The Student Room Group

placement expenses

Hey nursing students, how much do you roughly spend on travel to your placements?
Original post by leixki
Hey nursing students, how much do you roughly spend on travel to your placements?

Hi there
not a nursing student but I am a fellow health student who has just finished placement. I travelled to different places in the week so the fare was different everyday. The most I spent on travel was £20 in a day. But every other day it was around £4.

Best wishes
Emily
Original post by leixki

It will probably vary from one placement to another due to distance between each other one from where you are living about.

As part of our bursary funding we were given £5 daily travel expenses included with it and if we spent over that amount each day on placement we were able to request a refund for the difference at the end of our placement.
We had to provide evidence of bus tickets or train tickets as part of filling the form out for the difference and if we used our own car we could claim back the extra milage if it worked out more than what we were given as part of our bursary funding.

I think the furthest placements for me was around 18 and 38 miles from my home address as I stayed at home while attending my local university in my own city - this is equivalent of two buses each way and it took about hour and half either way 😕 especially for a early morning start and then the 38 miles placement it would have been about two hours to get there and back due to the way that the bus route went through all the local villages and towns.

Also if we weren't able to get back home after a placement due to the traveling time and distance we were told to book into a local B&B for the duration of the placement and we were able to claim back xx per day as they won't pay for the whole lot.

I don't know how things works with NHS England with claiming back any overspent.... Speak to student finance England about it.

A recent newly qualified adult nurse with NHS Scotland.
Original post by leixki

Hello @leixki

I hope you’re well. As my placement is quite close I get the bus which is £4 return ticket, however if the bus doesn’t arrive I do get a cab which can be between £9-12.

I guess it all varies between how close your placement trust is and mode of transport!

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending