The Student Room Group

New to University

I'm new to university (starting in 2023) I'm super nervous about everything after working for five years with adults and going back into education its quite worrying. I am a worrier anyway but was just asking for general advice and support.
is there anything in particular I need to know about starting university?
is there anything other than student finance that I need to apply for?
should I be worried about not finding my way around the university?
when will I get my timetable?
I am panicked!
Thank you in advance!
You will be surprised by how immature the students are. You have been working in a responsible position for 5 years so don't be surprised by the drunken antics of some of the students.

When you get to uni you need to pay for your course before you can register for the course - go to the finance dept. Once you register for the course you will be given a timetable of what modules will run when - you may need to make some decisions on optional courses. If you are not given the timetable when you register for the course then you will get it during the induction in week 0.

You will need a laptop for notetaking - most lecturers post their PowerPoint slides a day or two before the lecture so you can download the slides and then write on them as the lecturer goes through them. If you have taken a social science subject e.g. History/ English/ Law. Then don't be surprised by the amount of free time you have. Typically, in a week you will have 12-15 hours of lectures (large room with lots of students listening to the lecturer) and tutorials (small groups of 15-20 where the lecture material is explored in more informal discussions). For the remaining time, you are meant to self-manage and do the background reading. You will cover 120 units a year - broken down into 10, 15, 20 or 30 credits. For every 10 credits, you are expected to do 100 hours of work - 25 hours of lectures/tutorials and 75 hours of self-managed study.

In week 0 be sure to join at least two societies - you choose which ones you prefer e.g. sports or social club. This will give you a network of people outside of your course.
Original post by newstuden23
I'm new to university (starting in 2023) I'm super nervous about everything after working for five years with adults and going back into education its quite worrying. I am a worrier anyway but was just asking for general advice and support.
is there anything in particular I need to know about starting university?
is there anything other than student finance that I need to apply for?
should I be worried about not finding my way around the university?
when will I get my timetable?
I am panicked!
Thank you in advance!

Hey there @newstuden23 !
Please try not to worry, everyone there is experiencing something new as well so you're all in the same boat. I'd say its important to do as much preparation as you can before you go. For example, have you sorted out where you're going to live? If you're commuting, have you sorted travel and back-up arrangements? Have you made a list of things you need to buy before you go? It's good you've applied for your finance as it's a good thing to get done early. Something I was never told is that you have to re-apply for student finance every year and they don't really remind you that you have to do it. You just kind of have to do it yourself. I would also check that you have all your meningitis vaccines as it's really common in university students and is a really good thing to get before you come. I would also think about switching your doctors if you're living in the city and sorting out what pharmacy you'd get your prescriptions from.

You shouldn't be worried about not finding your way round university as there will be people there to help you throughout the first month whilst you settled in. You can also ask other students and I'm sure they'd be happy to help you. In first year, I believe I got my timetable only a week before I started, it was quite late but I still found my way around. Please try not to panic, it's just the fear of the unknown right now and I'm sure you'll settle in and love everything about university.

Hope this helped, please let me know if you have any more questions.
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending