The Student Room Group

Missing the last day of semester, would this be a problem?

Greetings good people, I will be starting at Uni in September and I am so excited and looking forward to it. There's one thing slightlybothering me though: my parents have booked a family holiday abroad for December, and we are due to fly out on 15 December, which happens to be the last day of semester according to my Uni's website. I'm just a bit concerned that I could get into trouble for leaving for my vacation before the end of semester.

I really would appreciate insights into how to address this matter please. Thanking you in advance.
Reply 1
Not usually an issue, really.
Unless you've got an exam or some other test scheduled, it's unlikely to be any bother at all.
Reply 3
Unless you have a clinical or industry placement on that day, or your course requires 100% lecture attendance, it isn't an issue.
Original post by Admit-One
Unless you've got an exam or some other test scheduled, it's unlikely to be any bother at all.

Admit-One, thank you for your insight. I was just wondering if it is customary for Uni's to have exams on the last day of semester? Thank you once again.
Original post by 22sgw
Unless you have a clinical or industry placement on that day, or your course requires 100% lecture attendance, it isn't an issue.

Thank you, 22sgw. I didn't realise that some courses require 100% attendance. I'd look into that.
Original post by gjd800
Not usually an issue, really.

Thank you, gjd800
Original post by Anonymous
Admit-One, thank you for your insight. I was just wondering if it is customary for Uni's to have exams on the last day of semester? Thank you once again.

I only deal with student admissions so can't answer this with much authority - gjd800 might be better placed.

That said, I think it very, very unlikely to have an exam in semester one, especially so close to the Christmas break. There is a small possibility of some internal test, but it's not the end of the world if you can't make it. Beyond meeting any attendance % requirements it's really up to you to manage your own time. I'm sure you'll be surprised at how poorly attended certain lectures are over time :smile:
Hey,

Starting University is such an exciting time congratulations on your new adventure.
I missed the last day last year due to a family holiday and it was not an issue. I would check your University website to see if you can find any information on attendance

Rebecca York St John University Student Ambassador :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

It depends on the uni. One of my friends has lots of exams in December, right before the Christmas break. My autumn semester exams are all in January instead. You might be able to find your university's standard exam dates online.
Original post by Admit-One
I only deal with student admissions so can't answer this with much authority - gjd800 might be better placed.

That said, I think it very, very unlikely to have an exam in semester one, especially so close to the Christmas break. There is a small possibility of some internal test, but it's not the end of the world if you can't make it. Beyond meeting any attendance % requirements it's really up to you to manage your own time. I'm sure you'll be surprised at how poorly attended certain lectures are over time :smile:

Thank you once again for your insights. I now have a better understanding of how it works. :smile:
Original post by Rebecca YSJ
Hey,

Starting University is such an exciting time congratulations on your new adventure.
I missed the last day last year due to a family holiday and it was not an issue. I would check your University website to see if you can find any information on attendance

Rebecca York St John University Student Ambassador :smile:

Hallo Rebecca, and thank you so much for your kind words.
It's nice to find someone who was actually previously in my situation. I will take your advice and check my Uni's attendance policy.
Thank you once again. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending