The Student Room Group

My term at the London Interdisciplinary School

I study at LIS, a new university with its campus located in Whitechapel, London, on their BASc Degree in Interdisciplinary Problems and Methods; this means taking a variety of disciplines to approach real-world problems from different perspectives, and a mix of method modules where we learn how to explore these problems or bring together our insights.

I often get asked what I study, so here is what I would say to describe my term two this year. I’m glad I am not saying this is what the “typical term” at LIS looks like, because LIS does things differently and each one varies not just in what is taught, but how and the additional things we do to explore these topics.

For second year students’, last term our main module covered the area of Urban Futures. This is what we call our ‘problems’ module, consisting of exploring the different problems under this area and the different aspects that contribute to them.

Over the 10 weeks we worked towards both group and individual assessments, in a range of media. We also took part in two design labs, where each group got to work with a real policy client. Here we spent the day researching, ideating, and presenting our ideas to help address their problem statement - relating to either the urban area, or more specific to the Olympic Park or Hackney - using the insights we have gained through the term.

Co-curricular activities, such as a cycle tour, were also organised to help us explore the Olympic Park (a key site for this module) in a different lights.

As second years we also took two or three of the ‘methods’ modules we had picked along side this, but again, these are different for everyone and only one other person in my cohort had the same combination of modules as me! I picked Natural Language processing, where we looked at APIs, sentiment analysis and topic modelling to name a few, and I also took Social Science Research Methods where we each explored a topic of interest related to Urban Landscapes through focus groups and walking interviews.

I hope this helps, but more information about the course content is explained on their website https://www.lis.ac.uk/undergraduate-degree/course-content/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending