The Student Room Group

Recorded interview help needed (civil service)

Hi

I took the Dwp interview and I was awful!

Despite having suitable responses prepared I just turned into an incoherent mess.

I struggled to look at the camera, didnt get my key points across etc.

I have another 2 to take so wondered if anyone can offer help/advice?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by DO BJ
Hi

Despite having suitable responses prepared I just turned into an incoherent mess.

Thanks

Hi,
For which post you have applied.
I know its hard as i have given some of the video interview, talking to camera makes me so nervous as well , i fumbled and worse is that you can not rerecord it.
i am also preparing what kind of questions they asked? How many chances you get?
My tip maybe practice in mirror.
Reply 2
Original post by DO BJ
Hi

Thanks

Hi ! Can you access the questions to take notes of it before submitting the interview? I’m a little scared to open the link and record myself without any preparation. TYIA
Reply 3
Original post by Pari03
Hi,
For which post you have applied.
I know its hard as i have given some of the video interview, talking to camera makes me so nervous as well , i fumbled and worse is that you can not rerecord it.
i am also preparing what kind of questions they asked? How many chances you get?
My tip maybe practice in mirror.

Hi Work coach
Cant mention specific questions but do use examples based on what you have actually done/do as it’s easier to talk about.
Only one chance apart from the practice question.
Good luck 🤞
Reply 4
Original post by k.menes
Hi ! Can you access the questions to take notes of it before submitting the interview? I’m a little scared to open the link and record myself without any preparation. TYIA

You must have fully prepared for potential questions prior to taking the interview. You only get one minute to think about your response after the question is shown/asked before the recording starts.
🤞 good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by DO BJ
You must have fully prepared for potential questions prior to taking the interview. You only get one minute to think about your response after the question is shown/asked before the recording starts.
🤞 good luck!

I will try and practice now and clear my mind I am just so nervous about it. What behaviours are you assessed with? The one I got in our area is Communicating and Influence , Managing Quality service and Making Effective Decision.
Reply 6
Original post by k.menes
I will try and practice now and clear my mind I am just so nervous about it. What behaviours are you assessed with? The one I got in our area is Communicating and Influence , Managing Quality service and Making Effective Decision.

Yes, thats correct 👍
If nervous and you havent already, turn off the camera view and make it blur you out there should be an option to select this for each question

Get a few example questions and record yourself answering it. It'll most likely be super awkward watching yourself back, we all hate how we sound played back, but once you get used to watching yourself you will have no problem recording answers

Don't worry about focusing on the camera the whole time it's natural to talk expressively with our hands and look around especially when recalling information or memories
You don't want to look like robotic Zuckerberg
Have notes with you and pen and paper when you have the minute to prepare make bullet points to refer to when answering it
Reply 8
Original post by JDSensations
If nervous and you havent already, turn off the camera view and make it blur you out there should be an option to select this for each question

Get a few example questions and record yourself answering it. It'll most likely be super awkward watching yourself back, we all hate how we sound played back, but once you get used to watching yourself you will have no problem recording answers

Don't worry about focusing on the camera the whole time it's natural to talk expressively with our hands and look around especially when recalling information or memories
Have notes with you and pen and paper when you have the minute to prepare make bullet points to refer to when answering it

Thanks, bullet points is a good suggestion I definitely rambled in the first one 🙈
Reply 9
Original post by JDSensations

Thank you this is helping to boost my confidence I have done pre-recorded interview before with Aldi and remembering how I did it before I don’t want to do the same mistake
Another thing to consider, have a good read through the job advert and the information they give.
There will be a breakdown of each behaviour, but also what level of a response they expect for each grade.
An AO won't be required to be as detailed as an SEO

They will tell you which answer styles they are looking for such as S.T.A.R - Situation, Task, Action, Result. This will help you stay on track and avoid going off in the wrong direction.

When answering questions put yourself in the center of everything and answer with I rather than we. They want to know what you did, or would do and how your experience may be relevant to the job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending