The Student Room Group

Just want to walk away

For a variety of reasons that I won't go into here my mental health and motivation have taken a nosedive this past year, and I've barely managed to scrape together anything to submit for two of the three modules due before the end of this month. For the third module, I have literally nothing to submit... I just couldn't summon any motivation to even attempt it. I'm meant to be presenting my portfolio for it at some point this week, but there's no way I'll be showing my face.

I know I won't qualify for Level 6, so that's not the issue. I'm done with uni and I'm not coming back... I'm just dreading that there's going to be some kind of fallout from it. Letters, phone calls, meetings, demands to resit, and worst of all the possibility of having to repay the grant that I'm dependent on until I can find a job.

And I know that if I did explain to them the reasons for my failure they'd want to send me to see some kind of student councillor, chaplain or some other support staff to talk about it, and I just don't want any of that. All I want is to quietly slip away and put university behind me, chalk it up as a bad decision and move on.

I'm just worried that they aren't going to let me get away that easily.
Reply 1
Hi. I think you made a good decision to walk out of University considering your case. I'm not in University however I don't believe they can force you into any meetings, phone calls etc. Or to see any mental health professionals, and if you do not want to, simply firmly refuse. As for the grant/loan I'm afraid I can't advise there.
Reply 2
I would go and get some advice from the SU on how to exit cleanly without any financial repercussions to yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by Amb/conf
Hi. I think you made a good decision to walk out of University considering your case. I'm not in University however I don't believe they can force you into any meetings, phone calls etc. Or to see any mental health professionals, and if you do not want to, simply firmly refuse. As for the grant/loan I'm afraid I can't advise there.

Yeah, I know they can't actually force me to do anything, basically I just don't want to have to explain myself to anyone, but people and organisations have a tendency to not get that.
Reply 4
Original post by telebluesman
Yeah, I know they can't actually force me to do anything, basically I just don't want to have to explain myself to anyone, but people and organisations have a tendency to not get that.

In most cases, they are just trying to make sure that you are making the right decision for you. As you say, you don't want to have to pay anything back, so even on those grounds, it's worth speaking to someone. If you say up front that you just what to check that out, they will respect that. You can withdraw formally from the university with no explanation but that decision will be absolutely final and if you change your mind you'd have to reapply from scratch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending