The Student Room Group

Feel lost due to health issues, as though I am damaged.

Since developing chronic health issues and realising that I am at higher risk than others, my perception of myself has changed

Here lies the issue - I have always been one to tackle the foundation of problems first. For example I always exercises/ate healthily as my health was the most important thing. I didn’t care much how I looked on the outside with clothing etc. My reason being that clothes, make up and hair can be changed in an instant - health cannot.

Since being diagnosed with more than one issue I find it difficult to keep going not because of symptoms but because of my beliefs with health. I just think that however I dress and look on the outside, I will still be damaged. You can’t polish a turd. I am being blunt when saying this, but honest. My past enjoyment and feelings of wellness in life came from me being healthy. I used to reassure myself in times of stress and when external issues arose (if people tried to bully me) that no matter how bad things were at the end of the day I had my health. Now I cannot do this anymore.
I'm sorry to hear this. I can't offer professional advice, but I suggest therapy. Get in touch with a therapist to figure out your problems and devise a way to eliminate the negative perception of yourself.

I'm surprised no one replied to this thread. Anyway, I hope you're doing much better now.

Quick Reply

Latest