The Student Room Group

The first rough patch.

So me and my boyfriend have been together for Almost a year now. And we have come up to the first rough patch. We both understand that this is the first real rough patch and we want to work through it. But god its hard.

Its a long distance relationship. I'm in the Uk and he lives in the US. Hes working extra hard to meet the deadline of helping me move to the US by the end of the year. And I am struggling to find a healthy balance between my work life and home life, whilst trying to keep my mental health in check. Meaning that we have put the loving intimate parts of out relationship on the back burner.

Just to confirm, as said before we are both well aware of this rough patch and understand that this is affecting our relationship. Fights are more common and we take our issues and stresses in life out on eachother. But we want to work through this to make our relationship stronger.

For people in long committed relationships. I have to ask. Does it get easier working through rough patches in a relationship?
I have been in a long distance relationship, as i live in the us, and my man lived in the neverlands, i can't always promise that these problems will stop, but i can guarentee that the longer you talk it over and the more you understand each other, the easier it gets
Reply 2
Original post by Blissfullyx
Fights are more common and we take our issues and stresses in life out on eachother.

For people in long committed relationships. I have to ask. Does it get easier working through rough patches in a relationship?

It gets easier only if you can properly communicate with each other and focus on the problem, how you each want to address it and reaching a compatible solution.

From what you've said, it's a massive red flag that you aren't in a discussion, you are in a fight, and don't seem to be talking about what really matters.

Arrange time for phone calls where you agree to talk about what the problems are. Even write down your points if it helps you keep the discussion on track and not veering off into petty squabbles and accusations. Nothing wrong with venting, but don't make it the fault of the other person; you are wanting a bit of support, not to throw out unnecessary blame.
Reply 3
Original post by Blissfullyx
So me and my boyfriend have been together for Almost a year now. And we have come up to the first rough patch. We both understand that this is the first real rough patch and we want to work through it. But god its hard.

Its a long distance relationship. I'm in the Uk and he lives in the US. Hes working extra hard to meet the deadline of helping me move to the US by the end of the year. And I am struggling to find a healthy balance between my work life and home life, whilst trying to keep my mental health in check. Meaning that we have put the loving intimate parts of out relationship on the back burner.

Just to confirm, as said before we are both well aware of this rough patch and understand that this is affecting our relationship. Fights are more common and we take our issues and stresses in life out on eachother. But we want to work through this to make our relationship stronger.

I think your relationship is in big trouble here from what you describe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending