The Student Room Group

My university teachers are so bad

Hello, I have finished my first year of uni now and I'm starting to get my coursework grades back.

I am a smart guy, not perfect but I know how to do well in my work.

I've tried really hard on my work this year but I'm getting confusing feedback. The written stuff is always super positive and full of praise, but then I get 60s? I know 60 isn't bad it's good for uni, but that is 40 marks knocked off. I'm not expecting 100s but according to the feedback I'm getting there's literally nothing to improve?

I have seen someone else post on here about the same problem, but they give her 40 so I probably sound stupid but it's still annoying losing 40 marks over apparently nothing.

Is this actually normal and so should I just leave it? I guess first year doesn't really matter.
Reply 1
You haven't 'lost' 40 marks - you start with zero and build them up, not the other way around. A minor point but an important one. It's not like school, next to nobody ever gets a 100. I've had two in my life and that was on a professional course where the available grades were set at six points: 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100.

You're right re the feedback though and I understand the frustration. The feedback will be substandard whereas the mark will likely be about right. This is often down to time constraints and being unable to get into nitty gritty in terms of written responses: markers often just do not have the time and so tend to focus on positives. This is nice but often very unhelpful. Worth noting that in my experience, for every one student complaining that the feedback is too positive, there are four saying it's too negative - it can be hard to strike a balance.

With that said, I don't want to make excuses for what is ultimately a bit of poor practice. You can take the marked piece to an office hour and ask for practical direction on how to improve. Next to nobody does this but it is by far the most direct way to get the feedback you need. 60s are good first year results, whichever way you shake it.
Different universities and courses have different marking criteria but, in my field (English Literature), it is almost unheard of for an undergraduate student to get 100 on a piece of assessed written work. Indeed, in my experience, it is extremely rare to see an undergraduate essay achieve above 80/85. This is because, in order to achieve a mark in the upper 80s or 90s, you'd need to be working at a level above undergraduate.

Indeed, the current criteria I mark to states that work that is 85 or above should not only be doing all the things that excellent 'first-class' work does in terms of critical thinking, analysis, textual engagement, argument, use of primary and secondary materials, presentation, and communication but should be evident of 'work that could not be bettered at UG level'. Assuming your university uses a similar marking criteria to Keele, getting into the 60s (especially in your first year) is evident of good work that is almost certainly doing a lot of things very well.

That said, I understand that your frustration around feedback. As @gjd800 has said, getting the balance of feedback correct is very difficult for a tutor. Not only are tutors often marking large numbers of scripts to tight deadlines but, for every student that really wants detailed feedback on every single way they can improve their work, there's another that will get overwhelmed and disengaged if they're given too much too work on at once.

As a marker myself, the advice I've been given is to concentrate on highlighting 2 or 3 things the student is doing well and then 2 or 3 targeted things that the student can do to improve their work for next time. However, I do always make clear that, if the student wishes to discuss their feedback in more detail, they're welcome to drop me an email or to come and see me during my office hours. So I would second that advice about going along to an office hour - or emailing your tutor - to ask for further feedback or to request clarity on any feedback that you're unsure about.

It's also worth having a look at the assessment criteria for your course. Most universities publish these online. They're usually pretty generic but they give you an idea of how you are being assessed and the elements within your written work that your markers are looking for. Take a look at the change in language between a 60 and a 70 or above. What extra things is the assessment criteria asking of you? Again, if you're unsure of where to look for this or exactly what you're being asked to do, speak with a module or personal tutor.

Hope that helps and try not to be too disheartened. It sounds like you're actively engaged with getting the most out of your course (I wish all students were!) so don't be afraid to reach out and ask your tutors for further feedback and areas where you could improve if you don't feel the feedback you've been provided with makes that clear.

Amy Louise
PhD English Literature & Student Ambassador, Keele University
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I have finished my first year of uni now and I'm starting to get my coursework grades back.

I am a smart guy, not perfect but I know how to do well in my work.

I've tried really hard on my work this year but I'm getting confusing feedback. The written stuff is always super positive and full of praise, but then I get 60s? I know 60 isn't bad it's good for uni, but that is 40 marks knocked off. I'm not expecting 100s but according to the feedback I'm getting there's literally nothing to improve?

I have seen someone else post on here about the same problem, but they give her 40 so I probably sound stupid but it's still annoying losing 40 marks over apparently nothing.

Is this actually normal and so should I just leave it? I guess first year doesn't really matter.

Hi,
A 60 grade is equivalent to a 2:1 therefore you may want to look at the marking scheme to see what you need to do to improve your grade.
It can be frustrating not getting the grade's you have wanted but this is where communication with your tutor's come in as they are looking for specific things in your essays and they can pinpoint what you need to do to improve especially if you feel they were unclear in the initial feedback. You can also try to compare your work with model assessments to see how they differ, making sure to note what they have done and you may have not.
achieving in your 60s is good for first year so you don't have to worry too much as getting 1st would mean that it is a nearer to perfect assignment and they give out these grades more rarely. Next year they may become more specific with feedback especially if it contributes towards your final grade and you can usually rely on office hours if not.
Hope this helps!
-Malek
University of Kent Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending