The Student Room Group

Bridge Between GCSE and A-Level Maths

I’m currently working towards my GCSE’s and hopefully if all goes well I’m going to take maths, further maths, economics and french at A-Level.
I am confident I will be able to do A-Level maths normally, but the way my school does Further is that we will do all of Maths in one year and Further in the next. I am nervous about that.
I’m worried about the jump and not being able to cope, so I want to use the holidays to prepare myself so I don’t end up dropping out like a lot of other people in my school do. I really want to be able to do further and I’m willing to put in the work.
I think I will get an 8 easily at GCSE and I’m currently on the border between the 8/9 boundaries.
Any suggestion on courses or anything like that to help me be more prepared come September?
Original post by j0611
I’m currently working towards my GCSE’s and hopefully if all goes well I’m going to take maths, further maths, economics and french at A-Level.
I am confident I will be able to do A-Level maths normally, but the way my school does Further is that we will do all of Maths in one year and Further in the next. I am nervous about that.
I’m worried about the jump and not being able to cope, so I want to use the holidays to prepare myself so I don’t end up dropping out like a lot of other people in my school do. I really want to be able to do further and I’m willing to put in the work.
I think I will get an 8 easily at GCSE and I’m currently on the border between the 8/9 boundaries.
Any suggestion on courses or anything like that to help me be more prepared come September?

You can start learning the first couple of chapters (briefly) before September since your teachers may just only quickly go through them since they link a lot with GCSE maths. TL Maths is really good at explaining topics. Also make sure you're good at physics mechanics since there's a whole paper on mechanics for maths.
The key thing is to just make sure you're on track from the beginning of the year and always go over topics again some time after learning them and you will be fine.
Original post by j0611

Any of these resources might help

https://www.pearson.com/uk/educators/schools/subject-area/mathematics/unrivalled-support/support-from-pearson/gcse-maths-transition-to-alevel.html
https://www.ocr.org.uk/blog/transition-from-gcse-to-alevel-maths/
https://sparxmaths.com/resources/transition-booklet-alevel

Quick Reply

Latest