The Student Room Group

Hate uni what can I do?

I skipped second year of college and went straight to uni. I thought it was the only option cuz I wanted to be able to move this upcoming September. But I hate it so so so so so much. No one in the class bothers with me at all it's a class of 30 cuz it's a uni center. I've tried to speak to them but they don't care or bother with me at all. There's no clubs or sorprities or anything. I HATE IT SO MUCH. I have no A level qualifications or BTECS or anything. My parents won't let me do anything about it either they expect me to stick it out. Is there anyway to transfer uni without any ucas points after the year has already started or something? I can't do anything till after the next year starts, what can I do? I'm so lonely and sick of this stupid course. I thought it would be okay that people I knew beforehand would still bother with me but they don't everyone nearly from my college class stopped speaking to me, minus 1 person but even she never wants to call or hang out anymore and bearly texts.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I skipped second year of college and went straight to uni. I thought it was the only option cuz I wanted to be able to move this upcoming September. But I hate it so so so so so much. No one in the class bothers with me at all it's a class of 30 cuz it's a uni center. I've tried to speak to them but they don't care or bother with me at all. There's no clubs or sorprities or anything. I HATE IT SO MUCH. I have no A level qualifications or BTECS or anything. My parents won't let me do anything about it either they expect me to stick it out. Is there anyway to transfer uni without any ucas points after the year has already started or something? I can't do anything till after the next year starts, what can I do? I'm so lonely and sick of this stupid course. I thought it would be okay that people I knew beforehand would still bother with me but they don't everyone nearly from my college class stopped speaking to me, minus 1 person but even she never wants to call or hang out anymore and bearly texts.

Have you considered doing an apprenticeship? Maybe working whilst learning on the job earning a wage/salary with working and meeting new people may that be appealing to you?
Reply 2
University Centres usually aren't really 'university', they are FE colleges accredited by other places, usually offering a range of courses from HNC to Foundation degrees (or sometimes honours degrees if accredited by an actual 'university').

For this reason 'transfers' are often more difficult than usual, for precisely the reasons you mention - no UCAS points etc.

What is the course, and what were the entry reqs? It's hard to advise without knowing these details because f you don't have A Levels etc you're probably going to have to do an access course or equivalent before going to another University.
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
University Centres usually aren't really 'university', they are FE colleges accredited by other places, usually offering a range of courses from HNC to Foundation degrees (or sometimes honours degrees if accredited by an actual 'university').

For this reason 'transfers' are often more difficult than usual, for precisely the reasons you mention - no UCAS points etc.

What is the course, and what were the entry reqs? It's hard to advise without knowing these details because f you don't have A Levels etc you're probably going to have to do an access course or equivalent before going to another University.

It's a Games design course the entery reqs are 64 UCAS points, I did get like a certificate for year 1 of the college course but they were like u should skip and do HE no point doing second year.
Reply 4
It's a Games design course the entery reqs are 64 UCAS points, I did get like a certificate for year 1 of the college course but they were like u should skip and do HE no point doing second year.

What would you rather do if the course is no longer what you're into? Or is the course ok, just the place that you're studying it? Where would you ideally like to be? Do you have some sort of portfolio which could mitigate the UCAS points thing for other creative degrees?

There are different UCs around the country offering similar courses - Leeds, St Helens, Liverpool Hugh Baird, Liverpool Community College, Bolton, South Essex College are just the ones I know do (or did, anyway) similar. It might be worth having a chat to someone from one of their courses to see what options could be.

There are options open to you but it can be overwhelming plotting the route, especially when you're unhappy.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
What would you rather do if the course is no longer what you're into? Or is the course ok, just the place that you're studying it? Where would you ideally like to be? Do you have some sort of portfolio which could mitigate the UCAS points thing for other creative degrees?

There are different UCs around the country offering similar courses - Leeds, St Helens, Liverpool Hugh Baird, Liverpool Community College, Bolton, South Essex College are just the ones I know do (or did, anyway) similar. It might be worth having a chat to someone from one of their courses to see what options could be.

There are options open to you but it can be overwhelming plotting the route, especially when you're unhappy.

It's not the course at least I don't think so. Hard to tell when not really enjoying anything lol. It's the uni for definite tho. It'd need to be somewhere near Newcastle so I could travel. Are any of those options like available at the start if an academic year, cuz I can't do anything till September

Hey!

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way.

I would recommend getting in contact with your personal tutor or the student support team and see if they can advise you on what is possible in this situation and who to maybe contact. As they may know of the potential next steps which would then allow you to research other uni's of interest.

Good luck!
Hopefully that will somewhat help.

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Reply 7
It's not the course at least I don't think so. Hard to tell when not really enjoying anything lol. It's the uni for definite tho. It'd need to be somewhere near Newcastle so I could travel. Are any of those options like available at the start if an academic year, cuz I can't do anything till September

It's possible but you'd need to get your ducks in a row as early as possible. Look for some alternatives and ring up or email their admissions people to see what the prospects are. Talking toy our own place might be worthwhile provided they can be impartial. My own experience (via family) with UCs has not been great in this regard.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you have been feeling like this.

I would suggest to talk to the people at your uni and your tutors and see what they think the options are for you. I would also suggest talking to your parents and explaining that you really aren't happy and see if they listen to you at all and see if they have any advice to help you with this.

If you can't transfer without the UCAS points, you could look into doing a foundation course at college maybe or going back to do your a levels if you really think you would be happier at a different University.

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy - SHU student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending