The Student Room Group

university applications - entry requirements

Hello,

I hope you are doing well

I am writing this because I will be applying to universities from 2023-2024, and i want to ask you about entry requirements for Accounting and Finance at UOB. So, the entry requirements for A level is AAA, and my predicted grades are AAA and I am sure that I will get AAA at the end, or even higher. One of my A-level subjects is business, which links heavily to accounting. The other two are sociology and history.

However, I do not meet the entry requirements for GCSE - I got a 5 in gcse maths, not a 7, however i was very close to a grade 6, which is the grade needed if i use a pathway to apply. Actually, yr11 was a tough time for me, in terms of my personal life, as reflected in my maths grade - but i got good in my other subjects - one 9 and 4 7's.

I really want to come to UOB and do this course, so is there any chance for me to get in? I've done a lot of work experience - that links directly and indirectly with the accounting course. From year 10 till now (the end of yr12), i've worked for 5 weeks at a professional accounting firm - and I have certificates to prove this. On top of this, I've almost completed the DOFE award (I just have the expedition left), and I done volunteering work (helping my siblings with their homework every week), learnt a new skill (cooking), and went to the gym every week for 6 months as part of this award. Im planning to do even more work experience at an accounting firm, because it has hugely benefitted me since I've learnt quite a lot about the basics of accounting. Please let me know if there is any way that I can do Accounting and Finance at UOB, because it's one of my dream universities, and i'm just so confused on whether there is any point of even applying or not.
Original post by ronweasley127
Hello,

I am writing this because I will be applying to universities from 2023-2024, and i want to ask you about entry requirements for Accounting and Finance at UOB. So, the entry requirements for A level is AAA, and my predicted grades are AAA and I am sure that I will get AAA at the end, or even higher. One of my A-level subjects is business, which links heavily to accounting. The other two are sociology and history.

However, I do not meet the entry requirements for GCSE - I got a 5 in gcse maths, not a 7, however i was very close to a grade 6, which is the grade needed if i use a pathway to apply. Actually, yr11 was a tough time for me, in terms of my personal life, as reflected in my maths grade - but i got good in my other subjects - one 9 and 4 7's.

I really want to come to UOB and do this course, so is there any chance for me to get in? I've done a lot of work experience - that links directly and indirectly with the accounting course. From year 10 till now (the end of yr12), i've worked for 5 weeks at a professional accounting firm - and I have certificates to prove this. On top of this, I've almost completed the DOFE award (I just have the expedition left), and I done volunteering work (helping my siblings with their homework every week), learnt a new skill (cooking), and went to the gym every week for 6 months as part of this award. Im planning to do even more work experience at an accounting firm, because it has hugely benefitted me since I've learnt quite a lot about the basics of accounting. Please let me know if there is any way that I can do Accounting and Finance at UOB, because it's one of my dream universities, and i'm just so confused on whether there is any point of even applying or not.

Are you meant to be addressing this to a particular university? If so, which one? Belfast? Bradford? Birmingham? Bristol?
Hello,

If you dont meet a GCSE subject requirement it is normally an automatic rejection. You need to retake it,
Reply 3
Hello,

Send an email to the admins office of the uni. You might get automatically rejected so best to ask rather than needlessly wasting one of your 5 options.

Lots of higher tariff unis ask for a min grade 6 or 7 in maths for accounting/finance/economics courses, so you might need to resit if you are set those in afraid.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Are you meant to be addressing this to a particular university? If so, which one? Belfast? Bradford? Birmingham? Bristol?

omg so sorry for not making it clear - university of birmingham
Reply 5
(Original post by swanseajack1)If you dont meet a GCSE subject requirement it is normally an automatic rejection. You need to retake it,
ok thank you for replying
Original post by swanseajack1
If you dont meet a GCSE subject requirement it is normally an automatic rejection. You need to retake it,
Reply 6
Original post by lalexm
Send an email to the admins office of the uni. You might get automatically rejected so best to ask rather than needlessly wasting one of your 5 options.

Lots of higher tariff unis ask for a min grade 6 or 7 in maths for accounting/finance/economics courses, so you might need to resit if you are set those in afraid.

yeah you're right thank you for your reply - my parents are rly keen on me doing accounting and finance but ngl i'm having second thoughts because it does seem a bit boring ngl, i might talk to them and consider other courses :smile:
Reply 7
yeah you're right thank you for your reply - my parents are rly keen on me doing accounting and finance but ngl i'm having second thoughts because it does seem a bit boring ngl, i might talk to them and consider other courses :smile:

You parents clearly have no idea that the vast majority of graduates end up doing jobs that have no relation to their degree course. I know a partner at an accountancy firm, and he said that some of the best accountants he’s recruited over the years had English degrees.
Reply 8
Original post by lalexm
You parents clearly have no idea that the vast majority of graduates end up doing jobs that have no relation to their degree course. I know a partner at an accountancy firm, and he said that some of the best accountants he’s recruited over the years had English degrees.

i actually had no idea about that too ahaha tysm for the information :smile:
how did bradford come up before bath in this list :eek:
Original post by ageshallnot

Quick Reply

Latest