The Student Room Group

Dropping an A-Level

I currently do a Btec and 2 A-Levels. Is it possible to drop an A-Level after already accepting accepting my firm choice for uni?
My school want me to drop an A-Level because I’m failing but this limits my uni choices to just 1 (that i DO NOT want to go to). I want the opportunity to at least TRY to get into another uni.
Reply 1
What general entry requirements exist for your firm choice?

Are you saying that your firm choice is not the univeristy that you'd like to attend?
Reply 2
my firm choice is Keele, where i need to obtain CCC or possible CC Distinction or distinction* they didn’t specify. This is a reduced offer since i did core maths and achieved an A. i checked on their website and it seems they don’t don’t accept ucas points just grades so i would need to do 2 alevels and the btec
my insurance choice the school made me put down a low entry req one but i do not want to go there. they only require 96 pts
Original post by LaCamorra
What general entry requirements exist for your firm choice?

Are you saying that your firm choice is not the univeristy that you'd like to attend?
Reply 3
And do you actually hold an offer from Keele?


Original post by __jjamx
my firm choice is Keele, where i need to obtain CCC or possible CC Distinction or distinction* they didn’t specify. This is a reduced offer since i did core maths and achieved an A. i checked on their website and it seems they don’t don’t accept ucas points just grades so i would need to do 2 alevels and the btec
my insurance choice the school made me put down a low entry req one but i do not want to go there. they only require 96 pts
Reply 4
Original post by LaCamorra
And do you actually hold an offer from Keele?

Yes I received 5 offers and I accepted Keele and put it as my firm choice, and another uni as my insurance choice. I don’t want to go to my insurance choice but by dropping an A-Level I am limited to that university. I put it as my insurance because my school advised me to. Now that I’m failing, they want me to just go there and not have the chance to try to improve my grades for the summer (which i feel i can do since the last mock i didn’t take seriously)
Reply 5
Right. I would strongly recommend that you contact Keele's admissions department and echo your concern. As it stands, based on what you've told me, dropping your A-level would mean that you are jeopardising your offer - conditional on CCC or CC D or D*.

I would take what your school is advising as a pinch of salt. Statistics are useless without context, the context for you being that you didn't sufficiently prep for your mock. You know yourself better than your college.

In any case, give Keele a call today.

I should add that, were your offer unconditional, the question as to dropping your A-level would've likely been more straightforward.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by __jjamx
I currently do a Btec and 2 A-Levels. Is it possible to drop an A-Level after already accepting accepting my firm choice for uni?
My school want me to drop an A-Level because I’m failing but this limits my uni choices to just 1 (that i DO NOT want to go to). I want the opportunity to at least TRY to get into another uni.


You have made a contract with the university to sit these exams and if you dont they would be entitled to withdraw any offer made. Before falling into your schools dubious advice contact the university for advice.

Personally I wouldnt drop a subject at this late stage. Universities that make offers in your range often accept missed grades so if you get a grade D or E they might still accept you. It is highly likely they wont accept you with 1 A level and a BTEC unless the BTEC is less 2 or more A levels.

I am very concerned about the advice given by many schools. It is often about protecting the schools reputation rather than the students future. If you sit and fail it looks bad on the school so the school doesnt want you to sit it. For your needs you must sit it and work as hard as you can to achieve a grade to give you a chance of getting in. For the school to tell you to withdraw at this late stage is extremely naughty.
Reply 7
Original post by LaCamorra
Right. I would strongly recommend that you contact Keele's admissions department and echo your concern. As it stands, based on what you've told me, dropping your A-level would mean that you are jeopardising your offer - conditional on CCC or CC D or D*.

I would take what your school is advising as a pinch of salt. Statistics are useless without context, the context for you being that you didn't sufficiently prep for your mock. You know yourself better than your college.

In any case, give Keele a call today.

I should add that, were your offer unconditional, the question as to dropping your A-level would've likely been more straightforward.

Thank you so much for your help. What would happen after I contact them? How would they be able to help me?
Reply 8
Do your best up until exams, and be your best during those exams. I also think that @swanseajack1 makes a salient point in their second paragraph.

Keele themselves will be able to tell you whether they'd accommodate your action to drop the A level. Give them the context you've given us. I can't speak for what they'd tell you, but you'll know where you stand after having a chat. Take what they say, as your firm choice and university you want to attend, more significantly than your college.

Quick Reply

Latest