The Student Room Group

Student accommodation

How do I know who I am sharing a flat with? I have been given the room info but I’d love to know the people I am going to be living with for my first year. Does the accommodation make group chats where you can contact each other?
In my experience I didn't find out until we all turned up, and since most people moved in on the same day, we just stood in the corridor introducing everyone and set a group chat up then. We had a general Facebook group for the accommodation, not that it was active, but I don't think they actively set up group chats, that was just down to the individuals when we got there.

Good luck with your first year! :smile:
Original post by sh_1205
How do I know who I am sharing a flat with? I have been given the room info but I’d love to know the people I am going to be living with for my first year. Does the accommodation make group chats where you can contact each other?

Hey there @sh_1205 !
Type in on Facebook your uni name followed by freshers and there should be some groups set up for people to meet each other. If you go to the about section they usually have further groups for the separate accommodations where people post their flat and room numbers to find their flat. This also helps with meeting other people in your accommodation and meeting your neighbours. They're usually set up by event reps which is the only annoying thing but just use them to meet the people and then make your own groups from that. In my experience, there was a couple of people I didn't meet before I moved in because they didn't know the Facebook groups existed but it was easy for them to settle in despite this. The accommodation itself usually isn't allowed to give out anyone else's contact details so they kind of leave it up to you.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by sh_1205

Hello @sh_1205

I hope you're well. I have lived in student accommodation for nearly 3 years now and I have never known who I am going to be sharing with! I doubt the accommodation will make group chats for yourselves, however if you feel comfortable I would suggest posting in a forum what accommodation you're going to be staying at (don't post the specific details such as, your block or room number, for your safety & security), just the general accommodation name and see if anyone responds and suggest making a group chat, if you are comfortable with that?

I hope you find them!
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by sh_1205

Hi there,
Back when I was at uni, my third year private accommodation did create a Facebook group where we could get to know one another before moving in. However, this isn't standard. If you feel comfortable, I'd recommend posting in forums or on university Facebook groups but avoid publicly posting all of your details for privacy reasons. Whilst it's great to know who your flatmates are, there's also fun in the element of surprise when you turn up and meet them for the first time. Plus, some of my best friends in my third year private accommodation turned out not to be my flatmates but actually others in neighbouring flats.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Original post by sh_1205

Hello,

Greetings! Hope you are doing well.

It's understandable to want to know who you'll be sharing a flat with before you move in. In many cases, university accommodations will create group chats or Facebook groups for students who will be living in the same flat or apartment. You can ask your accommodation office if they have such a group or if they can connect you with your flatmates.

If your accommodation does not create a group chat or Facebook group, you can try reaching out to your flatmates directly. Your accommodation office should be able to provide you with their contact information. Alternatively, you can also search for them on social media platforms like Facebook or Instagram.

It's important to remember that everyone will be in the same boat as you and may be feeling a bit nervous or uncertain about moving in with new people. Initiating contact with your flatmates before moving in can be a great way to break the ice and start building a relationship.

When reaching out to your flatmates, it's a good idea to introduce yourself and ask them a few questions about themselves. You can also suggest setting up a group chat or meeting up before moving in to get to know each other better.

Remember to keep an open mind and be respectful of everyone's differences and preferences. Living with new people can be a great opportunity to make new friends and broaden your social circle, so try to approach it with a positive attitude.

I hope this helps.

Warm regards,
Megha Sharma
Student Ambassador
MSc Business Analytics
Coventry University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending