The Student Room Group

Burnout and Mental Health

I live in Hong Kong and in my school, we don't do the IGCSEs, but do the HKDSE curriculum, then start the AS Level curriculum in the middle of Grade 10. Ever since I started the AS Level curriculum, I have been feeling extremely burnt out, with no motivation to study. I find other things to do in place of studying like joining more extra curricular activities. I know this is bad, but my mental health is deteriorating alongside my grades, and I don't trust anyone to tell this to. I used to be the top student in my year group, and my family wishes for me to get into a good university, but I don't think I will be able to if this issue continues. What do I do, how can I get my grades back up again D:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
You need to rest mate.

You can't push through burnout. You need to eat, rest, do hobbies that don't have an achievement at the end of it. Do something for yourself! It may feel like grades are the most important thing in the world right now but they aren't, your well being is. You mentioned that you can't trust anyone with how you're feeling. Why is that?
Reply 2
Original post by mmpi
You need to rest mate.

You can't push through burnout. You need to eat, rest, do hobbies that don't have an achievement at the end of it. Do something for yourself! It may feel like grades are the most important thing in the world right now but they aren't, your well being is. You mentioned that you can't trust anyone with how you're feeling. Why is that?

That is because if I tell any of my friends, they will spread it to more people. They are also dealing with their own stuff so I don't want to burden them. I also do not think they care enough.
I cannot tell my parents about this because they will not understand how I am feeling, and just think that I am lazy now.
I cannot talk to my school counsellor because if I talk to her, she will keep making me meet her, and might even tell my parents.

Quick Reply

Latest