The Student Room Group

Getting a summer job but leaving in September to return for Uni

I’ve recently just picked up a job that I plan to stay at till I have to leave in September, so I’ll probably be there for 8-10 weeks.

My contract says nothing about a minimum working time, just that I have to give them a week’s notice. Is there anything I need to watch out about?

They asked me if I was going to uni, obviously because they don’t want to take on someone for a short time, I said I dropped out but I have the option to return. I wish to leave in September and go back to uni, could this be a problem at all for me?

I feel bad but at the same time it’s not like they’re ever going to be short for potential employees. It’s a part time job. Who did they expect to apply other than students or temporary people?

Cheers
Reply 1
I also grabbed the job because I’m desperate for money and need to give some to my parents. Uni wasn’t made for broke people lol.
Reply 2
bump
Original post by MrSoloDolo
I’ve recently just picked up a job that I plan to stay at till I have to leave in September, so I’ll probably be there for 8-10 weeks.

My contract says nothing about a minimum working time, just that I have to give them a week’s notice. Is there anything I need to watch out about?

They asked me if I was going to uni, obviously because they don’t want to take on someone for a short time, I said I dropped out but I have the option to return. I wish to leave in September and go back to uni, could this be a problem at all for me?

I feel bad but at the same time it’s not like they’re ever going to be short for potential employees. It’s a part time job. Who did they expect to apply other than students or temporary people?

Cheers

Hi,

Since you've decided you'll be heading back to uni, maybe let your employer know and tell them until when you'll be able to work for them? Always good to be open and honest, and it will also help you build a lasting relationship with the employer, which might be handy for a temporary job in the future maybe?

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi,

Since you've decided you'll be heading back to uni, maybe let your employer know and tell them until when you'll be able to work for them? Always good to be open and honest, and it will also help you build a lasting relationship with the employer, which might be handy for a temporary job in the future maybe?

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

I would rather not. They wouldn’t hesitate to get rid of me, lower my hours etc.

It’s not like a huge company would ever have any issues getting employees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending