The Student Room Group

What do you do when you have no one to confide in during a breakup?

I haven’t got any friends and my family aren’t great people to confide in, I’m really missing that emotional connection and someone I can be vulnerable with and lean on. I have a therapist I see weekly but it’s not as effective as an interpersonal connection where you get to cry on someone’s shoulder and have a hug and have fun with to take your mind off of things. So what’s the alternative? It’s really killing me emotionally at the moment and I feel so lonely.
Original post by Anonymous
I haven’t got any friends and my family aren’t great people to confide in, I’m really missing that emotional connection and someone I can be vulnerable with and lean on. I have a therapist I see weekly but it’s not as effective as an interpersonal connection where you get to cry on someone’s shoulder and have a hug and have fun with to take your mind off of things. So what’s the alternative? It’s really killing me emotionally at the moment and I feel so lonely.

I'm going through a breakup myself currently and I'm really struggling. Here if you need someone to talk to. I know how you feel, it's so horrible and lonely.
I was in the same position as you about 3 months ago. I don't have a perfect solution, but I can give you a few things that I did, that may or may not help you.

For context I have quite bad anxiety, especially social anxiety.

- Go out for walks, idk where you live, but there is a nice country park near me, it was nice to go and just, take my mind off things the best I could. It was also nice being near people, but people I didn't know, or ever speak to. It made me feel a little less alone, if that makes sense.

- Spend time reflecting on the relationship, but make sure to be kind to yourself when doing so.

- I struggled eating food, so I ate a little whenever I felt slightly hungry. Don't stress about sticking to a regular eating schedule. Prepare healthy food that you can eat bits of throughout the day, thus removing stress around finishing a meal at meal times.

- Talk to yourself. I do this all the time, maybe it just helps to move through my feelings, I'm not sure. A similar strategy would be to journal perhaps.

I hope that helps
And may I add, continue to speak to your therapist, they are an invaluable resource, if you start to get more comfortable with them, I highly recommend bringing the breakup up.
Stoicism is key
Reply 4
Dust yourself off and get on with your life.

I recently had this. Well, I do have mates. But I don't really talk about this stuff with any of them.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
Dust yourself off and get on with your life.

I recently had this. Well, I do have mates. But I don't really talk about this stuff with any of them.

It’s not necessarily talking to your mates about it that helps, it’s about having company outside of the relationship and having social value in others and getting to chat about stuff and have fun the way you would with your partner. I haven’t just lost my bf I’ve lost my only friend
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
It’s not necessarily talking to your mates about it that helps, it’s about having company outside of the relationship and having social value in others and getting to chat about stuff and have fun the way you would with your partner. I haven’t just lost my bf I’ve lost my only friend

Oh, I'm.ok for that other stuff.
Reply 7
Maybe try a new hobby, it’s a distraction as well as a way to make new friends

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending