The Student Room Group

Is it worth repeating a foundation year?

So I'm currently on a foundation year (since my a levels turned out much worse than expected) but I hate the university I'm at. I have considered resitting my a levels but I simply cannot afford it and don't have the time to revise for it again either, as I have lost all of my A level notes.

I created a new UCAS application for transfers into first year at other universities, and have received a some responses. However the modules of my current year are not compatible with most universities, so the credits would not be transferrable. The place I want to firm has offered me an unconditional but to repeat the foundation year, due to the reason I had just mentioned.

Obviously foundation years are supposed to be 'easy' but the modules on the one I'm sitting now are completely nothing to do with my chosen course (e.g. I have purely law, psychology and criminology modules when I picked Business). The reason I'm worried about doing another foundation year is the amount I will have to owe after graduating, but also because whilst living at uni, my elderly mother is living at home by herself, and I'd rather be away for less years.
Original post by caprisun2323
So I'm currently on a foundation year (since my a levels turned out much worse than expected) but I hate the university I'm at. I have considered resitting my a levels but I simply cannot afford it and don't have the time to revise for it again either, as I have lost all of my A level notes.

I created a new UCAS application for transfers into first year at other universities, and have received a some responses. However the modules of my current year are not compatible with most universities, so the credits would not be transferrable. The place I want to firm has offered me an unconditional but to repeat the foundation year, due to the reason I had just mentioned.

Obviously foundation years are supposed to be 'easy' but the modules on the one I'm sitting now are completely nothing to do with my chosen course (e.g. I have purely law, psychology and criminology modules when I picked Business). The reason I'm worried about doing another foundation year is the amount I will have to owe after graduating, but also because whilst living at uni, my elderly mother is living at home by herself, and I'd rather be away for less years.
Hi @caprisun2323

That sounds really tough, and I am sorry to hear that you don't like your current university.

Another thing you would have to consider is that SFE only funds 4 years of study. So assuming that you have already used one year up you only have 3 years left. If you did another foundation year plus a 3 year degree, you could have to self-fund the last year of study.

I would encourage you to seek some advice from the careers team at your current university. The team at my university is great, and they have helped me with various issues many times.

I wish you all the best:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep,
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @caprisun2323

That sounds really tough, and I am sorry to hear that you don't like your current university.

Another thing you would have to consider is that SFE only funds 4 years of study. So assuming that you have already used one year up you only have 3 years left. If you did another foundation year plus a 3 year degree, you could have to self-fund the last year of study.

I would encourage you to seek some advice from the careers team at your current university. The team at my university is great, and they have helped me with various issues many times.

I wish you all the best:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep,
I have asked about student finance and apparently the course would still be fully funded, I'm on an integrated foundation year course right now (making it 4 years) and the course at the place I want to switch is also integrated so 4 years again. I wouldn't have to fund myself as they cover all years of the course +1, I'm just distraught about what to do.

Unfortunately the careers team at my uni are pretty much useless and haven't even replied to my multiple emails from 2 months ago. But thank you :smile:!!
Original post by BCU Student Rep

This is incorrect.

There is no 4 year cap and any shortfall has to be covered by the student in the first year of study, not the last.

The calculation is the duration of the course being applied for + one year. Then deducting the number of prior years study. (source)

This means that if our OP applied to a 3, 4 or 5 year course, they'd be fully funded. They've only used up their 'gift' year.
This is a real shame OP

Could you share where you’re studying a FY and what universities you’re applying to? There might be other universities that you haven’t considered that TSR users can suggest based on your preferences.
Original post by PQ
This is a real shame OP

Could you share where you’re studying a FY and what universities you’re applying to? There might be other universities that you haven’t considered that TSR users can suggest based on your preferences.
I'm currently doing a foundation year at the Uni of Law, I went in through clearing as it was the first that came up (which I regret) and I also didn't know that it was a 'private' uni so they care more about funds than their students. I feel like most tutors aren't even properly qualified and some can barely answer a basic question of my subject without searching on google. This also isn't helpful because I had a really tough time during sixth form with unsupportive teachers again and some horrible students, hence why my a levels were terrible.

I have two conditional offers from Keele and NTU for first year entry, but an unconditional from Brighton HOWEVER I would have to do another foundation year (because of my A levels). I have always wanted to firm Brighton as they seem very supportive but I feel like it's a waste of a year and money to repeat a foundation year, because I'm genuinely not as dumb as my A levels make me look, I have just never had the support I needed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending