The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Visiting

If I come to the university on a none open day (a Saturday) will I be allowed to enter the union, heartspace and diamond buildings for a look? I am an offer holder but want to visit with my bf and parents on a none open day.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,

Firstly congratulations on your offer!

Yes, you could come to campus on a Saturday to explore campus and get a feel for the university. However, you wouldn't be able to enter some of the buildings or specific parts of buildings because they require swipe access.

We do offer weekly campus tours that run on a Wednesday from 1pm and our comprised of a guided tour of campus and then an optional accommodation, city or sports tour. You can find out more information here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/visit/campus-tours/book-your-campus-tour.

Alternatively, I'd recommend contacting us, and we will be able to discuss further: +44 114 222 8030.

If you have any questions or I can help in any other way, just let me know :smile:

Meg
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
You can get into the SU with no issues. You can go into the downstairs cafe area of the Diamond too, but obviously not the labs, and the first floor upwards is swipecard access only. I'm not sure if the Heartspace is open on Saturdays or not - if it is, again it would only be the downstairs cafe area.

If you want to visit Sheffield, you could maybe use the day to explore more of the city instead. Offer holder days or campus tours would be better for seeing inside uni buildings.
While the University of Sheffield welcomes visitors, it is recommended that you attend one of the official open days to ensure that you get the most out of your visit. However, if you are unable to attend an open day, you may still visit the campus on a non-open day.

The Diamond Building, the Students' Union and the Heart Space are usually open to the public during normal operating hours. However, it is important to note that some areas of the buildings may be closed or have restricted access on weekends or outside of regular operating hours.

As an offer holder, you are entitled to visit the university, and you may be able to arrange a personal tour with the admissions office or the academic department you have applied to. This would allow you and your family to have a more personalized tour of the campus, and to ask questions about the specific course you are interested in.

Overall, while you may not be able to see everything you would like to see on a non-open day, it is still possible to get a good sense of the university and its facilities. I hope this helps, and that you have a great visit to Sheffield! Buona fortuna!
Reply 4
Thanks everyone that's very useful information :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending