The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Can you sit in on lectures for modules you aren’t taking at Durham University?

Hi everyone :smile: I’ve been made an offer for English Literature at Durham, and when I was at the open day last year I remember being told that you could sit in on lectures for modules or subjects you hadn’t signed up for/were outside your department. Is this true? A lot of the modules look really interesting but I know you can only take a certain number so I thought it would be cool if it was possible to still learn a bit about these without officially studying them. (If you had time of course.) Specifically is it possible to sit in on lectures for modules in the Classics department if you’re not taking a Classics degree? (Elsewhere I applied for joint English and Classics and I was wondering if it would be possible to continue learning about Classics if I went to Durham.) Thanks :smile:
Doubt it, all those seats would be calculated for those on the courses that require them, no?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
Doubt it, all those seats would be calculated for those on the courses that require them, no?

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks!
This is funny; you're in the exact opposite situation to me - I'm studying Classics, but want to sit in on English lectures and not sure if it's possible where I'm going either! Fingers crossed for both of us...
Reply 4
Original post by mandyelicup
This is funny; you're in the exact opposite situation to me - I'm studying Classics, but want to sit in on English lectures and not sure if it's possible where I'm going either! Fingers crossed for both of us...

Haha what a coincidence! Hopefully it works out for us :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by random_matt

My lectures are never full as many people do not turn up. Not saying you can sit in on lectures for definite but I do know of people who have gone to lectures with their friends.
I do Econ and lectures all have plenty of free seats so you should be able to do so
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone :smile: I’ve been made an offer for English Literature at Durham, and when I was at the open day last year I remember being told that you could sit in on lectures for modules or subjects you hadn’t signed up for/were outside your department. Is this true? A lot of the modules look really interesting but I know you can only take a certain number so I thought it would be cool if it was possible to still learn a bit about these without officially studying them. (If you had time of course.) Specifically is it possible to sit in on lectures for modules in the Classics department if you’re not taking a Classics degree? (Elsewhere I applied for joint English and Classics and I was wondering if it would be possible to continue learning about Classics if I went to Durham.) Thanks :smile:

Hiya

That should be possible. Lecture halls are big enough to accommodate all (and even more) students enrolled on the modules and I've never seen a lecture where all students have showed up. So as long you have the timetable (which you'll need to ask from a friend who's studying the module you're interested in), you should be able to attend the lecture :smile:

-Himieka
Reply 8
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

That should be possible. Lecture halls are big enough to accommodate all (and even more) students enrolled on the modules and I've never seen a lecture where all students have showed up. So as long you have the timetable (which you'll need to ask from a friend who's studying the module you're interested in), you should be able to attend the lecture :smile:

-Himieka

Oh, that’s great. Thank you for your answer :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

-Himieka

I agree most lecture halls always have spare seats. Just give it a shot

Quick Reply

Latest