A*AA with 2 hours lol
Original post by TechCrazyMan
Bro I ain't revised all year, im never getting an A*AA with 2 hours lol

There lies your problem, the reality is you aren’t passing nor will you manage 8 hours of studying after school. Sorry to burst the bubble, but best you think of other options cause odds are you aren’t getting the grade for your conditional offer.
There lies your problem, the reality is you aren’t passing nor will you manage 8 hours of studying after school. Sorry to burst the bubble, but best you think of other options cause odds are you aren’t getting the grade for your conditional offer.

Strangely pessimistic, you don't even know what grades they're currently working at.
Strangely pessimistic, you don't even know what grades they're currently working at.

It's my observation based on the facts some random person on the internet posted, hard to call the "strangely".
It's my observation based on the facts some random person on the internet posted, hard to call the "strangely".

I mean ultimately nothing in OP's post tells us whether they are capable of achieving A*AA or not, so it's better to be optimistic than not. Sure, consider other options as a back-up, but there's no need to predict that OP won't meet their offer since it might demotivate them from even having a shot at those grades.
I mean ultimately nothing in OP's post tells us whether they are capable of achieving A*AA or not, so it's better to be optimistic than not. Sure, consider other options as a back-up, but there's no need to predict that OP won't meet their offer since it might demotivate them from even having a shot at those grades.

True, I can only base my assumption on they said - 1. Not revising at all throughout the year 2. Setting crazy unrealistic studying expectations 3. Asking about it on TSR when they should be studying right now and not waiting untill Monday!

I do hope the OP does achieve their condition, just doubt it. I would rather give some cold hard truth than blind optimism. But hey I’m just a random on the internet. I've doubted people before and got proved so wrong, hopefully this is another case of it.
True, I can only base my assumption on they said - 1. Not revising at all throughout the year 2. Setting crazy unrealistic studying expectations 3. Asking about it on TSR when they should be studying right now and not waiting untill Monday!

I do hope the OP does achieve their condition, just doubt it. I would rather give some cold hard truth than blind optimism. But hey I’m just a random on the internet. I've doubted people before and got proved so wrong, hopefully this is another case of it.

Yeah it does seem like they'd do poorly, but I think having got the offer means they must have the potential for it. Regardless, I also hope OP meets their offer.
i can do 8 hours a day when **** hits the fan, trust me guys.

maybe I should clarify revision I have answered questions as practise before, but not the actual intense reivision done consistantly. I have all the notes written down on all my subjects. I just need to practise using past papers. Which I'm starting on monday.
Good luck w ur revision! Agreeing with everyone else on here practice questions and papers are Def the way to go! Especially for those subjects

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending